Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Presented By:  BibleGateway.com

Are You Listening?

1 Samuel 3:1–21

When was the last time you heard from God? Think about it. Has God’s still, small voice been drowned out by the hum of too much noise from work, family, church and friends?

The adolescent boy Samuel was lying in the temple. It was still night because “the lamp of God had not yet gone out” (the lamp would not have been allowed to go out before morning). Samuel was probably lonely, having been separated from his family and dedicated by his mother Hannah to work for the old, blind priest Eli in the temple. It seems to have been a discouraging time to work there: “The word of the LORD was rare; there were not many visions.” But as Samuel drowsed on his pallet, the sound of his name cut through the flickering dimness.

“Samuel!”

Naturally, Samuel thought Eli had called. “Here I am,” replied the boy. Again, “Samuel!” Again, “Here I am.” Samuel listened keenly, but the summons didn’t come from Eli. God himself called Samuel that evening, and Eli taught the boy the right response: “Speak, LORD, for your servant is listening.”

What made Samuel so ready to hear God’s voice? For one thing, he was a faithful and obedient servant. He was ready to respond to his master, and his willingness made him ready to respond to God as well. He was being faithful in the small things of his everyday life and was therefore entrusted with a great thing, to be a prophet of God and to restore the priesthood’s honor.

Samuel was also in the right place to listen. Are you? His posture invited God to speak to him: faithful, obedient, humble, waiting, receptive. His willingness to respond became instrumental in restoring holiness to the land: “[God] revealed himself to Samuel through his word. And Samuel’s word came to all Israel.”

If you want to hear God speak, do what you can to be ready. Be prepared when you’re in a place of outward silence and sanctuary: as you lay awake in the early hours of the morning, while you wait in your car for your children to get out of school, when you walk the dog in the evening. Seek an inner silence and sanctuary also: Let go of mental noise and emotional confusion. Take deep breaths in and out until your heart and respiration rate slow. Humbly and receptively invite God to speak to you, and wait with faithful and obedient readiness. When God calls your name, respond, “Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening.”

Reflection

1. What are some things that drown out God’s voice for you? What makes it difficult for you to be still in God’s presence?
  2. Are personal sins blocking you from hearing God’s voice? Take time to confess any wrongs you’ve committed and ask God to cleanse you.
  3. Read Psalm 84 to prepare you to spend time in God’s presence.

1 Samuel 3:10
The LORD came and stood there, calling as at the other times, “Samuel! Samuel!” Then Samuel said, “Speak, for your servant is listening.”

Related Readings

Psalms 84:1–12; 86:1–17; Matthew 5:8; John 10:1–6

NIVSocialicons NIV Bible on TwitterNIV Bible on FacebookVisit TheNIVBible.com
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 12:05 PM
Replies (11-19):
Debrowsky Debbie~Admin
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Oh my goodness- that's like a ripple in a pond.  Don't you find it mysterious and wonderous how through Justins, Emilys and others life struggles or tragedy brings an increase of faith and life in so many others?
I can't get over how the memory of lost ones is so highly treasured and maintained in everyday life.  Is this why you are so comforted and able to move on? 

Do you think you would feel so positive and comforted if you did not believe in God or that he wasn't in a heavenly place?

stephs5isenough
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Yes Debbie, it is just a ripple.  There is so much more that I am aware of and can't even express and I know tht there is and will be a lot more that I/we may never know about until we reach Heaven.  I do find much comfort in this fact.   I know that his life had and continues to have great impact in eternal purposes.

I have seen many non-Christians go through cancer and death.  They have no hope and many times allow  it to ruin their whole lives and the lives of their families.  They don't have the hope that we do, knowing that their loved one is in a safe place with Jesus and the knowledge that they will one day be reunited. 

So no,  If I did not have the knowledge of God and I and Justin were not Christians, I would not be in the place I am in now.  It is impossible do without God.

Quoting Debrowsky:

Oh my goodness- that's like a ripple in a pond.  Don't you find it mysterious and wonderous how through Justins, Emilys and others life struggles or tragedy brings an increase of faith and life in so many others?
I can't get over how the memory of lost ones is so highly treasured and maintained in everyday life.  Is this why you are so comforted and able to move on? 

Do you think you would feel so positive and comforted if you did not believe in God or that he wasn't in a heavenly place?

Click my tag to follow me to:

LIVING IN THE ARMS OF JESUS,

Where we Play, Pray and Learn Together

Debrowsky Debbie~Admin
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Oh Steph,  I love what you have shared in all of this.  I hope it didn't pain you to speak of it.   It's always a marvel to me how God moves in and out amongst us with His ways.    I find your testimony far more positive than most I've heard, giving me pause to think that you have given Him more freedom to reign in your heart.
I hope you share more.  

hugging

stephs5isenough
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 3:01 PM

It does not pain me at all to speak about Justin and everything else.  I was actually just disgussing with Emily's brother last night about that.  He an I both agree that what bothers us more is when people are so careful not to talk about it or ask questions and things.  When people do talk about our loved one or engage us in conversation about them, we know that people remember and it really feels good to talk about them.  I would love to talk about Justin at any time. I will answer any questions or just talk.  Thank You for this conversation you have gotten me in.  I have enjoyed it. 

A main thing that I want to tell people, Don't avoid talking to people about or mentioning their loved one.  Most will appreciate it.

Quoting Debrowsky:

Oh Steph,  I love what you have shared in all of this.  I hope it didn't pain you to speak of it.   It's always a marvel to me how God moves in and out amongst us with His ways.    I find your testimony far more positive than most I've heard, giving me pause to think that you have given Him more freedom to reign in your heart.
I hope you share more.  

hugging

We are Playing, Praying and Learning Together at:

LIVING IN THE ARMS OF JESUS.

Click my tag to follow me there.

sithmama
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 3:05 PM
2 moms liked this

Stephanie, I just got chills reading everything you wrote about Justin. Thank you for sharing.

stephs5isenough
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Thank You Dez.

Quoting sithmama:

Stephanie, I just got chills reading everything you wrote about Justin. Thank you for sharing.

Debrowsky Debbie~Admin
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 3:22 PM

whew! that makes me feel more at ease then.   To be honest with you, I have noticed that some people can't talk very well about loved ones that have passed on.   Does it depend how much time has gone by, or is there something more deeper under the surface that causes this?    I never know from one person to the other what freedom there might be in mentioning their names and reminiscing about them. 
Can you give more ideas as how to talk to people and when?      Cause when I look at the picture of Justin, I can't help but be drawn to him and find out who he is.    He's so darn cute!   

Thanks Steph, for being the kind of person who helps us in our own quest for understanding  life.

Quoting stephs5isenough:

It does not pain me at all to speak about Justin and everything else.  I was actually just disgussing with Emily's brother last night about that.  He an I both agree that what bothers us more is when people are so careful not to talk about it or ask questions and things.  When people do talk about our loved one or engage us in conversation about them, we know that people remember and it really feels good to talk about them.  I would love to talk about Justin at any time. I will answer any questions or just talk.  Thank You for this conversation you have gotten me in.  I have enjoyed it. 

A main thing that I want to tell people, Don't avoid talking to people about or mentioning their loved one.  Most will appreciate it.

Quoting Debrowsky:

I hope you share more.  

hugging

stephs5isenough
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 3:46 PM

My aunt and sister-in-law are two of thos people.  My aunt is Christian so I don't know why she cries so easily about just talking.  All I can think of is that she has a very easily "walked all over" personality.  She is very timid and can't stand up for herself at all.  That personality is the only thing that I can think of for her. 

My sister-in-law on the other hand is not Christian so I'm sure that is the reason.  Actually she can talk about Justin now but at the time he died her and my aunt are the ones that were "wailing" at his funeral.  For our immediate family and most of our church family his funeral was a sad time, but yet it was a time of rejoicing too in the fact that he was now with Jesus~where we all want to be some day.  For othere people around us, no I can't really answer your question well.  I do think that a lot of it might be how much time has passed.  I think in that case, a gentle mention is still good because carefully walking around the subject is still very hurtful.  It is obvious when someone is intentionally not mentioning.  Be prepared for a tear or two.  That is why you want to be gentle.   For picking out those who would get upset about it after more time has passed~I can't really tell you how to pick them out.  I'm sorry.  I just don't know.  I do know that for many, it is a good thing. 

Quoting Debrowsky:

whew! that makes me feel more at ease then.   To be honest with you, I have noticed that some people can't talk very well about loved ones that have passed on.   Does it depend how much time has gone by, or is there something more deeper under the surface that causes this?    I never know from one person to the other what freedom there might be in mentioning their names and reminiscing about them. 
Can you give more ideas as how to talk to people and when?      Cause when I look at the picture of Justin, I can't help but be drawn to him and find out who he is.    He's so darn cute!   

Thanks Steph, for being the kind of person who helps us in our own quest for understanding  life.

Quoting stephs5isenough:

Quoting Debrowsky:

I hope you share more.  

hugging

Debrowsky Debbie~Admin
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 4:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Good answers, I will take them to heart.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)