Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Induction for health risks, need encouragement!

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:19 AM
  • 14 Replies
  • 225 Total Views

Hi everyone, I'll try to make this is short as possible as it's hard to explain. I had an abruption that healed early in pregnancy. Doctors, and my midwives still recommend induction at 37 weeks. I feel very strongly about induction, but as it's been explained to me by my midwife, whom I like and trust, the abruption is essentially like a scar, and that the further I wait to induce, the more likely it is that my placenta can basically just shut down, resulting in the loss of the baby. That's the vague short version. 37 weeks rolled around, they checked me, and I was 4 cm dialated and about 70 percent effaced. So I declined the induction, which she said was reasonable as he could come on his own soon. Well my last appointment was monday, he still isn't here after almost 2 weeks of very deceptive pre-labor. I am now past 38 weeks. Since 37 weeks I've been doing primrose oil, rasberry leaf tea, nipple stimulation, acupressure, walking, even the eliptical! I can't do sex because it will cause really bad bleeding. So here I am at 38 weeks and they have scheduled an induction for next wednesday. I put off the induction for one more week at my last appointment hoping that he would have come on his own by now but I've been walking around at 4 cm for two weeks now and it's just not happening. Unless he comes before wednesday, I'll have to be induced. They just don't want to push it past 39 weeks. At least he'll be 39 weeks though, right?

Anyway (sorry for that lengthy intro) the induction is scheduled for 8 am on the 13th of february. I still want to do an unmedicated birth. I'm still hoping that just maybe he'll come before then, but he may not. And I was just hoping to hear some encouraging words or some good birth stories about other women who were able to do an induced birth without medication. I'm nervous about it, but I know it's not impossible. Any good thoughts, advice or stories? Anything would be appreciated. Please no comments or pressure discouraging me from the induction. I've discussed it extensively with the midwife and put if off as long as I can. I still really want to have an otherwise natural birth.

by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kierasmommy
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:01 AM
The only "induction" I had with my dd was she swept my membranes and I went into labor 36 hours later. Have you checked your Bishop score? You could be a good candidate for it since you'll be induced anyways.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:08 AM

My VBAC last month was induced due to Gestational Hypertension.  We began with the Foley Bulb, but it almost sounds like you might be dialated too far for it to work for you... 

mama2gg
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:47 AM
I'm so sorry I dp understand things happen when its the best choice for mama and baby (I will be induced as well as I'm on blood thinners and can't go into labor on them they can't ve reversed)

Its hard when all you want is for your water to break and to do everything naturally

Start with basic induction

Get your mw to sweep you NOW and hopefully that's all you need

Then go easy

Prostaglandins (not cytotec)
Pit at BARE minimum

You do NOT have to break your water to start contractions and that puts you on a csection time limi t
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rfhsure
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:16 AM

my bishop score I'd say is about a 10. I have an appointment with the midwife on monday, two days before the induction. last appointment when she checked my cervix she stretched it around a bit to try to get things going. But do you think she probably would have told me if she was sweeping my membranes?

Quoting kierasmommy:

The only "induction" I had with my dd was she swept my membranes and I went into labor 36 hours later. Have you checked your Bishop score? You could be a good candidate for it since you'll be induced anyways.

rfhsure
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:17 AM

yeah, unfortunately she said since I'm so far progressed and dilated they'd want to start me right on pitocin :(

Quoting GoodyBrook:

My VBAC last month was induced due to Gestational Hypertension.  We began with the Foley Bulb, but it almost sounds like you might be dialated too far for it to work for you... 

rfhsure
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:19 AM

it's been hard, my pre-labor has been so intense I was sure I would have gone into labor by now. Last monday the midwife stretched my cervix around when she checked me to try to get some prostaglandins going, but I'm not sure if she swept my membranes. I have another appointment on Monday, it's 2 days before the induction date. I have to drive an hour to appointments so I won't be able to go in any sooner. But I've been thinking about asking her if she'll try it on Monday. I'm so close to going into labor I don't know what else to do.

Quoting mama2gg:

I'm so sorry I dp understand things happen when its the best choice for mama and baby (I will be induced as well as I'm on blood thinners and can't go into labor on them they can't ve reversed)

Its hard when all you want is for your water to break and to do everything naturally

Start with basic induction

Get your mw to sweep you NOW and hopefully that's all you need

Then go easy

Prostaglandins (not cytotec)
Pit at BARE minimum

You do NOT have to break your water to start contractions and that puts you on a csection time limi t

krodden87
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:27 AM
I was induced with my first one because i was preeclamptic. The only drugs i had were the iv for inducing. I had no pain meds and a 14 hour labor with a bigger than average baby but he came out perfect and healthy and thats what matters. Keep us updated on your little valentine :-)
rfhsure
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:31 AM

wow! Tough cookie! I hear so many horror stories about induction. It's not my ideal situation, but I still want to go into it with a positive outlook and not let it ruin my plans. The outcome is the same, I'll definitely end up with a baby, but having an intervention free birth was really important to me, so thanks! :)

Quoting krodden87:

I was induced with my first one because i was preeclamptic. The only drugs i had were the iv for inducing. I had no pain meds and a 14 hour labor with a bigger than average baby but he came out perfect and healthy and thats what matters. Keep us updated on your little valentine :-)

Terpsichore
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Words of advice: get as much sleep as possible, make sure to eat, drink, and pee. Easier said than done.

My sister got pitocen with her first. When it became too much, she asked for pain relief. I don't know what it was except it wasn't an epidural. She got it, but baby came before the pain med kicked in. I've heard several birth stories like that: just when you've reached your absolute limit, the baby comes. 

krodden87
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:29 AM
No problem! Not gonna lie, it sucks, lol but like you said, by the end you will have a baby and thats what counts. :-)

Quoting rfhsure:

wow! Tough cookie! I hear so many horror stories about induction. It's not my ideal situation, but I still want to go into it with a positive outlook and not let it ruin my plans. The outcome is the same, I'll definitely end up with a baby, but having an intervention free birth was really important to me, so thanks! :)

Quoting krodden87:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)