Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Catholic Priest said, "Baby goes to hell"

Posted by (Mersija~Admin) on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:43 PM
  • 47 Replies
  • 1233 Total Views
1 mom liked this

The words below are not my own,but from a sister in Christ,i thought this would be a great conversation.

What are your beliefs regarding babies dying and going to hell.

Please,no opinions and no debating.

So as im straightening up books in the library, i came across a book titled baptists beliefs. So i opened it and was skimming through the pages. I come upon the baptism chapter. The author tells of a story he encountered of a lady who's baby had died and she went to the police station for help because she was in hysterics. So the police station calls this author who was a pastor for the area. Well lady cried to him saying her baby had died and she called a priest for prayer over the baby. And the priest said its too late that the baby was in hell because she didn't get the child baptized. She said she didn't have the funds to do so. So the pastor calmed her down and shared with her how her baby was in heaven not hell in connection of Matthew 18:1-10. 
How dare a priest or anyone for that matter say children/babies go to hell for not being baptized!!!

How can a baby/child go to hell if he/she is too young for accountability?

by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GirlIsBlue114
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:11 AM
1 mom liked this
This is such a hard question and I honestly don't know what I believe.

For one part of me thinks there's an age of innocence and no matter what they would go up to God. But with that way of thinking, why about aborigines or people of the world who have never even had the chance to hear the gospel? They are not saved, would they be an exception too? Though heartbreaking my heart says no.

Another thought I've had is its possible that while children are too young for accountability that their parents assume the responsibility, meaning if they are saved it extends to the children.

I don't know it's just such a hard concept to think about:-(
munchkin79
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:11 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't fully know what to think on this either but I hope that there is a age of innocence. I think there is a verse that says something about if a parent is saved then the children are holy.There is something special about have a saved husband/wife/parent. I dont really understand what having a saved partner does for an unsaved partner though.

We know that Jesus loved the children and that there is something very special about them. I don't think the bible says anything that really fully answers this question. If there is I would love to know where.

1 Corinthians 7:14 For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.

ACts 16:31 They replied, “BelieveA)"> in the Lord Jesus, and you will be savedB)">—you and your household.”

Jen4boys06
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:16 AM
8 moms liked this

I don't think it says anywhere in the bible that you will go to hell if not baptized, no matter how old you are.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.  I want to get baptized again (I was as a baby) but more so as an outward expression of my inward faith.  The bible says to believe in Jesus and you will be saved.  It doesn't say get baptized and you will be saved.

adt87
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:48 AM
5 moms liked this
I absolutely 100% believe any baby or child who is too young to understand salvation will go to heaven when they die. I don't have any scripture to base that on but I can't see God sending a baby or child who doesn't quite grasp what's going on to a place of eternal damnation.
Khanfan
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:52 AM
3 moms liked this

This is just stirs up my memory.  First, thank you for posting, because this really is in the Roman Catholic teachings & belief system.  So, I was praying about what to say here and it came to me that baptism is an outward symbol of salvation not part of being saved from sin. Jesus is the door which we get to enter the Kingdom of God.  John 14:6, John 10:9, Romans 5:2, Eph 2:18, Heb10:20

Debrowsky Debbie~Admin
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:23 AM
4 moms liked this

Based on what the scriptures say - we are saved by what we believe in our hearts and confess with our mouths- that Jesus is the Christ, and we enter through Him.  Baptism is the outward symbol of that confession, not the act of salvation itself.

I wholeheartedly believe that children go to heaven when they die, simply because they are still in the mental process of development. They barely know who they are, what life is, or how to be accountable.  They are under training so they will come to know these things one day with certainty. Until then they are vulnerable to any teaching.  God has mercy for such a time as that in our lives.

Angels_on_Guard Mersija~Admin
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 12:33 PM
6 moms liked this

Thank you for replying ladies,this is a great conversation piece,it will help answer some questions that we all may have or may have been confused about.

Let's look into he story of David's first child with Bathsheba illustrates this point. After being born the child became very ill and David fasted and would neither eat, drink, change his clothes or even sleep in a real bed. He also refused any comfort from his subjects. After the child died he washed, dressed, and ate a meal and his subjects were confused. They asked why when the child was sick did he fast and so on, but when it died he he ate and washed etc.? He replied that the child was dead and that although the child would not return to him he would go to it. David was a man after God's own heart who undoubtedly went to heaven where he said the child would be. The verses for this story are 2 Samuel 12:16-23

by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I am in the middle of school,so i will try and come back later to talk.

by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 4:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting GirlIsBlue114:

This is such a hard question and I honestly don't know what I believe.

For one part of me thinks there's an age of innocence and no matter what they would go up to God. But with that way of thinking, why about aborigines or people of the world who have never even had the chance to hear the gospel? They are not saved, would they be an exception too? Though heartbreaking my heart says no.

Another thought I've had is its possible that while children are too young for accountability that their parents assume the responsibility, meaning if they are saved it extends to the children.

I don't know it's just such a hard concept to think about:-(

I agree,it is a hard concept to think about,however,sometimes we have to know the right answer so that if it ever comes up we can dis-spell the lie,no matter what person spoke it.

We think because  a priest said so,that it is so,however,if what any man says does not line up with the Word we do not believe it.

A person is only accountable for what they know,weather a baby/child or even an adult.

Hell was not made for man,woman or child,but for the devil and his angels,however,i do think that there are those that will be there.Not babies tho or even children.

by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Quoting munchkin79:

I don't fully know what to think on this either but I hope that there is a age of innocence. I think there is a verse that says something about if a parent is saved then the children are holy.There is something special about have a saved husband/wife/parent. I dont really understand what having a saved partner does for an unsaved partner though.

We know that Jesus loved the children and that there is something very special about them. I don't think the bible says anything that really fully answers this question. If there is I would love to know where.

1 Corinthians 7:14 For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.

ACts 16:31 They replied, “BelieveA)"> in the Lord Jesus, and you will be savedB)">—you and your household.”

Thank you for those verses.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)