Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

in an effort to save money

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:21 PM
  • 16 Replies
  • 443 Total Views

My guy just made himself some cashew butter instead of buying more peanut butter.  He is diabetic so making things homemade is a better option anyhow.  He skipped the sugar option for the butter.

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AnnieMcD
by Mother on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:21 PM

OOOOOOHHHH!!! That sounds AWESOME!

Recipe???

frndlyfn
by Little Witch on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:23 PM
2 moms liked this

Homemade Cashew ButterRecipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2003

Ingredients

• 2 cups unsalted roasted cashews
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon sugar, optional

Directions

In a food processor or blender, combine the nuts, 2 tablespoons of the oil, the salt, and the sugar, if desired. Process on high speed for 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula and process to desired smoothness, adding more oil, 1 teaspoon at a time, if a smoother butter is desired. Adjust the seasoning, to taste.

Transfer to a bowl to use as a dip, spread, or in other recipes, or place in an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to use.

Cashews are highly perishable and can turn rancid quickly due to their high oil content. Choose vacuum-packed jars or cans over cellophane packaging. Store cashews in a cool, dry place in an airtight container to avoid absorption of other food odors. Cashew butter can be used in place of peanut butter or as an ingredient in cookies, spreads or other dishes. If desired, substitute peanuts for the cashews to make Homemade Peanut Butter.

TarotMommy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Mmmmmm, cashew butter sounds yummy!

To see if Pagan Mothering is in your cards,  just click my siggie...

TarotMommy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Emeril is in Pensacola today. He's shooting a segment I gather that is focused on seafood since he's featuring a place here called Joe Patties.

frndlyfn
by Little Witch on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I liked him before he got too big for his britches LOL.  Lately when i see him on tv, his ego is WAY bigger than 17 years ago.   I wont knock his recipes though.  Most are delicious.

Quoting TarotMommy:

Emeril is in Pensacola today. He's shooting a segment I gather that is focused on seafood since he's featuring a place here called Joe Patties.

TarotMommy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:41 PM

I agree he does have a pretty big ego but his recipes are great.

Quoting frndlyfn:

I liked him before he got too big for his britches LOL.  Lately when i see him on tv, his ego is WAY bigger than 17 years ago.   I wont knock his recipes though.  Most are delicious.

Quoting TarotMommy:

shivasgirl
by Angela on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:25 PM

O   M   G   I love cashew butter,I dont care for peanut

frndlyfn
by Little Witch on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Quoting shivasgirl:

He was going through an 18 oz jar in 2-3 weeks LOL of crunch PB.... This way can buy the nuts cheaper and make as needed.  Hopefully less chance of recalled nuts.  Have you ever tried sunflower butter?

shivasgirl
by Angela on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:39 PM

no, only almond and cashew, but I think cashew is food of the gods...lol, but I dont care for roasted cashew nuts, weird, huh?

Quoting frndlyfn:

Quoting shivasgirl:

He was going through an 18 oz jar in 2-3 weeks LOL of crunch PB.... This way can buy the nuts cheaper and make as needed.  Hopefully less chance of recalled nuts.  Have you ever tried sunflower butter?

frndlyfn
by Little Witch on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:42 PM

I like peanut butter but not actual peanuts so not that weird to me LOL  I grew up with either roasted salted peanuts (moms side) OR boiled salted peanuts(dads side).  BLECH.

Quoting shivasgirl:

no, only almond and cashew, but I think cashew is food of the gods...lol, but I dont care for roasted cashew nuts, weird, huh?

Quoting frndlyfn:

Quoting shivasgirl:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN