Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New here :) Diabetic, 2nd pregnancy and don't want induction (long)

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 12:53 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 362 Total Views

Hi all, 

I am here because I had a hard time with my first birth and want more options with #2 who is due in beginning of July. I am a type one diabetic who is very well controlled during pregnancy. My daughter was born at 7 lb 7 oz and healthy. I was "forced" to come in for an induction at 39 weeks (I say forced because I was made to believe that I had no other options) and my body simply was not ready for birth. 

I was given 3 rounds of cervadil over the course of 3 days, and on the 3rd day was given extremely high levels of pitocin and had my water broken by my nurse midwife. I was actually doing great with the contractions until they amped up my pitocin and then they just got out of control-back to back insanely painful contractions and I was only dllated to a 4. Basically I was contracting like I was in transition but I actually wasn't - it was just the pitocin I guess. 

Anyway, of course I ended up having an Epi which I was hoping to avoid. I labored for about 15 hours when I was finally dilated and ready to push. Well...I pushed for 3 hours and could not get her out because I was so tired and laboring on my back. The Epi was so terrible that I could not move anything below my waist, otherwise I would have moved around more, which probably would have helped my labor. 

Beecause my and baby's heartrates were getting dangerous at this point, DD was born with the aid of a vacuum and had a huge hematoma as a result - she ended up being fine. But she also had low blood glucose and jaundice, so we were in the hospital for a total of 8 days before we got to take her home. 

I keep thinking things would have gone differently if I had waited to be induced or waited until I went into labor. My body wasn't ready and I feel that they just forced the issue because of my diabetes. I was well controlled throughout pregnancy and she was not measuring large at ll, so I wish I would have done things differently. 

This time, baby boy is measuring a little bit large (5 and something pounds at 33 weeks) and I feel like they are going to either push a c-section or early induction. I REALLY don't want major abdominal surgery but also don't want that horrible pitocin crap again. 

I guess I'm just looking for advice and support. I am also 38 so I get the added advantage of being super high risk :P. I obviously just want a healthy baby but I feel like there is a better way to do this. 

Thanks all :)

by on May. 31, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
GoodyBrook
by on May. 31, 2013 at 3:55 PM

I had my second baby at age 37 a few months ago, but I guess I don't see it as an age of being "super high risk."  Age is a number, and there are so many other factors to consider...

Both of mine were induced for medical indications, and my first ended in a section. 

Because of the two inductions, I have the feeling that my body just wouldn't go into labor on its own and that I'd remain pregnant forever...  :)  Realistically I know this isn't the case, but at 42.1 weeks with my last I almost believed it!

If there is no VALID indication for an induction, refuse!  Don't show up!  (And a "big" baby is not a valid reason for an induction!!!)

Trust yourself and your body.  Believe that YOU are to protect your child, not to blindly follow what one doctor says.  And don't fear to get a second opinion...  I spoke with three doctors prior to my second induction, and I chose to do what one said:  get an induction and go for my VBAC.  The other two indicated automatic repeat section was the only choice...

Every intervention you have, from stripping of membranes to breaking your water or adding Pitocin or an epidural, increase your chances of having a c-section.  You certainly dodged the bullet on your first pregnancy, mama!  To avoid one again, avoid unnecessary interventions. 

Kiminila
by on May. 31, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Oh I agree! I know we were so close to being sent for a section. I think there is such a problem with fear-mongering (especially since I am diabetic) from the doctors - they start saying things like, placental degradation, stillbirth, large baby, etc. and it scary to hear that as a mom. The "what if"s can really start to erode your confidence. 

Thanks for the words of wisdom :)

GoodyBrook
by on May. 31, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Quoting Kiminila:

Oh I agree! I know we were so close to being sent for a section. I think there is such a problem with fear-mongering (especially since I am diabetic) from the doctors - they start saying things like, placental degradation, stillbirth, large baby, etc. and it scary to hear that as a mom. The "what if"s can really start to erode your confidence. 

Thanks for the words of wisdom :)

I think this is the most disgusting part of what they do...  They try to fit you into their agenda, despite what your birth wishes are.  They "rule" in fear, not in evidence.  :(

There's a group on CM for VBAC Moms.  I wonder if there are any groups for diabetic moms?  If not, feel free to pop in to the VBAC group--even though you're not heading for a VBAC, you ARE trying to avoid a c-section, so you'd be more than welcome!  :)

Have you looked into your local branch of ICAN (the International Cesarean Awareness Network).  They have great advice and information on how to avoid sections...

ALSO, have you considered hiring a doula?  Statistics prove, PROVE that women who have a doula with them in the hospital have a lower incidence of c-sections.  (Perhaps the doctors know they can't push you around as much if you have an informed teammate?)

Roadfamily6now
by on May. 31, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Hey momma! so called "High Risk" here too. 39, grandmultipara, history of 2 c-sections......  going for a homebirth!

I agree with Goody, don't agree to an induction. Honestly, there is no reason to as long as you and baby are doing well.

Kiminila
by on Jun. 1, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Thanks so much for the advice and support ladies :) I have been looking into hiring a doula and checked out the local ICAN breanch. I also for the record don't think we are "old" by any means just that the medical community considers us high risk automatically after age 35. It's silly!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)