Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can We Save the World Without Religion?

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:00 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 105 Total Views

Thoughts?

Can We Save The World Without Religion?

I came across this post by one of my favourite bloggers, John Beckett, today discussing things we value. He has recently been writing posts about developing a sacred relationship with nature and writes the following:

“There are practical reasons why we should live sustainably and respect other species and ecosystems, but no intellectual argument is strong enough to override the basic evolutionary instinct to do what’s easiest and most satisfying for me and mine, here and now. Overriding that instinct requires valuing what we preserve more than what we exploit, and developing that requires a relationship with what we would value.

This is not an intellectual matter, it is a religious matter. Only by developing a sacred relationship with Nature will we find the inspiration to change the way we live and build a society that is both compassionate for the present and sustainable for the future.”

I think he speaks a lot of truth. If we are going to really live in harmony with the world around us then it requires deep and major change in our lifestyles. Most people will do small things to help the environment, but few will make the necessary sacrifices just because they are told they need to. If there’s one thing the last decade of religious fundamentalism has taught us, its how vital it is to win the hearts and minds of people. Intellect is not enough – the heart must be involved too. And that’s what religion does. When we truly see Nature as something sacred, deep within our very being, only then will we truly be able to override the instinct for ease and make the sacrifices necessary for a life in harmony with the earth. Religion doesn’t have to mean a belief in god, but it does have to mean that we see some things as more important, more sacred, than ourselves and our own self interest. When we develop a sacred relationship with Nature, then we will have the motivation, the inspiration that will save our land. When everyone has it, we will save the earth!

by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
deathbat999
by Neophyte on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:26 AM

i agree too, i think its possible. however i think alot of people just need something to believe in. so to speak. i believe in nature and the earth. so in a way it could be said i dont follow a religon, its all in how people think.

rnmom4lif
by Little Witch on Jun. 16, 2013 at 3:45 AM

i think the only way people can truly begin to change the world for the better is by strengthening our realationship with mother nature. if you dont respect or honor the earth then why would you be motivated to save it? BUT with this being said- does a person have to be religious?i dont think so, not nessasarily- they just need to understand the fundamental need for nature within our world and understand that it needs to be respected and nutured or were all gonna be screwed eventually.

AllofFive19
by Little Witch on Jun. 16, 2013 at 1:23 PM

I disagree. I know a LOT of religious people who could care less about the earth and our role in this universe.

You can respect this planet and not be religious, just like you can be religious and not respect this planet. 

Zazayam
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I agree with this.

Quoting AllofFive19:

I disagree. I know a LOT of religious people who could care less about the earth and our role in this universe.

You can respect this planet and not be religious, just like you can be religious and not respect this planet. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)