Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need some advice. update

Posted by   + Show Post

So I am a Solitary Practitioner, but my husband is Catholic. He has no issues with my religious beliefs, nor I with his. My husband isn't exactly a practicing Catholic, and he hasn't been to church in over 5 years. Recently he has started saying that our children need to be baptized, and how in order to do that we need to go to church, and confession,and receive communion, and everything else involved. When I reminded him that I am not Catholic, he said that it is something that he really wants, and that it will be easier for our children to grow up saying they are Catholic than Wicca. I am a little put off by this. We had agreed that our children would grow up with both ways, and when they got old enough they could choose their own path, whatever it may be. This just seems like they are solely going to be Catholic and Wicca is just going to be some secondary thing pushed off to the side.

Updated:

I talked with my husband about the possibility of having both a baptism and a wiccaning for our kids. His response was that it isn't possible. He said that in the Catholic religion, the first commandment, and pretty much basis of the religion, is "Thou shalt have no other gods." He said because of that them having a wiccaning would mean they are already breaking that cardinal rule. This lead me to ask how he wanted to raise them knowing each path, if they are commanded to only know one. His response: "Why can't you just be normal? Out of all the religions you had to be Wiccan. You are like the devil as far as the church is concerned." Ouch...

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:53 PM
Replies (11-15):
DzineMama
by Little Witch on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Actually... I grew up Catholic, and not practicing is like part of being Catholic. They don't practice unless someone's looking or they feel guilt. Seriously find the source.

SerenaRose3
by Little Witch on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:07 PM

yes that is true its like sunday confessions or the person who goes to church on special occasions theor religion may not be pracrticed daily but its always lurking in the background

Quoting DzineMama:

Actually... I grew up Catholic, and not practicing is like part of being Catholic. They don't practice unless someone's looking or they feel guilt. Seriously find the source.

Anagalia022
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Quoting SerenaRose3:

oh wow. I am so sorry. Maybe you can share with him some information that shows him he has the wrong impression of what Wicca is all about.? Im curious why he thinks this if he isnt practicing and doesnt go to church. The church is misinformed and judging others and spreading   mean lies about others is against what the bible teaches. The witch craft spoken about in the bible was different that what we do today and has nothing to do with the Wiccan religion.  I do not think Wicca is mentioned in the bible and the Pagans it speaks of are not the same either. A lot has changed since those times. Ask for guidance to help open his eyes to the truth.

I agree.

saltycoqui
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Maybe some family /couples counseling could help. 

punkymommy91
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Sorry it has been so long since I replied. I have been so caught up in the Fox News thing. I did talk to him. His mom has asked him a few times when we are having our kids baptized. He is Dominican, and they are very Catholic. He told me that it isn't even that he wants to have it does, it's that it's tradition, and it is expected that he does it. He then told me that if I really feel that strongly about it that we can have the wiccaning, or we can not have anything, but both is not an option.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN