Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dressing a Little Princess

Posted by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 46 Replies

My daughters, without any prompting at all (save for a few cartoons and movies), have decided that princesses are the Best. Thing. Ever. I know that some parents would rather the "P" word never enter their kids' vocabulary, but even as a self-proclaimed feminist myself, I'm okay with it. I know that I'm a good role model for my daughters, in the same way that their grandmothers, teachers, and aunts are.

How this princess obsession is most apparent  in our daily lives is in the girls' wardrobes. As long as we're at home, they can dress up however they like.They would probably wear their dress-up princess gowns out of the house regularly if I'd let them, though. But not only are they not exactly practical for gym class, they don't keep the girls all that warm, either.

But, I have found a few ways to let my girls channel their inner princesses daily.

Shoes: Whether they're sneakers with a picture of a princess on the side, flats with bows, or maryjanes covered in sparkles, the right shoes can put a twinkle in her toes and have her dancing down the sidewalk.

Dresses: They aren't princess gowns, that's for sure, but a trend this season in girls' clothes is a ballerina influence. This translates into cotton dresses with an attached tutu, stretchy fabrics with glitter woven throughout, and a lot of light pink. These all lend themselves to a lot of twirling, grooving, and pretend princess play.

Accessories: Accessories are such an easy way to dress up an outfit. Go to just about any big retail store with kids' clothes, and they'll have jewelry, hair clips, fancy socks, and headbands. Look for the ones with rhinestones, glitter, or flower embellishments and your little princess will be smiling from ear to ear, even if she's wearing a pair of jeans and plain old sweater.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with your child dressing up in public once in a while, but for every day wear, there are plenty of easy ways to make her feel like royalty.

Do you have a little princess in your household? How do you handle her dress-up pleas?

by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lalasmama2007
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 12:18 AM
My dd was really into princess stuff when she was 2-3. I never had a problem with her wanting to wear dress up stuff outside of the house.
proudmommy690
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 9:43 AM
My girls love wearing dresses and i love putting them in dresses lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
my4kidsrock2
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 9:49 AM

My daughter isn't so much into princess stuff (she actually wants to be a cowgirl), but she certainly loves dresses and dressing up. Which is great since I make kids clothes and dresses, lol.

Threes.Company
by Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 10:15 AM
My DD loves to dress up. She is really girly.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gacgbaker
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 10:18 AM

We have three little princesses who love to dress up!  My 4th daughter I'm sure will too- we usually shop the clearance items for princess things and it goes through all of them so it is money well spent!

sukainah
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I don't have a princess but I would probably do the same as you and let them dress up at home and also do little things as accessorize outside of home and give them the sparkly shoes etc...

MamaBear2cubs
by Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 11:10 AM

My daughter is not a princess type lol.

goddess99
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 11:11 AM

I do, she had a collection of Princess gowns when she was younger and now she uses her Halloween costumes from the last couple years. She's 10.

Rushn311
by Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 11:39 AM

I used to have a lil princess in the house. She doesn't do dress up at all anymore, she will be 10 next Monday.

countrygirlkat
by New Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Right now I have three sons but I hope some day we will have a girl who can be a little princess!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)