Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are You Listening?

Posted by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 12:05 PM
  • 19 Replies
  • 250 Total Views
1 mom liked this

Presented By:  BibleGateway.com

Are You Listening?

1 Samuel 3:1–21

When was the last time you heard from God? Think about it. Has God’s still, small voice been drowned out by the hum of too much noise from work, family, church and friends?

The adolescent boy Samuel was lying in the temple. It was still night because “the lamp of God had not yet gone out” (the lamp would not have been allowed to go out before morning). Samuel was probably lonely, having been separated from his family and dedicated by his mother Hannah to work for the old, blind priest Eli in the temple. It seems to have been a discouraging time to work there: “The word of the LORD was rare; there were not many visions.” But as Samuel drowsed on his pallet, the sound of his name cut through the flickering dimness.

“Samuel!”

Naturally, Samuel thought Eli had called. “Here I am,” replied the boy. Again, “Samuel!” Again, “Here I am.” Samuel listened keenly, but the summons didn’t come from Eli. God himself called Samuel that evening, and Eli taught the boy the right response: “Speak, LORD, for your servant is listening.”

What made Samuel so ready to hear God’s voice? For one thing, he was a faithful and obedient servant. He was ready to respond to his master, and his willingness made him ready to respond to God as well. He was being faithful in the small things of his everyday life and was therefore entrusted with a great thing, to be a prophet of God and to restore the priesthood’s honor.

Samuel was also in the right place to listen. Are you? His posture invited God to speak to him: faithful, obedient, humble, waiting, receptive. His willingness to respond became instrumental in restoring holiness to the land: “[God] revealed himself to Samuel through his word. And Samuel’s word came to all Israel.”

If you want to hear God speak, do what you can to be ready. Be prepared when you’re in a place of outward silence and sanctuary: as you lay awake in the early hours of the morning, while you wait in your car for your children to get out of school, when you walk the dog in the evening. Seek an inner silence and sanctuary also: Let go of mental noise and emotional confusion. Take deep breaths in and out until your heart and respiration rate slow. Humbly and receptively invite God to speak to you, and wait with faithful and obedient readiness. When God calls your name, respond, “Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening.”

Reflection

1. What are some things that drown out God’s voice for you? What makes it difficult for you to be still in God’s presence?
  2. Are personal sins blocking you from hearing God’s voice? Take time to confess any wrongs you’ve committed and ask God to cleanse you.
  3. Read Psalm 84 to prepare you to spend time in God’s presence.

1 Samuel 3:10
The LORD came and stood there, calling as at the other times, “Samuel! Samuel!” Then Samuel said, “Speak, for your servant is listening.”

Related Readings

Psalms 84:1–12; 86:1–17; Matthew 5:8; John 10:1–6

NIVSocialicons NIV Bible on TwitterNIV Bible on FacebookVisit TheNIVBible.com
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ladybee2009
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 3:25 PM
1 mom liked this

BUMP!

jesusgirl76 Eva
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I've heard Him many times but I need to start listening better
babylove041810
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this
This. I try but I could do better.

Quoting jesusgirl76:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stephs5isenough
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I think we all could do better.  I know I could too.

Quoting babylove041810:

This. I try but I could do better.

Quoting jesusgirl76:

We are Playing, Praying and Learning Together at:

LIVING IN THE ARMS OF JESUS.

Click my tag to follow me there.

Debrowsky Debbie~Admin
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:29 AM

I have always been amazed by this boy Samuel, that even though he was separated from his mother at such a young age to live with an older man, he didn't harbor any bitterness, but had an open and willing heart to God. 
I have to confess when I was going through my deepest and darkest valley, where I felt betrayed by the one I loved, I had a very difficult time quieting my strained heart to listen to the still small voice of God.  But you know, once I did take my small feeble step, He went the distance to meet me with such kind and gentle words.  I could not have made it, without the voice of God, which literally brought life back to me.  I am so thankful that He does speak.

stephs5isenough
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:14 AM

God is AMAZING.  It truly is, when we are the weakest, He shows His power the most.  We are not trying to hang on and do things ourselves.  We all know that we can't to anything like He can.

Quoting Debrowsky:

I have always been amazed by this boy Samuel, that even though he was separated from his mother at such a young age to live with an older man, he didn't harbor any bitterness, but had an open and willing heart to God. 
I have to confess when I was going through my deepest and darkest valley, where I felt betrayed by the one I loved, I had a very difficult time quieting my strained heart to listen to the still small voice of God.  But you know, once I did take my small feeble step, He went the distance to meet me with such kind and gentle words.  I could not have made it, without the voice of God, which literally brought life back to me.  I am so thankful that He does speak.

Click my tag to join me at:

LIVING IN THE ARMS OF JESUS

Debrowsky Debbie~Admin
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Steph, you are so right.   May I ask you how you were able to hear the voice of God when your son passed away?  How did you reason it out and cope?  It seems so huge to me.  I hope you don't mind me asking. I want to understand.

Quoting stephs5isenough:

God is AMAZING.  It truly is, when we are the weakest, He shows His power the most.  We are not trying to hang on and do things ourselves.  We all know that we can't to anything like He can.

Quoting Debrowsky:

stephs5isenough
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Events surrounding the time that Justin died were many and mixed up.  Though he had been in the hospital many times throughout his life, looking back, this last round of hospital stays was a little different.  My husband and I were rarely together.  I was always at the hospital with Justin and the doctors while my husband was holding up the homefront, working and doing all my Mom duties with the other kids.  We did all get together most every night as a family at the hospital but we weren't really together except for a few minutes.  Justin weas sleeping much of the time.  He was weak.  Looking back, I can see how God was preparing me for his death during all this time.  At the time it was happening, I kind of saw it because thoughts (God) was saying things to me that he hadn't during all the previous hospital stays.  I kept trying to dismiss them because I didn't want my son to die and I was sure that God was going to pull him through just as he had been doing for the previous 6 years.  But, God was preparing me during those times.  The morning he did die and thereafter, we were surrounded by a very loving church family as well as the 2 ladies who cared for Justin from the Holistic clinic.  (He was being cared for by a holistic clinic as well as the oncologist).  Anyway,all that time God used in preparing me in that time I spent alone before, then being surrounded with His love when it happened and the memories of the changes I saw God do in people's lives through Justin's life for HIS (God's) own glory were all ways God used to speak to me, get me through and just minister to me and my family.  God truly did do great and wonderful things through Justin's life~and He still is using Justin's life for HIS (God's) glory today.

Quoting Debrowsky:

Steph, you are so right.   May I ask you how you were able to hear the voice of God when your son passed away?  How did you reason it out and cope?  It seems so huge to me.  I hope you don't mind me asking. I want to understand.

Quoting stephs5isenough:

Quoting Debrowsky:

Click my tag to follow me to:

LIVING IN THE ARMS OF JESUS,

Where we Play, Pray and Learn Together

Debrowsky Debbie~Admin
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Quoting stephs5isenough:

Events surrounding the time that Justin died were many and mixed up.  Though he had been in the hospital many times throughout his life, looking back, this last round of hospital stays was a little different.  My husband and I were rarely together.  I was always at the hospital with Justin and the doctors while my husband was holding up the homefront, working and doing all my Mom duties with the other kids.  We did all get together most every night as a family at the hospital but we weren't really together except for a few minutes.  Justin weas sleeping much of the time.  He was weak.  Looking back, I can see how God was preparing me for his death during all this time.  At the time it was happening, I kind of saw it because thoughts (God) was saying things to me that he hadn't during all the previous hospital stays.  I kept trying to dismiss them because I didn't want my son to die and I was sure that God was going to pull him through just as he had been doing for the previous 6 years.  But, God was preparing me during those times.  The morning he did die and thereafter, we were surrounded by a very loving church family as well as the 2 ladies who cared for Justin from the Holistic clinic.  (He was being cared for by a holistic clinic as well as the oncologist).  Anyway,all that time God used in preparing me in that time I spent alone before, then being surrounded with His love when it happened and the memories of the changes I saw God do in people's lives through Justin's life for HIS (God's) own glory were all ways God used to speak to me, get me through and just minister to me and my family.  God truly did do great and wonderful things through Justin's life~and He still is using Justin's life for HIS (God's) glory today.

Quoting Debrowsky:

Quoting stephs5isenough:

Quoting Debrowsky:

wow, what a beautiful answer for such a painful time period.   I still stand in amazment how all of you made it through.  really.     May I ask another question?   how does God use Justin's life for His glory in your eyes?

stephs5isenough
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:00 PM

As our church family watched him, from the time he was a baby, grow and deal with his disease through his life they were always there supporting him/us through much prayer as well as with meeting our physical needs and always helping us out with the kids or any other way they saw a need for.  As other people visited  the church, they couldn't help but learn about Justin because he was talked about and prayed for in every service and many Sunday School classes.  One lady finally told me that she joined our church after coming and continually seeing and feeling the love the church and God had for this little boy.  She had always lived a very rough life herself and just felt that she needed that love too.  There were at least two other similar stories that I know of during Justin's lifetime.  There is also one man whose wife and son had been a Christian and a member of our church for a few years.  The man was not a Christian and his wife and the church prayed for him for a long time.  He came with his wife to Justin's funeral and was saved.  He is now one of our church guitarist and is very active in the Lord's work.

Justin's was able to allow God's love to shine through him with many of his friends and even with many adults who worked with him at school or in the medical area.  His best friend is a Jew and is being raised in the religion.  He is now in the 8th grade and is still seeking out ways to get closer to Justin again.  I am hoping and praying that by continuing to do that, he will find God.

A small play castle was built at a local outdoor theater and garden in celebration of Justin's life.  The Emily Ann Theater&Gardens is a place where people come from all around to visit the Hill Country style trail of lights as well as the annual Butterfly Days in the spring time.  Many plays are presented there throughout the year.  It is a very healing place that does celebrate life.  It was begun in honor of Emily Ann who was a local high school girl who was killed when a young man was committing suicide in his car.  He chose Emily's car to run into.  Her parents are strong Christians and are in charge of the gardens.  God is a very evident presence to the many visitors.  Through Justin, the play castle has been built and Justin's learning maze is almost complete which will be an interactive pathway to the castle.  A whole educational forest and kingdom is in the works surrounding the castle.   This will be a whole area for kids of all ages to enjoy while they are at the theater&gardens.  The message of Christ will be interwoven throughout the kingdom so children will be learning about him as they play.  You can go to my page and find the link to a Face-book page for the castle but so much has happened and is continuing to happen since I have last updated it.  I need to update it again and post some more pictures of what is happening.  It's just hard to find the time. 

There are really many other ways that I have seen Justin's life honor God and it is really so hard to tell, especially in writing.  But, I can tell you that his life was not a waste.  It was used for God's glory while he was here and is still being used that way.

Quoting Debrowsky:

Quoting stephs5isenough:

Quoting Debrowsky:

Quoting stephs5isenough:

Quoting Debrowsky:

wow, what a beautiful answer for such a painful time period.   I still stand in amazment how all of you made it through.  really.     May I ask another question?   how does God use Justin's life for His glory in your eyes?

Click my tag to follow me to:

LIVING IN THE ARMS OF JESUS,

Where we Play, Pray and Learn Together

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN