Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are you a dog rescuer? Tell me about your rescues here

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 7:48 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 110 Total Views

I have a dog rescue. It is called the Animal House and it is ran out of my house. I basically just take in and foster animals from overcrowded shelters and rescues. I also take in surrenders from owners and help give strays a place to stay until I either find their owners or find them a new home.  I don't have a website. I get all the rescues by just talking to other rescuers and posting fliers up in my workplace ( I am a vet tech and I work in a clinic). So far I have placed about 30 dogs since I started this last year.  It doesn't sound like a lot but it is. 

I have 5 rescued dogs and 1 dog from a reputable breeder. 

So tell me about you. Do you rescue. Do you own a rescued dog? 

by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 7:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
marshsmom
by Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 3:25 PM

I am a volunteer for a local rescue and I do occasional independant rescues.  I own 3 rescued dogs:

Tucker - mixed breed adopted as a puppy from the SPCA

Tulip - A bloodhound, she was a death row dog at a gassing facility

Mitzi - A papillon, Rescued from a high kill shelter, her owners surrendered her to be PTS, but that never happened :)

I also have 2 adopted cats.

My foster babies are a senior black lab. a 2 year old bassador and my most recent a pitty saved from death row the day she was to be destroyed.  SHe is an independant, as no rescues would pull her.  You can learn more about her here:  http://www.facebook.com/eviesjourney

I also have a group here on CafeMom!  See my siggy for a link!

mamom01
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:36 PM

I also rescue independently occassionally.  I've cut back drastically due to finances. We have 3 dogs, 2 cats, and 2 birds.

My lab mix was adopted from a rescue in VA.  She's my first dog...ever.  :)

I also have two 7 year old Chihuahuas.  We rescued our male from a high kill shelter in Los Angeles.   He's large for a Chihuahua (we think he's mixed with Doxie) and no one was interested in him because he walked with a limp.  Turns out he had been hit by a car at some point in his life, suffered a fractured acetabulum, and required an FHO.  Our female Chihuahua was rescued from a backyard breeder/hoarder who was being evicted from her home and thought putting up "free Chihuahua" signs was a good idea.  We'd initally planned on just fostering her, but quickly realized there was no way we could break the bond she and my dd have. 

My oldest cat was adopted from an SPCA when I was stationed overseas.  He's almost 15 and has literally travelled the world with me.  I found our youngest cat in the parking lot at my old office building.

We adopted one of our Parakeets from a shelter.  The other was purchased as a companion for him. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)