Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you Celebrate St. Patricks day?

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:53 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 240 Total Views

Poll

Question: Do you celebrate St. Patrick's Day?

Options:

Yes

No

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 12

View Results

Here's why some Pagans may not wish to celebrate St. Patrick's day.

http://www.pagancentric.org/pagans-and-saint-patricks-day/

I've only ever celebrated it in a secular way. I'm not big on celebrating a man who helped kill and/or convert the Celts.

What do you tell your children about the meaning of the day?

by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PepperWillow
by Little Witch on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Not since I learned the real meaning behind it.

SerenaRose3
by Little Witch on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I do not celebrate the day to honor the saint ;we use this day to honor our Scotts-Irish heritage, its a fun filed family day with yummy food and a great reason to wear my favorite color green of course lol.

Harleysmom213
by Little Witch on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

ya, i have two irish friends who love to celebrate. one is christian and the other is pagan. we tease each other a little and eat and play games. my son was excited because yesterday he got to wear a pentacle for the first time. for my friends it's a day to celebrate their heritage, but like i said we all tease each other for the religious parts of it since some of us are pagan and some are christian. went to the party last night and it was lots of fun!

Zazayam
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:01 PM

We wear green to avoid being pinched and eat some really great food, that's about it.

I also do put clovers and such up on my windows, but I'm addicted to window stickies so I sort of look for reasons to change them out.

I tell my kids that it's just another day that people use as an excuse to party ;) They know the true meaning of the holiday though.

NiamhWitch
by Little Witch on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:07 AM
We celebrate "Irish Heritage Day", lol. And also, since my son's middle name is Padraig, we say to him "Happy Seamus Paddy's Day!" Haha...

I don't purposely wear green, but since it's my favorite colour, I often end up wearing it anyway.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
..MoonShine..
by Crone on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Not really, no. But I'm not going to turn down an Irish Car Bomb and some yummy food. LOL
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
saltycoqui
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 1:32 PM

This, " ..instead of celebrating Saint Patrick’s Day, I’ll be looking forward to Ostara. It’s usually about this time of year that I feel the first stirrings of Spring in the air, and it really begins to feel like the Earth around me is beginning to reawaken from its long sleep."

saltycoqui
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 1:36 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't believe I have any Irish ancestry,  but I can appreciate a lovely kilt and a nice pair of manly legs. ;)

SalemWitchChild
by Little Witch on Mar. 18, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Oh yes so can I. lol

I do have Irish ancestry though. We were run out of the country as horse thieves. lol

Quoting saltycoqui:

I don't believe I have any Irish ancestry,  but I can appreciate a lovely kilt and a nice pair of manly legs. ;)

nicki.hemingway
by Neophyte on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:38 PM

This.  My husband is Irish and we use the day to celebrate my dh's and kids Irish heritage. 

Quoting SalemWitchChild:

Oh yes so can I. lol

I do have Irish ancestry though. We were run out of the country as horse thieves. lol

Quoting saltycoqui:

Please excuse my typos. I baby wear at the computer and I have to type around a bobbing head.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)