Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to Stay Cute When the Weather gets Colder

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 39 Replies
2 moms liked this

With cooler weather comes a need for warmth, for comfort and for increased coverage. But - be careful! The need for warmer clothes sometimes means that your child may desire to live in sweats and sludgy clothes, especially those kids who are less than fashion conscious. Those types of outfits are fine when you are relaxing at home, but when you take your kids out, or send them to school, odds are - you want them to represent a little better. What's a mom to do?

1 - Get your kids some good, basic pants - Every kids needs, at the minimum, a pair of jeans and a pair of nicer pants. If you've got the funds and the room for the extra clothing, a dressier pair of jeans can often bridge the gap between "too casual" and "too formal". Corduroys are a welcome addition to the fall wardrobe - stylish as well as functional, cords in darker colors hide dirt and look great in almost every situation.

2 - And a few nice tops - Most kids have a drawer full of t shirts and causal choices, but take a few minutes to look at your children's tops. Do they have a sweater or long sleeve shirt that can work for both school and weekend activities? It's all very well and good to go to the soccer field in a hoodie, but less than appropriate when visiting Grandma.

3 - Accessories are not just for grown ups - Maybe not to the extent that an adult accessorizes, but even a small child looks super cute when a necklace is paired with a turtleneck. This isn't a great idea for the very young, but the preteens will feel like a million dollars when you add a long necklace or some bangle bracelets. Scarves can dress up a plain shirt, and even boys can get into the thick of fashion with hats.

4 - Shoes can make the outfit - If your kids are anything like mine, they lived in flip flops and sandals for the warmer months. Moving to a closed toe shoe can sometimes be a difficult concept, especially for younger kids. Make the transition as painless as possible for your girls with a cute pair of boots she can wear with dresses or pants. Your boy might like a fresh new pair of high top sneakers - and don't forget new, colorful laces to jazz ‘em up even further!

5 - Pull it together with a jacket - The colder weather means that your child will need a jacket , so why not let her pick out one that's both stylish and affordable? Look for a jacket that is waterproof, for those unexpected fall showers, and if it has a detachable hood, that's a bonus for the days when the wind howls. The right jacket can make a so-so outfit better, and help a good outfit climb the ladder to amazing!

What are some of your best ways to help your children stay cute when the weather gets colder?

©iStockphoto.com/wojciech_gajda

by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Zamaria
by on Oct. 29, 2012 at 2:15 PM
We buy fleece or flannel lined jeans when we can find them, and sometimes I line the pants they already have with flannel. Layers are great, and I buy them a lot of track suit type outfits since they're really popular in our area. I have all boys, so it's a bit easier to keep them warm. Oh, and hoodies! We all love hoodies!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lalasmama2007
by on Oct. 29, 2012 at 4:44 PM
I always buy her a cute pair of boots and some warm hoodies.
proudmommy690
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 9:05 AM
Tfs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Madelaine
by Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 12:19 PM

thanks

Madelaine
by Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 12:19 PM

lots of layers

countrygirlkat
by New Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 12:41 PM

My kids mostly wear jeans and we have a collection of nice long sleeved button down shirts and sweaters for the colder weather.

jessicasmom1
by Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 12:42 PM

winter coat, hat, gloves , scarf always here 

mrswillie
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 1:48 PM
Boots are a must for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rushn311
by Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Cute hats for sure

goddess99
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this
A cute hat, gloves and bulky scarf (that I made). I love the winter, My dd gets to wear her cute frog hat again!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN