Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Witnessing?

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:11 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 103 Total Views

Do you witness to people? I have a hard time with this. Not that I have a problem sharing what I believe or talking about God but I don't want to be one of those people that "shoves God down their throats" I would have no problem telling someone what I believed or telling them about Jesus if the topic should arise or if they asked me.  I have worked with a lot of non believers and I know how the see it when Christians try to talk to them about God or Jesus. I don't really see it being effective at all to talk to those people about God when they don't want to hear it. If anything it seems like it pushes them further away. I know I get annoyed when the mormons come knocking on my door. I havent really ran across anyone that wanted to talk about God or Jesus but maybe thats because now that I am not working I am not really meeting or talking to many people. I feel like Im not doing my job as a Christian but then again maybe Im a pinkie toe inside a shoe in the body of Christ rather than a mouth. I don't really know at this point in my life. On one hand I feel like I should be doing more on the other I don't really feel God leading me to do anything. I think right now maybe my job is to grow as a Christian and to take care of my family. I guess I am just wondering if Im the only one feeling this way or what peoples thoughts were on witnessing. Im not a good conversation starter as it is and am not good at talking to people I dont know. I just don't know how I could be effective.  Maybe its Satan trying to get me to focus on works rather than me just listening to God?

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Debrowsky Debbie~Admin
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:07 PM

I'm kinda of like you.   I have to see that there is some reasonable indication that they are interested and able to listen.   I am such a black and white type of person, and it's taken me time to see that not everyone talks or thinks in the same way.   I prefer seeing a situation where there may be a need that God can answer, thus opening up possible sharing.    I have never gone out to witness like some do, it doesn't feel too natural to me either.

sweetnana1964
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:56 PM
1 mom liked this

You are not not alone. I feel like that as well many times. There are times when our actions can speak EVEN LOUDER then our words. So I always TRY to Do the Chirstian thing. Sometimes that gets through to people better then any words

BeautyFull
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:12 AM
2 moms liked this

There are alot of people that because they are Christians they need to go out and witness per say.  But here is my advice from my experience.  The bible says that we are the light of the world, the best thing any Christian can do is not by talking but by showing others how to live.  If you live according to the word of God, people will see it in you and you will be given an opportunity to share the good news because they will want to know.  Thats why it is important to always be ready, let your words be seasoned with salt.  Another thing you need to be mindful of is that not everyone are called to be preachers, pastors.  You can lead people to God threw helping, serving or even acts of kindness.

Swt7
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:22 AM
2 moms liked this
Ecc 3:1,wait for the right time.
Clei420
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:46 AM
3 moms liked this

I believe you can witness to people by the way you live and treat all people. Everyone isn't gonna be receptive to  Gods love for us through Jesus becausse of "Christians" that are bible beaters, VERY judgemental, and just mean and hateful. I have recently started a job where I would around A LOT of homosexual and transgender individuals. This is my first time EVER being around someone that is transgender. I had to pray hard and a lot because I honestly didn't know how to handle being around transgender individuals. God spoke to me clear as day and asked me did I love you any different when you lived as if you didn't love me. I was blown away and at that point I knew that my way of witnessing to them is to pray for them and to love them right where they are. You never know what someone has gone through to cause them to feel and behave the way they do. So just love people treat them kind and when the time is right the perfect opportunity will arise when you can minister to people. 

munchkin79
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Glad to hear I am not alone. Clei420 that is an awesome example I think. I know the church I grew up in would have said not to take that job and they prob would have tried to witness to them from a far judgmental kind of way or they would juststay away from those people which I do not believe is the right thing to do at all. Living th way God wants us to and loving others is a hard enough thing for me to work on right now. I guess thats why I don't really feel God leading me to do anything else at the moment.

Plethorarosie
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:46 PM

BUMP!

EthansMomma2010
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I took a 2 week evangelism class in September. Here are two things I learned. 1) It is important for people to feel acknowledged. A lot of time Christians want to defned their viewpoint and fail to acknowledge that, while maybe misguided, the other person has valid points and concerns. If you acknowledge someone's point of view, they are much more likely to listen. 2) Christianity is a bet you can't lose. If you are wrong, the worst that can happen is you died a good person. But if you are right, and God does expect us to recieve Him and seek Him, then you have won the greatest bet of your life.

I have also realized that praying for opportunities is huge! Just recently God broke my heart about what a terrible witness I have been to the guys I go to school with. I was thriving on their sexual attentions and encouraging them as well as participating in dirty jokes and foul language. I realized that soon I will be gone from those people, but I will enter a new workplace most likely also filled with men. So I asked forgiveness and help to change. I asked for God to even now be preparing my workplace and preparing me to be a witness. But I also asked that if there were any way to repair my reputation with the people at school that He would do that as well. Well, I'm far from perfect, the Saturday night I had an awesome opportunity to share my faith and to discuss some hot topics from a Christian viewpoint with one of my lab partners. It was truly amazing. I was so humbled that even though I'm still failing, I was able to witness. Praying for those opportunities is really important.

kirbymom
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Quoting munchkin79:

