Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dressing a Little Princess

Posted by   + Show Post

My daughters, without any prompting at all (save for a few cartoons and movies), have decided that princesses are the Best. Thing. Ever. I know that some parents would rather the "P" word never enter their kids' vocabulary, but even as a self-proclaimed feminist myself, I'm okay with it. I know that I'm a good role model for my daughters, in the same way that their grandmothers, teachers, and aunts are.

How this princess obsession is most apparent  in our daily lives is in the girls' wardrobes. As long as we're at home, they can dress up however they like.They would probably wear their dress-up princess gowns out of the house regularly if I'd let them, though. But not only are they not exactly practical for gym class, they don't keep the girls all that warm, either.

But, I have found a few ways to let my girls channel their inner princesses daily.

Shoes: Whether they're sneakers with a picture of a princess on the side, flats with bows, or maryjanes covered in sparkles, the right shoes can put a twinkle in her toes and have her dancing down the sidewalk.

Dresses: They aren't princess gowns, that's for sure, but a trend this season in girls' clothes is a ballerina influence. This translates into cotton dresses with an attached tutu, stretchy fabrics with glitter woven throughout, and a lot of light pink. These all lend themselves to a lot of twirling, grooving, and pretend princess play.

Accessories: Accessories are such an easy way to dress up an outfit. Go to just about any big retail store with kids' clothes, and they'll have jewelry, hair clips, fancy socks, and headbands. Look for the ones with rhinestones, glitter, or flower embellishments and your little princess will be smiling from ear to ear, even if she's wearing a pair of jeans and plain old sweater.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with your child dressing up in public once in a while, but for every day wear, there are plenty of easy ways to make her feel like royalty.

Do you have a little princess in your household? How do you handle her dress-up pleas?

by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
RobynS
by Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 11:54 AM

My DD isn't really a princess. Occasionally she will wear a hand-me-down princess dress (someone gave us a whole set of dress-up clothes), but most of the time she's a tomboy like her mama.

BabyTeki
by New Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 12:20 PM
Right now she doesn't ask for it. I just love dressing her up
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leelee1008
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 1:34 PM

I do I do. she is almost 2 and TONS of fun. I have two older boys so I am LOVING the girly stuff. She has a love for jewelry and shoes and dresses. This christmas I am going to buy her some dress up costume jewelry.

sweetmissy_05
by Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 1:34 PM
She loves to wear dresses and loves to dress up. Right now she's been wearing her butterfly princess dress from her halloween costume.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ceciliam
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Just a boy for me.

KristinRox
by Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 2:17 PM

I have 2 girls. My oldest doesnt want to dress up as a princess anymore, and my youngest dd is just about out of that too. When my oldest was first into wearing princess stuff we embraced it. I let her wear it wherever/whenever she wanted to. She went to the mall a good many times in her princess atire. 

MamaMandee
by Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 2:28 PM

I do and as long as we are not going to school or something like that she is free to dress how she wants. 

alliesmom112
by Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Allie is very much a princess, she loves wearing dresses and skirts. We have to compromise with dd going to school because she can't wear dress shoes. So we pick out cute little outfits with leggings and skirts and and then she can wear her sparkly tennis shoes.  

alliesmom112
by Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 2:32 PM

That is our rule. As long as she is not going to school she can wear what she wants. Even when we go to church we let her wear tutus and princess dresses. 

Quoting MamaMandee:

I do and as long as we are not going to school or something like that she is free to dress how she wants. 

alliesmom112
by Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 2:33 PM

sounds like Allie she is bouncing back and forth from her Tinkerbell dress and Minnie mouse dress from Halloween. She has been asking for the Cinderella dress and now that costumes are 90% off Target we will go pick up it up and put it away for Christmas 

Quoting sweetmissy_05:

She loves to wear dresses and loves to dress up. Right now she's been wearing her butterfly princess dress from her halloween costume.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN