Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

not sure how to deal with this one.

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:29 AM
  • 16 Replies
  • 328 Total Views

My fiance and his kids are Christian, My children and I are Pagan. 

my 9 yr old step daughter has been telling my four year old biological daughter that she is going to burn in hell when she dies for not believing in God and Jesus. 

How do I correct this to both girls, while still respecting both sets of beleifs???

This is my first issue with our different faiths.

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommysangelface
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:30 AM
4 moms liked this
That's a tough one.

I think the best course would be to talk with your fiance first.

I think then you both need to sit down with the kids and have the different religion talk
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
saltycoqui
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:01 AM
2 moms liked this
I agree, talk to your fiance. He needs to teach his kids to respect other ways of thinking. If he refuses or does nothing, I'd reconsider getting married. Sorry if I seem a little harsh.
mommysangelface
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:12 AM
I agree. There is nothing wrong with have 2 different sets of beliefs, but if there is no respect its not going to work

Quoting saltycoqui:

I agree, talk to your fiance. He needs to teach his kids to respect other ways of thinking. If he refuses or does nothing, I'd reconsider getting married. Sorry if I seem a little harsh.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
runswithfulmoon
by Little Witch on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with mommysangelface, that's a tough one!  You should really sit down with him and talk.

SerenaRose3
by Little Witch on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:24 AM

I come from a christian background and I still keep many of my christian beliefs  its really more in a hippie love way and we believe Jesus was a great man and teacher.I dont follow the christian church,  so there is no judgements here but my parents still hold on to( as many Christians do) that yes you will burn in hell  if you dont accept Jesus as your savior. If your fiance and his kids hold on to that belief and cant respect your beliefs your going to have a hard road. Interfaith relationships are harder as are interracial relationships but they can work with trust ,understanding and respect.

Here is how I go about our "Christian" beliefs

I teach my daughter about Jesus and tell her he was a loving caring man and that he loves children very much and he wants children to love their family and friends and be caring people by helping others. We leave the judging to God thats his job not ours.  You and your kids dont need to believe that way but the step daughter since she is Christian should be taught that, since its her religion and that what her bible says. The relationship each christian has with Jesus and God is personal and other people especially other Christians should not go around pointing a finger and damning another to hell. To be a good christian is to love honor and respect. To be a good human is to love and respect all life.

bxmom2580
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree, if theres no respect and compromise, it's not going to work

Quoting mommysangelface:

I agree. There is nothing wrong with have 2 different sets of beliefs, but if there is no respect its not going to work

Quoting saltycoqui:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
..MoonShine..
by Crone on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I totally agree with this. 

Quoting saltycoqui:

SerenaRose3
by Little Witch on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I agree as well and wanted to say it but not first lol. I can see a lot of family battle over this.

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

I totally agree with this. 

Quoting saltycoqui:

AnnieMcD
by Mother on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:56 AM
3 moms liked this
It's unfortunate that a 9 year old understands the concept of burning in hell to begin with. That's so sad. I would definitely speak to my fiance and tell him that he needs to tell his daughter that she is welcome to her beliefs, but that she is not to discuss them with your 4 year old at all. That is a parents job. Additionally, I would wonder where, exactly, she's learning something so specific. I would be vastly disturbed by any church which is already throwing fire and brimstone at kids before they're even old enough to understand the concept of sin or hell or eternity.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
slashteddy
by Little Witch on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:59 AM
I suppose go at it from the "manners" angle. That's rude as hell. :/

Definitely talk with her dad about it though. He could probably have a talk with her about how it's not her place to judge who is and is not going to hell, it's god's. (At least I think so. I'm no Christian, but I think this is supposed to be a fundamental concept.)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)