Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Witch Wars

Posted by on May. 3, 2013 at 10:03 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 267 Total Views
5 moms liked this

If you don't like ranting ladies, turn back now. My apologies.

Lately I've been seeing a lot of bashing of Traditional vs Eclectic Wiccans/Witches. I'm getting tired of it honestly. (not in this group btw, just on the internet in general).

I'm an Eclectic Wiccan. Perhaps I should say witch. But I don't get caught up in labels very much. I was taught by an Eclectic Wiccan. I didn't just read a book and call myself Wiccan one day. It took years of self discovery to come to that decision. Since that day, I've never wavered.

What I believe in does NOT involve you. (General you). I don't pretend to be anything other than what I am. A person on a spiritual journey that is eclectic and somewhat undefinable. I live outside the box, because inside it doesn't fit me. Does that mean I cherry pick what I believe? Absolutely not! Matter of fact, I have believed as I do way before I ever heard the term Wiccan. Does it mean my spiritual journey has been "easy" or "unchallenging"? ABSO-FREAKING-LOOTLY NOT!

If I wanted to be unchallenged and follow an easy path, I'd just have chosen Christianity. After all that is "normal". Or at the very least, told people I'm atheist. That's what I told people who were nosy when I was in high school. 

Bottom line is that Christians have spent centuries tearing each denominations members apart. Lets learn from their mistake and SUPPORT ONE ANOTHER even if you don't agree with their path.

by on May. 3, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NiamhWitch
by Little Witch on May. 4, 2013 at 11:51 AM
2 moms liked this

I agree.  I mean, I see both sides of the coin (I'm a Libra, can't help it)... one of the reasons I stopped calling myself a Wiccan is because there's an aspect to the "traditionalist's" argument that I see validity in.  Wicca was/is a specific path... yes, there's been off-shoots and "denominations" that has differed from the original... but at what point does one's path deviate so far from the original that it can no longer be called Wicca?  That's where the real argument lies.  There isn't a general consensus of when "Wicca" is no longer Wicca and becomes something else.  I have Wiccan and Hindu influences in my path... but I am neither Wiccan nor Hindu.

When it comes down to it, it's just a label.  However, that "label" for some people represents the years of hard work in a traditional coven, earning their initiation, being put through obstacles and challenges that they'd have to overcome, etc etc... just to be able to earn using that label.  So for them, I can see why they might feel resentful of someone who didn't have to go through what they went through and are just using the label willy-nilly (in their view).  I'm not saying I necessarily agree with that, but I understand where they are coming from.

As for me... I don't see why spirituality needs to be "challenging".  Maybe I'm just one of those "easy-road" kind of people... and I mean, I *do* recognize that a level of challenge can bring a sense of accomplishment... however, spirituality is the one thing that I feel *shouldn't* be difficult.  Do I really need to walk on hot coals, climb Everest, and make fire out of two sticks and some string to have a spiritual connection to the universe?  Absolutely not!  (though... that fire thing does sound like a good thing to know regardless, LOL)  I'm not going to feel any more spiritual after doing a list of difficult tasks.  Maybe if one wishes to earn titles in a specific religion, these things might be important.  But I'm not interested in following a religion.  I'm interested in spiritual connection.  I don't play the "my path is more challenging than your path" pissing contest.

There are extremes on both ends... the super traditionalists, who mirror fundy Christians; and the ultra fluffy "in it for the spells and appearances" posers.  Get the two together... yowza.  But... I left online Pagan communities a long time ago because I just got so incredibly sick of the witch wars between fluffy bunnies and BTWs.  My gods... in all this fighting, ya'll have lost the spirituality that drew us to this path to begin with! (that's a general "ya'll")  I'm only recently coming back to the online Pagan community... but specifically staying out of Witch Wars type of forums.  It's not my thing.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Facebook.  Faery Moon Children's Coven.  FMCC Facebook.

SalemWitchChild
by Little Witch on May. 4, 2013 at 12:22 PM
3 moms liked this

I agree it is all about the spiritual connection and no you don't necessarily have to have many challenges. Though I do think there should be some personal and spiritual growth.

I can see their point. But I don't agree that picking and choosing is a bad thing or is disrespectful. Everything changes and evolves. When we try to stick to traditions that is when we cause problems. Life is about change. How can we, as people who revere the Earths divine essence, fight against change? It's inevitable.

Quoting NiamhWitch:

I agree.  I mean, I see both sides of the coin (I'm a Libra, can't help it)... one of the reasons I stopped calling myself a Wiccan is because there's an aspect to the "traditionalist's" argument that I see validity in.  Wicca was/is a specific path... yes, there's been off-shoots and "denominations" that has differed from the original... but at what point does one's path deviate so far from the original that it can no longer be called Wicca?  That's where the real argument lies.  There isn't a general consensus of when "Wicca" is no longer Wicca and becomes something else.  I have Wiccan and Hindu influences in my path... but I am neither Wiccan nor Hindu.

When it comes down to it, it's just a label.  However, that "label" for some people represents the years of hard work in a traditional coven, earning their initiation, being put through obstacles and challenges that they'd have to overcome, etc etc... just to be able to earn using that label.  So for them, I can see why they might feel resentful of someone who didn't have to go through what they went through and are just using the label willy-nilly (in their view).  I'm not saying I necessarily agree with that, but I understand where they are coming from.

As for me... I don't see why spirituality needs to be "challenging".  Maybe I'm just one of those "easy-road" kind of people... and I mean, I *do* recognize that a level of challenge can bring a sense of accomplishment... however, spirituality is the one thing that I feel *shouldn't* be difficult.  Do I really need to walk on hot coals, climb Everest, and make fire out of two sticks and some string to have a spiritual connection to the universe?  Absolutely not!  (though... that fire thing does sound like a good thing to know regardless, LOL)  I'm not going to feel any more spiritual after doing a list of difficult tasks.  Maybe if one wishes to earn titles in a specific religion, these things might be important.  But I'm not interested in following a religion.  I'm interested in spiritual connection.  I don't play the "my path is more challenging than your path" pissing contest.

There are extremes on both ends... the super traditionalists, who mirror fundy Christians; and the ultra fluffy "in it for the spells and appearances" posers.  Get the two together... yowza.  But... I left online Pagan communities a long time ago because I just got so incredibly sick of the witch wars between fluffy bunnies and BTWs.  My gods... in all this fighting, ya'll have lost the spirituality that drew us to this path to begin with! (that's a general "ya'll")  I'm only recently coming back to the online Pagan community... but specifically staying out of Witch Wars type of forums.  It's not my thing.

NiamhWitch
by Little Witch on May. 4, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I don't think picking and choosing is a bad thing either. ;-)

Quoting SalemWitchChild:

I agree it is all about the spiritual connection and no you don't necessarily have to have many challenges. Though I do think there should be some personal and spiritual growth.

I can see their point. But I don't agree that picking and choosing is a bad thing or is disrespectful. Everything changes and evolves. When we try to stick to traditions that is when we cause problems. Life is about change. How can we, as people who revere the Earths divine essence, fight against change? It's inevitable.

Quoting NiamhWitch:

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Facebook.  Faery Moon Children's Coven.  FMCC Facebook.

saltycoqui
by on May. 4, 2013 at 7:02 PM
3 moms liked this

I totally agree. 

I didn't just wake up the other day and decided, " Hey, I think I'll become Pagan just for fun!"  It took me many years to realize and pull my mind together to get where I am. What am I? As of now I have not put a solid label on myself. Eclectic wiccan? Kitchen witch? Even the definitions are debatable.  

I've been learning on my own. I love using the internet for this. I haven't felt judged because I keep away from too many groups. It's a lonely path but if that's how it's to be then so be it. I'm not going to lie to myself. 

Actually my love of science and history helped me make many decisions. I would learn things and realize, Hey that's how I think! Then my mind felt like it was expanding, opening. 

I even got a student Bible just to be sure. There was/is nothing wrong with me. Most churches are not, what I call, balanced. I feel totally confortable with my conclusion... that the God I grew up believing in could not possibly do things all his own. He needed help. He needed the Goddedss. The same as any male needs a female. And there is the balance I need. 

Whoa. Typing that out felt good. I should post that on my facebook page. 

redhead-bedhead
by Little Witch on May. 4, 2013 at 7:55 PM

clapping

moonchild8710
by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this

i agree 100% , im the same eclectic witch in study/pagan. ive believe the same i have for the all of my life. i dont ask ppl what they believe in or judge because to me i already know, so i dont need to judge anyone for what they beleive nor do i need validation in any way. i just dont understand why pagans would argue with eachother at all....i mean isnt it bad enough to deal with other more "mainstream" religion/religious ppl. i mean serioulsy

..MoonShine..
by Crone on May. 4, 2013 at 10:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Niamh and I are a lot alike. LOL I agree. 

Quoting NiamhWitch:

Zazayam
by on May. 5, 2013 at 12:48 AM
2 moms liked this

I agree, as far as the not picking everyone else apart goes. I hate labels for many reasons but that's one of the main ones.

I cherry picked like crazy until I found the perfect path for me. I made a few wrong turns and took some detours but none of it was hard for me. I don't see why spirituality is supposed to be challenging, really. Mine has been an easy little walk through the park, picking up the good bits and leaving the rest behind, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm not saying anyone is doing it wrong, please don't take it that way at all.

I don't know a whole lot about Wicca or what it is to be Wiccan...

AllofFive19
by Little Witch on May. 5, 2013 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this

You get challenged even as a Christian, i.e. different denominations and fights between them, or getting told that since you believe in (homosexuality, divorce, Lilith, Mary not being a whore) then you're not a real Christian. 

I don't care what spiritual/religious path you choose in life, as long as you don't kill people or WBC them in the name of your religion.

SalemWitchChild
by Little Witch on May. 5, 2013 at 2:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Right and that's what I mean by learning from their mistakes. All throughout history we see arguments and fights. Stop the madness! Each person should be able to live their life as they wish without judgements.

Quoting AllofFive19:

You get challenged even as a Christian, i.e. different denominations and fights between them, or getting told that since you believe in (homosexuality, divorce, Lilith, Mary not being a whore) then you're not a real Christian. 

I don't care what spiritual/religious path you choose in life, as long as you don't kill people or WBC them in the name of your religion.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)