Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

not sure how to deal with this one.

Posted by   + Show Post

My fiance and his kids are Christian, My children and I are Pagan. 

my 9 yr old step daughter has been telling my four year old biological daughter that she is going to burn in hell when she dies for not believing in God and Jesus. 

How do I correct this to both girls, while still respecting both sets of beleifs???

This is my first issue with our different faiths.

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:29 AM
Replies (11-16):
SerenaRose3
by Little Witch on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:09 PM

unfortunately many christian parents raise their kids to believe this , I was terrified of  burning hell since I was 6 needless to say I had serious issues with anxiety and a fear of life in general .......not healthy. It is very sad

Quoting AnnieMcD:

It's unfortunate that a 9 year old understands the concept of burning in hell to begin with. That's so sad. I would definitely speak to my fiance and tell him that he needs to tell his daughter that she is welcome to her beliefs, but that she is not to discuss them with your 4 year old at all. That is a parents job. Additionally, I would wonder where, exactly, she's learning something so specific. I would be vastly disturbed by any church which is already throwing fire and brimstone at kids before they're even old enough to understand the concept of sin or hell or eternity.

AnnieMcD
by Mother on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Wow. See... this is why our kid doesn't have any religion yet. He's only 7, he doesn't need to worry about that bullshit.

Quoting SerenaRose3:

unfortunately many christian parents raise their kids to believe this , I was terrified of  burning hell since I was 6 needless to say I had serious issues with anxiety and a fear of life in general .......not healthy. It is very sad

Quoting AnnieMcD:

It's unfortunate that a 9 year old understands the concept of burning in hell to begin with. That's so sad. I would definitely speak to my fiance and tell him that he needs to tell his daughter that she is welcome to her beliefs, but that she is not to discuss them with your 4 year old at all. That is a parents job. Additionally, I would wonder where, exactly, she's learning something so specific. I would be vastly disturbed by any church which is already throwing fire and brimstone at kids before they're even old enough to understand the concept of sin or hell or eternity.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SerenaRose3
by Little Witch on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I agree, my dd is 7 too and she loves to sing and dance , so she thinks that is what church is about and wants to go, Im afraid to send her and I dont want to go even tho I do believe in Jesus ,church terrifies me they are corrupt in my opinion. So to compromise she has some bible songs on cd and she can play her church music here and I let her watch some  positive Christan programming and told her she can go to church when she is old enough to understand. I dont need the church telling her that her mommy is evil.

Quoting AnnieMcD:

Wow. See... this is why our kid doesn't have any religion yet. He's only 7, he doesn't need to worry about that bullshit.

Quoting SerenaRose3:

Quoting AnnieMcD:

youngandtired
by Neophyte on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Quoting SerenaRose3:

Quoting AnnieMcD:

I agree! Shouldn't the whole talk about Jesus be about love instead of damnation everlasting? You should definitely talk to your husband and see what you all can do. I'm  not very knowledgable about different denominations but maybe he too can consider talking with his daughter and sheda more benevolent light on their own religion.

etherealmama
by Neophyte on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Her bio mommy taught her about hell. :/

rnmom4lif
by Little Witch on Mar. 12, 2013 at 4:37 AM

i think u all need to sit down and talk about your differnt beliefs first and foremost. it can work- my home is split as well but all people involved are going to have to learn to RESPECT each others beliefs regaurdless of weather they agree with them or not. my husband and my oldest have very differnt beliefs from myself and my youngest (well what beliefs he does have- hes only 4 but already u can see that he tends more towards my ways) anyways- when we discuss things we always present it as well mom believes this, dad believes this, other people even believe this....what do u think? it allows them to be open minded and make thier own desicions. i dont care if my kids want to believe god is a purple lepracuan with pink feet if thats what they believe then the rest of the family needs to respect it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)