Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Blood Types and pregnancy/new borns

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:19 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 305 Total Views

I'm wondering if any of you ladies have some information and/or links regarding this topic. I was told at the hospital that due to my blood type(O+) that my babies are more prone to Jaundice and that subsequent pregnancies could potentially result in further issues for the children.

From doing some online reading I found this which pretty much seems spot on to what I was told:

"if the subsequent babies of the moms who didn't get Rhogam were also Rh-, then they (babies) would have been fine. But if mom's 1st baby was Rh+, THAT baby may or may not have been affected - sometimes with the first pregnancy sensitization occurs and it's the subsequent pregnancies that are affected. Either way, if a Rh+ baby is born to a Rh- mom that has already been sensitized, things do not bode well. If the rest of her babies are Rh-, then she is very lucky and so are her babies."

http://allnurses.com/ob-gyn-nursing/when-mother-type-293510.html

In my case I'm not sure if I was Rh+ or - or what my children were. It's something I'm planning to ask my midwife tomorrow.

Update: Correction BlessedMammaof2 was able to find more accurate information as to what I was told (the RH thing was the closest I could find)

http://www.dukehealth.org/health_library/advice_from_doctors/your_childs_health/newbornjaundice

"A blood type incompatibility between the mother and baby is also a reason to track the newborn’s jaundice more closely. This exists when a mother has the blood type O (and therefore has antibodies against A and B cells) and her newborn is of blood type A or B. This may cause the newborn’s red blood cells to break down more quickly due to maternal antibodies that have leaked into the baby’s bloodstream."

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
GoodyBrook
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:55 PM

I'd never heard this before, but I'm super curious!  I am O+ and both my babies spent a few extra days in the hospital due to jaundice (and hyperbilirubination and polycythemia).  Not once was my blood type pinpointed as the culprit for their jaundice. 

mama2gg
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:39 PM
Rh has nothing to do with blood type ...

I'm o+ never had issues

Dd has slight jaundice nothing that was treated and ds has no issues

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:52 PM
I am also o+
My first born is A+ . He was very jaundice accordng to the doctors and they did mention.blood type, however Im not sure. when he was born they cut the chord right away, rushed hik to nicu and i wasnt able to nursw until 16hrs later. I dont know if he recieved formula or any shots during this time. He stayed 5 day in the hospital, three day in postpartum using the billiblankets and then two days in pediatrics under the large billiruben table thingy (sorrt i dont know the name for it)

My second two i dont remember their bloodtypes, neither had jaundice.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rachelrothchild
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Never heard of that.  My first had jaundice, but he was a 37-weeker.

BlessedMammaof2
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this
I am also O+ blood type. I have never heard of jaundice being related to a mother's blood type.

You aren't RH negative so that wouldn't apply to you at all. Only women who are RH - would be suggested that they even need the Rhogam.

Here's what I've found about it...

http://www.dukehealth.org/health_library/advice_from_doctors/your_childs_health/newbornjaundice

"A blood type incompatibility between the mother and baby is also a reason to track the newborn’s jaundice more closely. This exists when a mother has the blood type O (and therefore has antibodies against A and B cells) and her newborn is of blood type A or B. This may cause the newborn’s red blood cells to break down more quickly due to maternal antibodies that have leaked into the baby’s bloodstream."

So it seems if your baby is born with either A or B blood type then they're more likely to be jaundiced. In my case, both my son and I have O+ blood types and he was still jaundiced at birth.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
only2nknown
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Quoting BlessedMammaof2:

I am also O+ blood type. I have never heard of jaundice being related to a mother's blood type.

You aren't RH negative so that wouldn't apply to you at all. Only women who are RH - would be suggested that they even need the Rhogam.

Here's what I've found about it...

So it seems if your baby is born with either A or B blood type then they're more likely to be jaundiced. In my case, both my son and I have O+ blood types and he was still jaundiced at birth.

Reading this seems a lot more accurate to what I was told. I didn't remember being told so much about the RH thing so much as my blood type(O), my babies blood type(A)...and that the first baby could escape the situation as my body didn't know so much as to what was going on but subsequent babies would be at more and more risk.
Roomfor1more
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I'm O- & RH -, so I get Rhogam at 28 weeks & again after delivery..never heard of moms blood type being a cause for jaundice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)