Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Little Man, Big Style.

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 35 Replies
1 mom liked this

All four of my kids have their own style. The youngest is 19 months old, so his style is still my style. But the other three (ages 3, 5, and 7) already have very strong opinions about what they like (and don't like) to wear.

My son, the seven year old, is in first grade. He is a little man with a BIG imagination. He loves to have everyone's attention, to make announcements to the class, to tell and act out stories and scenarios.

I'm not sure he's ever asked for a piece of clothing because someone else was wearing it. Not anyone in his class, anyway. He loves to dress up like a "businessman" or a "rock star". He's worn a button-up shirt and tie several times, to school, for no other reason than he wanted to "look fancy".

I love that about him. I love that he's not scared of looking different (because goodness knows, he's the only one wearing a tie in first grade), or marching to his own drum.

But when I try to get him to the wear the shirt and tie for a Grandparents' Day performance? Oh, no. He'll wear the shirt, unbuttoned with a tee underneath. No matter how many times I ask "are you sure you don't want to wear your tie today? It would look really nice when everyone was there to see you!", if he's not feeling it that day, it's not going to happen.

Most days I can lay out his clothes for school and he's completely fine with it. But when he has a notion that that day, he needs to look a certain way? There's no changing his mind. And I'm completely fine with that. Kids these days can only express themselves in certain ways, and their style is one excellent way to do that.

Do your kids prefer to blend in or stand out with their style choices?

by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lalasmama2007
by on Oct. 29, 2012 at 4:43 PM
1 mom liked this
My 5 year old likes bold colors, animal prints and clothes with a little bling on them.
proudmommy690
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 9:06 AM
I still pick my kids clothes...they pretty much like anything i put them in lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Madelaine
by Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Cute!

Madelaine
by Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Oh and they like to stand out.

dandylynes
by Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 12:25 PM

My 14 y/o goes back and forth some days she's just jeans and t-shirts, some days she's jeans and t-shirts with spikes and patches, other days she's wearing clothes that could be worn to an office.

countrygirlkat
by New Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids kind of do their own things.  Some days they are dressed in their Wranglers and boots and a button up shirt and others they are in warm-up pants and a t-shirt and tennis shoes.  I let them dress themselves unless it is a big occasion where I will pull rank. 

jessicasmom1
by Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 12:45 PM

yes DD has to blend in ... down to her socks I laugh and say "you have so many boots to match , no one sees your socks" 

mrswillie
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 1:50 PM
Ds likes standing out some. His taste is getting expensive now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rushn311
by Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 1:56 PM

My kids like what they like

goddess99
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 1:57 PM
My dd is 10 and the tallest kid in her grade so she stands out regardless but I do let her wear whatever she wants as long as it fits the weather.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)