Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:59 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 153 Total Views
My mom is Catholic and obviously I'm not. She has been on me since my oldest was born in '07 to get my kids baptized for fear of Purgatory. I am starting to be worn down just because I am tired of fighting with her. I know that people have to pledge to raise the child in the Catholic faith and all of that and I don't feel comfortable making a pledge to a god when I have no intention of following through with any of it. Does anybody have any advice or suggestions either way?
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
SerenaRose3
by Little Witch on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:51 PM

I can only tell you what I would do, and what I would not do is give in to my mother .They are your kids not hers and baptism is her belief not yours. Do what you feel is right and do not let her wear you down, you don't have to argue or fight with her . I would   tell my mom that I am   not dancing this  dance  with her and if she chooses to be upset with me then that her choice but my kids religious upbringing is my choice.

GameMom9
by Neophyte on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Thank you I really needed someone to feel the same way I do.

Zazayam
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Yep, what she said. But I also told my mother that when they were old enough to decide on their own they were free to do so.

Quoting SerenaRose3:

I can only tell you what I would do, and what I would not do is give in to my mother .They are your kids not hers and baptism is her belief not yours. Do what you feel is right and do not let her wear you down, you don't have to argue or fight with her . I would   tell my mom that I am   not dancing this  dance  with her and if she chooses to be upset with me then that her choice but my kids religious upbringing is my choice.

GameMom9
by Neophyte on Mar. 16, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Yea I did too but she says they can always do that later.

Quoting Zazayam:

Yep, what she said. But I also told my mother that when they were old enough to decide on their own they were free to do so.

Quoting SerenaRose3:

Harleysmom213
by Little Witch on Mar. 16, 2013 at 7:28 PM
1 mom liked this

i like the fact that you said you don't feel comfortable making a pledge that you know you won't keep. it shows that you are being respectful to her faith by not going through the motions. just be open and honest with how you really feel and if she can't respect that, then phooey on her! no god will send a child to hell, and the bible says to honor the mother and father until you yourself are an adult and old enough to make your own decisions (paraphrasing). so according to the bible you are doing everything right, as far as respecting her faith.

GameMom9
by Neophyte on Mar. 16, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Thank you for your support it means a lot that you see the same problems with this that I do.

Quoting Harleysmom213:

i like the fact that you said you don't feel comfortable making a pledge that you know you won't keep. it shows that you are being respectful to her faith by not going through the motions. just be open and honest with how you really feel and if she can't respect that, then phooey on her! no god will send a child to hell, and the bible says to honor the mother and father until you yourself are an adult and old enough to make your own decisions (paraphrasing). so according to the bible you are doing everything right, as far as respecting her faith.

..MoonShine..
by Crone on Mar. 16, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Yes! Beautifully said. 

Quoting SerenaRose3:

PepperWillow
by Little Witch on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:32 PM

I agree.

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

Yes! Beautifully said. 

Quoting SerenaRose3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)