Do you witness to people? I have a hard time with this. Not that I have a problem sharing what I believe or talking about God but I don't want to be one of those people that "shoves God down their throats" I would have no problem telling someone what I believed or telling them about Jesus if the topic should arise or if they asked me.  I have worked with a lot of non believers and I know how the see it when Christians try to talk to them about God or Jesus. I don't really see it being effective at all to talk to those people about God when they don't want to hear it. If anything it seems like it pushes them further away. I know I get annoyed when the mormons come knocking on my door. I havent really ran across anyone that wanted to talk about God or Jesus but maybe thats because now that I am not working I am not really meeting or talking to many people. I feel like Im not doing my job as a Christian but then again maybe Im a pinkie toe inside a shoe in the body of Christ rather than a mouth. I don't really know at this point in my life. On one hand I feel like I should be doing more on the other I don't really feel God leading me to do anything. I think right now maybe my job is to grow as a Christian and to take care of my family. I guess I am just wondering if Im the only one feeling this way or what peoples thoughts were on witnessing. Im not a good conversation starter as it is and am not good at talking to people I dont know. I just don't know how I could be effective.  Maybe its Satan trying to get me to focus on works rather than me just listening to God?

NO! Not a chance!  You are just trying to do all that you feel like you should do, that you were taught. And there is nothing wrong with that.  Perhaps I can give you a different perspective.  

Witnessing.  

Witnessing is not always about opening our mouths and saying a bunch of words.  Sometimes it's about how we live our day to day lives.  Sometimes our witnessing is how we weather the storms in our lives.  How we still believe and have that faith that God gave us even though we are at the worst level of living or having the worst day or the worst year.  Even though a loved one  or a friend has been taken out of this life and we don't play that blame game with God. I will even give you a personal example of what I am talking about. 

One day about 13 years ago, our oldest had just turned 3 and had started getting sick.  Now we did all the things that parents do, medicine, prayer more medicine but nothing seemed to work and then new things started happening and hitting her with her sickness. Well, after about couple of weeks, I told my hubby one night during an especially bad spell of our daughter's sickness that she wasn't getting any better and said that we needed to take her to the emergency room and find out why she was still sick. Well, that is exactly what we did. That day was one of the worst of my life. For in that day I was told my daughter was dieing from cancer and only had a month to live. That we were to get her affairs in order.  Well, From that moment on, I no longer heard anyone. I didn't hear anyone because the Lord had started to speak to me. he told me that she was going to be a personal and physical testimony for Him. That she was going to be healed. That she would not only just be healed, but she would be changed. Changed from the top of her head down to the very bottoms of her feet. Even her molecules would be changed. Everything but her actual DNA.  She would still be our child by blood but that she would be having the Lord live in her. Well, at the time, I didn't know that I was shaking my head back and forth.  Everyone thought I was denying what I had been told.  Well, we get her checked into a hospital that specialized in these things. Now at the time we were also a part of a church and had been going up until this happened. I also didn't know at that time that my husband was having a very difficult time with this.  He was sort of struggling through it while I had been give a rock solid faith from God.  Well, it seems that our assistant pastor was going through something inside of himself and knew what kind of a relationship that my husband had with our creator. Our assistant pastor called and asked us to come over that he wanted to talk with my husband. He came. He asked David  some rather pointed and direct questions about how he was handling this thing with our daughter. My husband was quite frank and quite direct with his answers. He talked about his struggle and even confessed that he was looking for a place in himself where he was blaming God for letting this happen.  He then said that even though he looked around for this blame factor towards God, he couldn't find it in himself to go there. That if  God had decided to take our little girl then he would be thankful that God had allowed this short time with her and would forever be grateful for that time too.  Our assistant pastor left that day with a very heavy heart. And I was in shock to find that my husband had gone through something like that. Especially as I knew our daughter wasn't going to die.  Well, it was on the first day of the second week that our daughter was doing her daily check up with her doctor. You know what? They had gone inside her body for the umpteenth time looking for her cancer and looking to see how it was reacting to all the med's they were grieving her.  They never found another sign of her cancer. She was completely healed. Just as God had spoken to me on the very first day she had been diagnosed with her cancer.  Now through all of this, my husband and I didn't go through that typical fighting and blaming one another as happens to most couples who go through this.  In fact, we were getting even more bonded and stronger as each day passed. We lived our lives as we had always done. Only making a few concessions because of the added things that needed to be done for our daughter.  Now to the very point of all this.   What neither my husband nor myself knew was, every single person around us, people we knew plus people we didn't know, were watching our every move. Our every look. our every word proceeding out of our mouth.  And were so very blessed by our lives. that we were living as best we could despite everything that was happening that seemingly appeared to be negative and detrimental to us.  We didn't know how much and how deeply we  were being a witness for God and to God. We were only let in on this much later down the road.  People came to us and let us know and thanked us for living our lives the way we did. They said they were blessed watching us walk through our lives and not giving up and not turning negative, not even blaming God as most do when having to go through all that we had been going through. There were other things that were way laying us at the same time. A loss of job, home, church. And we just kept on living, doing the best that we could with what we had. God provided everything we needed, When we needed it.  

So what I am trying to tell you is, you are not in that negative place that you think you are. That Satan has nothing whatsoever to do with your feelings and struggles. You are just on the back side of the desert right now. That is a great place to be. Here is where you can be alone with God and can learn to listen and talk with God. Even to learn to hear His voice out of all those other boices that try and vie for your attention. How you live your life is your very testimony to those around you. THAT is your Witness. So, please do not feel like you are somehow not doing enough. I don't feel that is the case.  So start having a postive thought and an uplifted heart, for God is there with you, helping you every step of the way.  :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN