Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need some advice. update

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:53 PM
  • 15 Replies
  • 344 Total Views

So I am a Solitary Practitioner, but my husband is Catholic. He has no issues with my religious beliefs, nor I with his. My husband isn't exactly a practicing Catholic, and he hasn't been to church in over 5 years. Recently he has started saying that our children need to be baptized, and how in order to do that we need to go to church, and confession,and receive communion, and everything else involved. When I reminded him that I am not Catholic, he said that it is something that he really wants, and that it will be easier for our children to grow up saying they are Catholic than Wicca. I am a little put off by this. We had agreed that our children would grow up with both ways, and when they got old enough they could choose their own path, whatever it may be. This just seems like they are solely going to be Catholic and Wicca is just going to be some secondary thing pushed off to the side.

Updated:

I talked with my husband about the possibility of having both a baptism and a wiccaning for our kids. His response was that it isn't possible. He said that in the Catholic religion, the first commandment, and pretty much basis of the religion, is "Thou shalt have no other gods." He said because of that them having a wiccaning would mean they are already breaking that cardinal rule. This lead me to ask how he wanted to raise them knowing each path, if they are commanded to only know one. His response: "Why can't you just be normal? Out of all the religions you had to be Wiccan. You are like the devil as far as the church is concerned." Ouch...

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Little Witch on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Unless they are dying or extremely sick, i see no reason for them to baptized w/o your consent or them saying so.  How old are the children?    Does the wiccan belief system have a communal place to meet like other religions or is it a family by family solitary thing?

punkymommy91
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:29 PM

My son is 2, and our daughter was just born on the 5th. For us, it's a solitary family thing. I don't belong to a coven, and have been practicing on my own since I was young. I want my children to be raised in the same way. My husband was saying that our son should have been baptized by now, and that we should have both of them baptized soon. I'm begining to get the feeling that he thinks they should just be raised Catholic and Wicca is just some silly thing mom does in her free time.

StormWitch
by Little Witch on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:18 AM
Is he getting pressure from his family or friends in the church? I would sit down with him and really talk about what your beliefs mean to you and why you feel waiting until the kids are old enough to make their own choices in regards to religion.
Storm
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DzineMama
by Little Witch on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Baptizim is a ritual. A wiccaning is a ritual. Have both. My aunt was catholic, my uncle jewish, they had a christmas tree and a menorah... do you see where am going with this. Your kids are gonna grow up and be what they will be regardless. Show them and teach them everything you can. Not to hate one or the other, pick one and dislike that one. Being educated and cultured is a great gift. I would do it in honor of my husband's wishes as I would expect him to do for me in return.

punkymommy91
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:28 PM

I will talk to him and ask if he is willing to do both. Is it possible to have a wiccaning as a solitary? I myself never had one, since I am the only person in my family who is anything other than christian.

..MoonShine..
by Crone on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Wooooooowwwww. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. At this point, my only suggestion would be...do neither, and let your children decide when they are old enough whether they want to be baptized or choose to dedicate themselves to another path. Point out (though i'm certain you probably have) that he is not a practicing Catholic. I'm not even sure how I would address what he said to you. How incredibly hurtful. 

bxmom2580
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:31 AM
I agree with this.

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

Wooooooowwwww. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. At this point, my only suggestion would be...do neither, and let your children decide when they are old enough whether they want to be baptized or choose to dedicate themselves to another path. Point out (though i'm certain you probably have) that he is not a practicing Catholic. I'm not even sure how I would address what he said to you. How incredibly hurtful. 

StormWitch
by Little Witch on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:21 AM
Oh sweetie. * hugs*
SerenaRose3
by Little Witch on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:00 AM

oh wow. I am so sorry. Maybe you can share with him some information that shows him he has the wrong impression of what Wicca is all about.? Im curious why he thinks this if he isnt practicing and doesnt go to church. The church is misinformed and judging others and spreading   mean lies about others is against what the bible teaches. The witch craft spoken about in the bible was different that what we do today and has nothing to do with the Wiccan religion.  I do not think Wicca is mentioned in the bible and the Pagans it speaks of are not the same either. A lot has changed since those times. Ask for guidance to help open his eyes to the truth.

DzineMama
by Little Witch on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this

WTF... that's a problem. Normal? Define normal? I won't of weathered that conversation well. Am not sure am weathering it well for you. There has to be like a mother in law in there somewhere or a near death experience we overlooked... maybe he thought it was a cute phase you grow out of? Whenever my hubby's personal opinions change suddenly, there is a pushy overbearing mother in law in lurking in the shadows... you need to find the source of this sudden change. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)