Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birth Plan

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:09 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 180 Total Views

I recently changed to a new OB when I was 28 weeks.  I asked her how she felt about birth plans.  She told me that birth plans lead to higher c-section rates? UMM what?  I am extremely disappointed in the OB's that I have chosen to deliver my baby.  I just know that I have to keep saying what I want and not refusing to give in out of fear!  Has anyone ever heard of this?   I am still going to bring my birth plan to my next appointment and bring it with me when I get ready to deliver at the hospital. 

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
doulala
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Why are you birthing with an OB and why that one?
Why not switch to better care?

Theemom
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:16 AM
:( hopefully she was just having a bad day to have s bad comment. Its not true not all birth plans lead to c section rates. Next appt I would ask her to explained why that is (All birth plans lead to c sections)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by Group Owner on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:36 AM

That is entirely inaccurate! Birth plans lead to a lower c-section rate! How far along are you, right now? You can change providers at any point in your pregnancy, even during labor! It is only too late once the baby is born! Lol! The biggest risk factor for ending up with a c-section is a provider who isn't interested in evidence-based care, who intimidates patients and gives them inaccurate information to try and scare them into during things her way! If at all possible, run far and run fast from this lady! This is a HUGE red flag, Momma and you deserve better! 

I strongly recommend if you stay with this provider, to get a doula ASAP! They don't have to be expensive. Some student doulas work for free for the experience or charge a very small fee! It will be the best thing you do to ensure your safety, while birthing in a hostile environment! You can start at DONA.org. *hug* Best wishes!

mama2gg
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this
What! Lord no

They lower csection rates
Put a mother in control of her birth
Lord you need a doula asap to keep your RIGHTS for your birth in sight
I would also be looking and interviewing a few obs asap
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by Group Owner on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:52 AM
MomTimSaria
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:37 PM

I am 31 weeks along.  I am hiring a doula and I am going to fire this OB.  I was suprised to here her say that.  I am enjoying my pregnancy but I am not enjoying those in the medical field.  I wish we could have afforded home birth but our insurance company covers most of hospital stay. 

MomTimSaria
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you for the DONA website.  Hiring a Doula and will be meeting one on Tuesday!

MyIslandGirls
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:48 AM
2 moms liked this

This is soo sad.. I've been hearing more and more scary stories like this from mothers to be about their OB's! Even some Medwives as well.

Why do we have to micro manage birth? why cant we just support the mother and wait the baby out?

If there is a emergency, well then ok.. but most births just travel along just fine with out people putting thier grubby clock watching fingers into the pot. Birth should be left alone.

louzannalady
by Group Owner on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I completely understand! : ) So glad you are going to find a new provider! You can also call the midwives at free standing birthing centers and they can give you the names of providers who are comfortable with educated patients. : ) They usually hear everything- the good, the bad and the ugly! That is what I have done in the past and I have never been lead astray! : ) Or, you can see if there are any midwives who practice in the hosptial. My last birth was a hospital birthing center with CNM's (certified nurse midwives). : ) 

Quoting MomTimSaria:

I am 31 weeks along.  I am hiring a doula and I am going to fire this OB.  I was suprised to here her say that.  I am enjoying my pregnancy but I am not enjoying those in the medical field.  I wish we could have afforded home birth but our insurance company covers most of hospital stay. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)