Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Looking for a website that lists state laws re: being dropped by an OB

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:19 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 384 Total Views

A gal in another group is feeling her OB might drop her if she doesn't play nice and comply.  She's 34 weeks or so...

Is there a website that lists what OBs can and can't do according to the state they're in?  Can they REALLY drop a client so close to delivery?

(I'll post this in Natural Birth and Parenting, too, but I know you gals have a lot of resources over here)...

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Roadfamily6now
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:44 PM
1 mom liked this

EMTALA is national law

Patient Rights are also national (not sure if it's a "law" though)

Roadfamily6now
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:46 PM

State Health Department should have the information

louzannalady
by Group Owner on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:50 PM

In California, they can. A provider dropped a mom in one of my groups and by state law, he was allowed to for "non-compliance" for planning a VBAC. She was 37 weeks. What state is she in? I can look into it. And can I get a link to the post, so that I can see the specifics. 

GoodyBrook
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Quoting louzannalady:

In California, they can. A provider dropped a mom in one of my groups and by state law, he was allowed to for "non-compliance" for planning a VBAC. She was 37 weeks. What state is she in? I can look into it. And can I get a link to the post, so that I can see the specifics. 

She's in Texas.  Here's the link to the question in the VBAC Mamas group.  I believe you have to "apply" to the group, so unless you're a member you might not be able to view it... 

http://www.cafemom.com/group/1540/forums/read/18789715/Laws_on_a_provider_dropping_you

GoodyBrook
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Quoting louzannalady:

What did she do???!!  Oh, how terrible for her!

Roadfamily6now
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:51 PM

She could also try the Patient Advocate at a local hospital. I'm just not sure where to find one site with ALL the information.

louzannalady
by Group Owner on Jul. 20, 2013 at 11:07 PM

http://www.hcms.org/Template.aspx?id=247

This is a good resource. It is 50/50 on whether she could drop you. I know, a lot of states say after 37 weeks, they cannot drop you. Our state does not seem to spell out when the critical care of a pregnant patient is. And it says she doesn't have to list a specific reason. Just non-compliance. BUT, since you are high-risk and so very far along, she is walking a very, very fine line with talking about terminating your care. And, I do not feel comfortable for you, that this provider is threatening you, to get you do what SHE wants for you. :*(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)