Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What should I do? Update.....

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 5:14 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 224 Total Views

My DD (5) came home from school today with 2 new books. One was about animals in the ocean grteat book we loved it. Then I started reading the other "the crippled lamb." I thought i was one of those you know treat everyone the same no matter what you know. No it is about a lamb who was bthere when Jesus was born. All about his borth and whatnot. Now while I teach her about all faiths I don't feel comfortable reading it to her and I don't knw why the school would have books like that. Should I donate it or send it back to the school with a note? I don't want to be rude but IDK.

UPDATE... My younger brother's daddy came up for a visit. He has a 6 year old son with his exwife( lots of love and break ups lol) he is very Christian so I gave it to him to give to Joey. Thank you ladies.

I'm a tattooed,pagan,pro-choice,pro-legalizing marijuana,pro-gay marriage,anti-war,non-vaxing,tree hugging,animal loving,book reading,animal testing free,depression battling, trying to raise a free spirit and letting her be who she is but still teaching her important life lessons,fighting for equal rights at the same time,don't like it get over it.

by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 5:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SerenaRose3
by Little Witch on Mar. 18, 2013 at 5:41 PM

if you dont want her to have it then donate it

Harleysmom213
by Little Witch on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:37 PM

i would get a hold of the distict office and complain. if it's public school then those books should not be available. if there were books about all different faiths it woudn't be a big deal though.

delilahsmom1177
by Little Witch on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:53 PM

That's what I thought as well

Quoting Harleysmom213:

i would get a hold of the distict office and complain. if it's public school then those books should not be available. if there were books about all different faiths it woudn't be a big deal though.

I'm a tattooed,pagan,pro-choice,pro-legalizing marijuana,pro-gay marriage,anti-war,non-vaxing,tree hugging,animal loving,book reading,animal testing free,depression battling, trying to raise a free spirit and letting her be who she is but still teaching her important life lessons,fighting for equal rights at the same time,don't like it get over it.

Zazayam
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 7:13 PM

I'm personally pretty free with stuff like that, we have a few Christian books and some from other religions and faiths as well.

But I can see how that would be offensive, especially since I'm sure there is a double standard. I don't think any religion has a place in public schools, I could just picture parents having a fit over their kid bringing home a Muslim, Pagan or Jewish children's book.

I personally would just keep it or donate it, but if it bothers you, you should call the school and complain. Ask them if there are other religions books being handed out as well, or just Christian.

rnmom4lif
by Little Witch on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:00 AM

this. i mean if another kid came home with a pagan book or a book on witchcraft you just know all hell would be breaking loose. i personally dont mind the religious books- i try to teach my kisd about all religions but if they have books on jesus then they need to have books from ALL religions and im willing to bet- they dont.

Quoting Harleysmom213:

..MoonShine..
by Crone on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:29 PM

IDK about calling the district...but I would probably speak to the principal. 

delilahsmom1177
by Little Witch on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Thank you... I was actually waiting for your reply. 

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

..MoonShine..
by Crone on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:01 PM

:D You're welcome. For me...I wouldn't want to make a huge stink about it (which to me is what going to the district would be). A brief conference with the principal expressing your concern should be enough. It's up to you what to do with the book. Me? I would donate it. 

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

delilahsmom1177
by Little Witch on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Yeah I figured I would donate it and maybe after break try and get ameeting with the principal. They are VERY nice at her school so I don't see any problems. Thank you. 

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

:D You're welcome. For me...I wouldn't want to make a huge stink about it (which to me is what going to the district would be). A brief conference with the principal expressing your concern should be enough. It's up to you what to do with the book. Me? I would donate it. 

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

nicki.hemingway
by Neophyte on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:15 PM

For me it would depend on if it was just Christian books offered or other religions.  We have other faith's books available for our kids but we do not directly discuss religions unless out kids ask.  That being said I do feel like that is the parent's place to get such books and not the school. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)