Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Portraits on a Budget

Posted by on Oct. 31, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 39 Replies
2 moms liked this

The end of October brings the beginning of the busy holiday season, and with that, Christmas cards. Not only can the cards (and postage) themselves be a substantial chunk of the budget, but getting good, high quality pictures taken by someone who can work well with families or kids isn't cheap. Plus, you have to have something the whole family can wear that coordinates well and looks great in a photograph.

As a mom, I know that I stress a lot about what my family is going to wear for the big, annual, end-of-the-year photo shoot. And if I think that I have to go buy everyone a new outfit for it, I stress even more.

So, here are some budget-friendly tips for fall portrait sessions:

Last year, during our fall family portraits, and I had the photographer take a few of the kids in their Halloween costumes. They turned out fantastic, and if we hadn't had one with our whole family in regular clothes, we easily could've used a costume picture for a unique and adorable card. Did you get a good one with your kids in their costumes this year? Use it!

If you don't have it in the budget to hire a photographer, find a friend with a camera or use your timer and take one yourself. Or, use one that you've taken in the fall. Pumpkin patches are great places to take a photo, because of the vibrant colors and happy atmosphere.

Don't worry about matching outfits, and don't worry about being "fancy". Pictures of your family all dressed up can look very nice, but in my experience, it makes everyone uncomfortable. Instead, find a color combination that you like and let everyone pick out an outfit that they like. Prints, solids, or a combination of both can look fantastic. Try pink, gray and navy, brown, orange, and green, or a classic black and white with one other color thrown in as an accent.

You probably have the right clothes in your closets already.  If you feel like you need to shop for some (or all) of the clothes, try a discount store or consignment shop with gently-used items, and make sure you get things that everyone can keep wearing. Like serving as a bridesmaid in a wedding....isn't it so much better when you can wear the dress again?

What are your favorite family portrait tips?

by on Oct. 31, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
proudmommy690
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 8:58 AM
I dont have any tips.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Madelaine
by Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 12:21 PM

None now.  good article though!

countrygirlkat
by New Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 12:35 PM

We don't use professional photographers.  I just look through all the pictures we have taken on our own over the year and use our favorites for the Christmas card. 

jessicasmom1
by Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Nice idea .. I like the fall prints

lalasmama2007
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 1:15 PM
We don't do family portraits. We only have one child and we just get her pic taken.
Rushn311
by Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't have any tips but to make sure their bellies are full or they will be crabby LOL

mrswillie
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 1:51 PM
I really don't have any but we are planning on getting ours taken soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kellynh
by Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 2:05 PM
I do portraits at sears
goddess99
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 2:06 PM
We try to match eachother but not wear the same things. Rarely do we do family portraits though, it's usually just my dd having her picture taken.
Threes.Company
by Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 2:16 PM
2 moms liked this

I love outdoor pictures.  I don't like matchy-matchy clothes, but I do like everyone to be at least wearing the same color family.  We usually go with casual outfits so we are relaxed and happy.  I avoid wild patterns and character/name-brand-logo items. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN