Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stretch the Fall Wardrobe Budget Through Layering

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 35 Replies
2 moms liked this

Fall is my absolute favorite time of year. The chill in the air, the sunshine on the falling leaves, the colors, the food. What I don't like about it is the need for a new school wardrobe for the kids, the thought of Christmas presents to buy, the travel...everything adds up fast.

One of my favorite ways to save money during the fall season is to layer. Stock up on some basics to add to what your kids have already been wearing during the warmer weather, and they've got brand new looks to get them through the changing seasons.

My daughter's favorite knit dress or tee and skirt combination becomes new again with a pair of leggings and a cardigan. Keeping everything in the same color family (for example, buying blacks, grays, and purples) makes it really easy to mix and match, and stay within a budget. Inexpensive black leggings will coordinate with most of my kindergartner's spring and summer wardrobe. A long sleeved top and tights will bring her adorable tank dress right into the cooler weather, too.

And boys are just as easy to dress under the layering principle. My first grade son's favorite t-shirt is resurrected with a pair of long pants and a basic long-sleeved option (for example, a tee or thermal shirt underneath or a solid color hoodie jacket on top), all of which will go with the rest of his summer favorites as well. If he's feeling "handsome" (as my son would say), go with a solid button-up dress shirt underneath, and he's taken the look to a whole other level.

I love the layered look almost more than the bare-legged, bare-armed look of spring and summer. It's super trendy for adults and kids alike, and it adds a whole new interesting...well, layer to an outfit.

What are your favorite layering pieces for fall?

by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shopsha0911
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this

t shirts, cardigans, scarfs, leggings, and boots. 

lalasmama2007
by on Oct. 29, 2012 at 4:45 PM
I've been putting leggings under my DD's skirts and dresses.
proudmommy690
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 9:02 AM
Tfs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Madelaine
by Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 12:20 PM

jackets and t shirts

Madelaine
by Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 12:20 PM

boots and leggings too

countrygirlkat
by New Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 12:39 PM

We layer a lot in the fall because it is 20 degrees in the morning and 60 by the afternoon so they have to have layers they can take off. 

jessicasmom1
by Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 12:43 PM

a undershirt then a shirt over it layered

mrswillie
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 1:48 PM
Tanks under sweaters and scarves.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 2:01 PM
My dd has a bunch of cute camis and tank tops that we use for layering under sweaters.
kellynh
by Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 2:02 PM
Leggings with skirts and sweaters
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)