Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"Look at others as windows into God's glory"

Posted by (Debbie~Admin) on Sep. 17, 2013 at 4:12 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 351 Total Views

Lay Aside the Weight of Prideful Comparison

By the grace of God I am what I am. (1 Corinthians 15:10)

God made you to be you.

You have the body God gave you — with all its genetic capacities and limitations (Psalm 139:13). You were born at the time and place he determined (Acts 17:26).

And if you’re a Christian, he has called you out of darkness into light (Ephesians 5:8). God considers you a necessary part of Christ’s body, the Church (1 Corinthians 12:27), and he has given you particular gifts to use for the sake of this body — along with a measured amount of grace for using them (Romans 12:6).

Battling Comparison

That means the life that you have is a sacred calling (1 Corinthians 7:17). By the grace of God, you are what you are (1 Corinthians 15:10).

It also means that the lives others have are sacred callings by the grace of God. And some of those saints have received sacred callings resulting in greater levels of gifting and prominence than yours.

And this means that you and I frequently must battle against comparing ourselves with others.

Hijacked by Pride

Comparison is not inherently sinful. In fact, the Bible wants us to be “imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises” (Hebrews 6:12). Imitation requires comparison.

But if we are not vigilant and ruthlessly pursuing humility, pride will hijack comparison. Pride wants glory for the self and sees others not as necessary parts of Christ’s body carrying out sacred callings, but as threats to self-glory. When pride rules comparison, jealousy and selfish ambition result (James 3:16).

A Weight to Lay Aside

We can tell this is happening in us when we look at others and don’t see the grace of God, but reflections of our own inferiority. We don’t see them as windows into God’s glory, but as mirrors into which we are asking, “Who’s the fairest one of all?” — and we know it’s not us.

The resulting discouragement becomes like an iron ball on our spiritual leg making it very hard to run. Which means prideful comparison is a weight we must lay aside (Hebrews 12:1).

How do we do that?

Name the Craving

When you feel that familiar discouragement — that faith-depleting, courage-sapping self-pity that tells you that you’re a loser — don’t be passive. Pride and Satan are conspiring to abort your race. It’s war.

It might feel like a general discouragement, but there’s something specific you’re believing that’s giving life to this discouragement. Develop the habit of asking your soul questions. “Why are you cast down, O my soul?” (Psalm 42:5). Make yourself put it into words. Be specific (don’t just accept “I don’t do anything well”). Name what it is that you crave.

Repent

As soon as you recognize a desire for self-glory, repent. Lay it aside. It’s an idolatrous, God-belittling, joy-destroying sin. Call it what it is, and God will forgive you (1 John 1:9) and give you grace (James 4:6).

Feed Your Weary Soul Nourishing Promises

Pride-fueled jealousy and selfish ambition leave the soul empty and tired. But the promises of God believed immediately produce the energy of hope. Eat promises like these:

Jesus chose you and appointed you: “You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you” (John 15:16).

God will equip you — “with everything good that you may do his will, working in us that which is pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ” (Hebrews 13:21).

God will always provide sufficient grace for you: “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness” (1 Corinthians 12:9).

God sees and rewards faithful, obscure labors for him: “Your Father who sees in secret will reward you” (Matthew 6:6).

God assesses the heart, not outward impressiveness: “The Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart” (1 Samuel 16:7).

God will complete the work he began in you: “I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ” (Philippians 1:6).

Jesus will always be with you: “I am with you always, to the end of the age” (Matthew 28:20).

Serve in the Strength God Supplies

Get back in the faith race! Carry on with your serving! Don’t be immobilized by less than pure motives. Nothing you do this side of glory will be perfectly pure. Everything is sanctified by the work of Jesus. Serve in the strength that God supplies (1 Peter 4:11), according to the grace he’s given to you (Romans 12:6), in the sacred calling he has on your life (1 Corinthians 7:17).

Let’s resolve again today to lay aside the weight of prideful comparison, doing “nothing from selfish ambition or conceit” (Philippians 2:3), but in humble faith, remaining “steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord [our] labor is not in vain” (1 Corinthians 15:58).

by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 4:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kirbymom
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Seeing yourself through the eyes of God. You see things from a totally different perspective than our Creator does. What you see as a weakness, God sees a strength. What you see as being alone, God sees it as an opportunity to spend time together with you. These are all places in our lives that we live in. Question is, whose eyes would you rather see through? Your's or God's?
Debrowsky Debbie~Admin
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 5:00 PM

I have to fess up here.   I have struggled with being able to see me as God does when it comes to my calling.  I see and long for what I see as wonderful callings in others.  that's why I posted this - it helps me think straighter.

Quoting kirbymom:

Seeing yourself through the eyes of God. You see things from a totally different perspective than our Creator does. What you see as a weakness, God sees a strength. What you see as being alone, God sees it as an opportunity to spend time together with you. These are all places in our lives that we live in. Question is, whose eyes would you rather see through? Your's or God's?

kirbymom
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 5:36 PM
2 moms liked this
I used to do the same thing. For many years in fact. It was only when I had a vision while standing and singing in the church I was going to at the time. I saw Elijah dying and when he passed I saw his mantle pass to...not to Elisha but passed over to me?! I became so confused and felt so filthy that day. I turned with tears in my eyes and asked my husband what it meant and why I had that vision. I saw my relationship with God as something that really truly needing to be worked on. Nowhere close to the vision I saw. Well, through much discussion, hubby showed me how God "sees" us and how we "see" ourselves. Where we feel weak, Gid is actually there carrying us and lending His strength, making us strong, in Him. So when we think we are at our weakest, we can actually be at our strongest as He delights on our leaning on Him and letting Him take care of us. That's what He wants. He wants to be able to care for us and take care of our every need and even whim. To us, we feel weak, to God, we become strong as we let Him do the things for us that need to be done. So, as we compare ourselves to others with what WE consider to be worthy gifts are not always worthy for our selves. What is an awesome gift for one may not be the same for another. Remember, God chose YOU not the other way around. And since God did the choosing, you must be worthy and valuable in your own right. He chose US. Because He LOVES us and we have beauty and value just as we are. Weaknesses and all. So quit viewing yourself as not having wonderful gifts because you do and God is waiting for you to be on the same page He is on. You R wonderful with your gifts and weaknesses and strengths. Just as you are. Fearfully and Wonderfully made. :)

Quoting Debrowsky:

I have to fess up here.   I have struggled with being able to see me as God does when it comes to my calling.  I see and long for what I see as wonderful callings in others.  that's why I posted this - it helps me think straighter.

Quoting kirbymom:Seeing yourself through the eyes of God. You see things from a totally different perspective than our Creator does. What you see as a weakness, God sees a strength. What you see as being alone, God sees it as an opportunity to spend time together with you. These are all places in our lives that we live in. Question is, whose eyes would you rather see through? Your's or God's?

Debrowsky Debbie~Admin
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I would have been blown away with a vision like that.  especially if you don't see the same evidance of giftings as were demonstrated in Elijah.  I have come to understand how God works within my weaknesses over the years, as I have been in the middle of so many situations that demand something of me I normally would not have.  I am forever grateful to God for supplying me with what is needed.   
But I have always admired the people who flow with the Spirit and have several giftings that bless people, heal people, and clearly minister life by word or deeds.  I have come to understand that God works too in the unseen places, outside of public viewing or knowledge, and that is precious too- as need of Him is everywhere in all corners of life.  It seems to me, that though my heart has good intentions of helping others, I often don't see much change or fruit.  So I often dream of what could be, if I had this gifting or that one.  Know what I mean?  
I really appreciated the explanation given in this lesson, about looking at others as windows into God's glory.  That is exactly what I have been witnessing in others and it is so awesome!  this has encouraged me to focus on the glory being revealed by God, regardless of who or how it comes through and simply keep myself tuned into the Spirit and be ready at all times.  Like you said, God does the choosing and the moving and the supplying.  Thank you so much for sharing your experiences and knowledge on this, it has blessed me.  God has been very good to you and I love it when you share your understanding of Him. 
bow down

Quoting kirbymom:

I used to do the same thing. For many years in fact. It was only when I had a vision while standing and singing in the church I was going to at the time. I saw Elijah dying and when he passed I saw his mantle pass to...not to Elisha but passed over to me?! I became so confused and felt so filthy that day. I turned with tears in my eyes and asked my husband what it meant and why I had that vision. I saw my relationship with God as something that really truly needing to be worked on. Nowhere close to the vision I saw. Well, through much discussion, hubby showed me how God "sees" us and how we "see" ourselves. Where we feel weak, Gid is actually there carrying us and lending His strength, making us strong, in Him. So when we think we are at our weakest, we can actually be at our strongest as He delights on our leaning on Him and letting Him take care of us. That's what He wants. He wants to be able to care for us and take care of our every need and even whim. To us, we feel weak, to God, we become strong as we let Him do the things for us that need to be done. So, as we compare ourselves to others with what WE consider to be worthy gifts are not always worthy for our selves. What is an awesome gift for one may not be the same for another. Remember, God chose YOU not the other way around. And since God did the choosing, you must be worthy and valuable in your own right. He chose US. Because He LOVES us and we have beauty and value just as we are. Weaknesses and all. So quit viewing yourself as not having wonderful gifts because you do and God is waiting for you to be on the same page He is on. You R wonderful with your gifts and weaknesses and strengths. Just as you are. Fearfully and Wonderfully made. :)

Quoting Debrowsky:

Quoting kirbymom:Seeing yourself through the eyes of God. You see things from a totally different perspective than our Creator does. What you see as a weakness, God sees a strength. What you see as being alone, God sees it as an opportunity to spend time together with you. These are all places in our lives that we live in. Question is, whose eyes would you rather see through? Your's or God's?

kirbymom
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I love to read your reply's! You have such a beauty from within. I felt it the first time you replied to one of my first posts. You have ministered to me a few times just with your reply's. I am so glad to have "met" you. You do have a precious heart. Bless you for blessing others.

Quoting Debrowsky:

I would have been blown away with a vision like that.  especially if you don't see the same evidance of giftings as were demonstrated in Elijah.  I have come to understand how God works within my weaknesses over the years, as I have been in the middle of so many situations that demand something of me I normally would not have.  I am forever grateful to God for supplying me with what is needed.    But I have always admired the people who flow with the Spirit and have several giftings that bless people, heal people, and clearly minister life by word or deeds.  I have come to understand that God works too in the unseen places, outside of public viewing or knowledge, and that is precious too- as need of Him is everywhere in all corners of life.  It seems to me, that though my heart has good intentions of helping others, I often don't see much change or fruit.  So I often dream of what could be, if I had this gifting or that one.  Know what I mean?   I really appreciated the explanation given in this lesson, about looking at others as windows into God's glory.  That is exactly what I have been witnessing in others and it is so awesome!  this has encouraged me to focus on the glory being revealed by God, regardless of who or how it comes through and simply keep myself tuned into the Spirit and be ready at all times.  Like you said, God does the choosing and the moving and the supplying.  Thank you so much for sharing your experiences and knowledge on this, it has blessed me.  God has been very good to you and I love it when you share your understanding of Him.  bow down

Quoting kirbymom:I used to do the same thing. For many years in fact. It was only when I had a vision while standing and singing in the church I was going to at the time. I saw Elijah dying and when he passed I saw his mantle pass to...not to Elisha but passed over to me?! I became so confused and felt so filthy that day. I turned with tears in my eyes and asked my husband what it meant and why I had that vision. I saw my relationship with God as something that really truly needing to be worked on. Nowhere close to the vision I saw. Well, through much discussion, hubby showed me how God "sees" us and how we "see" ourselves. Where we feel weak, Gid is actually there carrying us and lending His strength, making us strong, in Him. So when we think we are at our weakest, we can actually be at our strongest as He delights on our leaning on Him and letting Him take care of us. That's what He wants. He wants to be able to care for us and take care of our every need and even whim. To us, we feel weak, to God, we become strong as we let Him do the things for us that need to be done. So, as we compare ourselves to others with what WE consider to be worthy gifts are not always worthy for our selves. What is an awesome gift for one may not be the same for another. Remember, God chose YOU not the other way around. And since God did the choosing, you must be worthy and valuable in your own right. He chose US. Because He LOVES us and we have beauty and value just as we are. Weaknesses and all. So quit viewing yourself as not having wonderful gifts because you do and God is waiting for you to be on the same page He is on. You R wonderful with your gifts and weaknesses and strengths. Just as you are. Fearfully and Wonderfully made. :)

Quoting Debrowsky:

swishyskirt
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this

This article really blessed me.  I went to a church a few weeks ago that also went over the dangers of comparison.  It really (and I mean REALLY) blessed me.  If you like to have something to listen to while doing dishes or something like I do, I'd really encourage you  to listen to this sermon.

Red Rocks Church sermon #147

Bottom line: inadequacy is a result of comparison.

Angels_on_Guard Mersija~Admin
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 11:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Debrowsky:

Quoting kirbymom:

You not the only one Debbie,i have also struggled with this same thing,i am better then i was and have to stay rooted and grounded in God's Word and his promises or else i will struggle again and again;It's a never ending battle.

ninamsi Nina~Admin
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 5:48 AM
2 moms liked this
I have often wonderd why God made me the way I am. I now realize that I am perfectly made and i thank God for creating me with love.
Debrowsky Debbie~Admin
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:09 AM
1 mom liked this

oh my, that was beyond sweet, I had no idea.  Thank you dear.

Quoting kirbymom:

I love to read your reply's! You have such a beauty from within. I felt it the first time you replied to one of my first posts. You have ministered to me a few times just with your reply's. I am so glad to have "met" you. You do have a precious heart. Bless you for blessing others.

Quoting Debrowsky:

I would have been blown away with a vision like that.  especially if you don't see the same evidance of giftings as were demonstrated in Elijah.  I have come to understand how God works within my weaknesses over the years, as I have been in the middle of so many situations that demand something of me I normally would not have.  I am forever grateful to God for supplying me with what is needed.    But I have always admired the people who flow with the Spirit and have several giftings that bless people, heal people, and clearly minister life by word or deeds.  I have come to understand that God works too in the unseen places, outside of public viewing or knowledge, and that is precious too- as need of Him is everywhere in all corners of life.  It seems to me, that though my heart has good intentions of helping others, I often don't see much change or fruit.  So I often dream of what could be, if I had this gifting or that one.  Know what I mean?   I really appreciated the explanation given in this lesson, about looking at others as windows into God's glory.  That is exactly what I have been witnessing in others and it is so awesome!  this has encouraged me to focus on the glory being revealed by God, regardless of who or how it comes through and simply keep myself tuned into the Spirit and be ready at all times.  Like you said, God does the choosing and the moving and the supplying.  Thank you so much for sharing your experiences and knowledge on this, it has blessed me.  God has been very good to you and I love it when you share your understanding of Him.  bow down

Quoting kirbymom:I used to do the same thing. For many years in fact. It was only when I had a vision while standing and singing in the church I was going to at the time. I saw Elijah dying and when he passed I saw his mantle pass to...not to Elisha but passed over to me?! I became so confused and felt so filthy that day. I turned with tears in my eyes and asked my husband what it meant and why I had that vision. I saw my relationship with God as something that really truly needing to be worked on. Nowhere close to the vision I saw. Well, through much discussion, hubby showed me how God "sees" us and how we "see" ourselves. Where we feel weak, Gid is actually there carrying us and lending His strength, making us strong, in Him. So when we think we are at our weakest, we can actually be at our strongest as He delights on our leaning on Him and letting Him take care of us. That's what He wants. He wants to be able to care for us and take care of our every need and even whim. To us, we feel weak, to God, we become strong as we let Him do the things for us that need to be done. So, as we compare ourselves to others with what WE consider to be worthy gifts are not always worthy for our selves. What is an awesome gift for one may not be the same for another. Remember, God chose YOU not the other way around. And since God did the choosing, you must be worthy and valuable in your own right. He chose US. Because He LOVES us and we have beauty and value just as we are. Weaknesses and all. So quit viewing yourself as not having wonderful gifts because you do and God is waiting for you to be on the same page He is on. You R wonderful with your gifts and weaknesses and strengths. Just as you are. Fearfully and Wonderfully made. :)

Quoting Debrowsky:

Debrowsky Debbie~Admin
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Quoting swishyskirt:

This article really blessed me.  I went to a church a few weeks ago that also went over the dangers of comparison.  It really (and I mean REALLY) blessed me.  If you like to have something to listen to while doing dishes or something like I do, I'd really encourage you  to listen to this sermon.

Red Rocks Church sermon #147

Bottom line: inadequacy is a result of comparison.

100% agree with that.   I'll have to check out the sermon, thanks. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)