Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hearing the Voice of God-Even on the Job

Posted by (Stephanie) on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:40 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 223 Total Views

Today's Prayer
Don't be disappointed in your teens' attitude and involvement (or lack thereof) in ministry. Instead, give them a challenge; raise the bar; make worship and ministry REAL to them. Make sure you are being a good example?and pray. "Dear God, please send the right people and circumstances into my teen's life to influence them for good and for you. I pray for my church youth leaders, school teachers and all authorities in my child's life. I pray for these leaders' souls, for their attitudes, and for wisdom in leading today's teens in the right direction. I pray for my teen's heart and soul and for all of his/her friends; that you will keep tugging and speaking to them, that they will listen to your call and follow wisdom. Please protect them Father. In Jesus' name I commit them to you. Amen.

Hearing the Voice of God-Even on the Job
TGIF Today God Is First Volume 2, by Os Hillman
03-27-2013

"I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me. . . . My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me" (John 10:14,27).

Tom Fox is a successful financial investment manager who heads up a workplace ministry in the Twin Cities, Minnesota area. He used to be troubled when he heard Christians say, "The Lord told me . . . " He certainly had never heard God speak to him like that. "What is different about those people and me?" he wondered. In the book of John, Tom had read that Jesus had said that His sheep hear His voice, but he didn't understand how they could do that. His pursuit to answer that question began his quest to discover how to hear God's voice himself.

Today, Tom realizes that God does speak and that we, as His children, can hear His voice. He has discovered how to hear God's words of guidance in his daily life, which includes the day-to-day operations of his business, and he is teaching others how to hear God's voice as well.

A friend of mine told me a story about an experience he had in Israel that demonstrates how sheep know their shepherd's voice. He and his wife were visiting some of the famous biblical sites when they saw a group of shepherds and their flocks. They watched as three different shepherds put their sheep in the same pen for the night, and they wondered how in the world the shepherds would separate their sheep the next day, since none of them had any identifying marks on them.

My friend got up early the next morning to watch the shepherds gather their sheep. The first shepherd went over to the pen and called out to his sheep. One by one, his sheep (and only his sheep) filed out to follow him. The same thing happened with the other two shepherds. My friend said it was amazing to watch how only the shepherd's sheep followed him while the others remained in the pen--and all because they recognized his voice. What a picture of Jesus' words spoken centuries earlier.

Ask God to help you hear the voice of God--even on the job.

Today God Is First (TGIF) devotional message, Copyright by Os Hillman, Marketplace Leaders.

by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom1T2Ldh
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:21 AM

my question is this  how do you separate your minds thoughts to hear God's voice.

stephs5isenough Stephanie
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:26 AM

On thing you must do if you think you might e hearing the voice of God is to check it with the Bible.  God will never tell you something that is against the Bible.

Other than that, sped time in prayer and meditation.  Don't jump hastily.

Quoting mom1T2Ldh:

my question is this  how do you separate your minds thoughts to hear God's voice.

We are Praying, Playing and Learning Together at

LIVING IN THE ARMS OF JESUS

Click my tag to follow me there.

mom1T2Ldh
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:19 PM

ok

Debrowsky Debbie~Admin
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Ya, that's pretty much how I've come along on learning that too.  trial and error, it has to be something that doesn't violate God's Word, and you will begin to see if what you heard comes to pass or happens.  I have found some of what I thought was God, but was really my own personal emotions rising up.  Like Stephanie said, don't be afraid to spend serious time, listening and talking.  The  more you give up wanting what you want for an answer and being willing to hear whatever He wants, the more likely He will give an answer.   He has no desire to answer someone who is double minded, or unwilling to lay down their own wants.   He wants a a clear and still mind.  Once the two of you have a good repor with each other, He then speaks more clearly to you throughout even a busy and acitve day, because you can more readily pick out His way of answering you.

James 1: 2-8

Trials and Temptations

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters,[a] whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.

mom1T2Ldh
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:43 PM

death is just not a easy trail to face with joy.

Debrowsky Debbie~Admin
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:40 PM

This is true, there seems to be a mixture of joy and grieving with some trials.  Grieving from the perspective of the loss of someone you love, but joy in knowing that you are not alone in facing or walking through the trial, and the ever present help and comfort which God brings as we lean into His heart. 

Forgive me for being forward, but are you facing such a trial?  big smile mini

Quoting mom1T2Ldh:

mom1T2Ldh
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:44 PM

yes we lost are baby girl back in Aug of this yearshe was 16yrs old and is now 17 in heaven.

Quoting Debrowsky:

This is true, there seems to be a mixture of joy and grieving with some trials.  Grieving from the perspective of the loss of someone you love, but joy in knowing that you are not alone in facing or walking through the trial, and the ever present help and comfort which God brings as we lean into His heart. 

Quoting mom1T2Ldh:

stephs5isenough Stephanie
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I am so sorry for your loss.  The death of a child is a very hard thing to face.  It's not supposed to happen that way.  We all think our children will bury us.  It just makes no sense.  I to have lost a child.  My son Justin died when he was 6.  He should now be turning 12 on the 19 of this month. 

Let me ask you this, Was your daughter a Christian?

Quoting mom1T2Ldh:

yes we lost are baby girl back in Aug of this yearshe was 16yrs old and is now 17 in heaven.

Quoting Debrowsky:

Quoting mom1T2Ldh:

Click my tag to follow me to:

LIVING IN THE ARMS OF JESUS,

Where we Play, Pray and Learn Together

Debrowsky Debbie~Admin
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Even though I have had to deal with the deaths of my parents and brother, I think that the loss of one of my children would be even harder to deal with.  My deepest sympathy goes out to you, Angie, as you surely miss her.  I have great admiration for those who persevere through the healing process to find the joy of knowing that they are greatly loved by God, no matter what situation they have to walk through.  May His presence fill every void that you feel right now in your heart, and that you come to honestly see that your cup is not empty, but full of the highest treasures the Kingdom of God has to give us.

To your peace of mind and heart, dear sister.

bow down

Quoting mom1T2Ldh:

Quoting Debrowsky:

Quoting mom1T2Ldh:

Debrowsky Debbie~Admin
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Stephanie, to this day, I am so amazed as to your loving testimony about your son.  Thank you for freely sharing where your thoughts and heart are to us.  They give me hope and courage for such a trial.

Quoting stephs5isenough:

I am so sorry for your loss.  The death of a child is a very hard thing to face.  It's not supposed to happen that way.  We all think our children will bury us.  It just makes no sense.  I to have lost a child.  My son Justin died when he was 6.  He should now be turning 12 on the 19 of this month. 

Let me ask you this, Was your daughter a Christian?

Quoting mom1T2Ldh:

Quoting Debrowsky:

Quoting mom1T2Ldh:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)