Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you let your children play with these dolls?

Posted by   + Show Post

Would you let your sons or daughter play with these types of dolls? 

#barbie brands-barbie

Do you think these types of dolls are hurting our children's self image?

Bratz Dolls

Do you think the dolls geared towards our children are meant to lead them in the direction of a certain career path?

G.I. Joe Hall of Fame "Martial Arts Expert" (Toy)  http://convert.li/process.php?p=B000YORVV8  B000YORVV8

by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 11:36 AM
Replies (21-30):
Starleet
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 10:33 PM

yes

Sisteract
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Kids are grown, no dolls here.

Sisteract
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Wait, Octomom? Octomom has dolls of various races?

I do not get it.

If you put a skirt on her could she be Mrs Duggar too?

goddess99
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 9:49 AM

My dd is 10 and plays with the girl dolls, now she's into the Monster High dolls,

Harris06
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 10:24 AM
I LOOOVE Barbie! So yes. I have no problems with GI Joe. So yes. I do NOT like Bratz. So no. And my reasoning is just because I don't like them. Not sure exactly what it is but I don't.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mom2jngnc
by Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:20 PM

barbie yes, GI Joe yes....

Bratz.... are a hell no. They look like Mini hookers, or prosti-tots. 

Barbie does have some that lean that way, but as long as they still offer "career" or family barbie she will be allowed.

cowboysgirl3227
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:53 PM

My daughter has always loved Barbie and so have I.  I have no problems with Barbie at all.  Bratz, well, she went through a time when she liked them somewhat but she sold them at our yard sale this year.  It was her decision.  I honestly do not believe that any of these dolls influence a child's self-esteem or future career path in any way.

Roo1234
by Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Personally, I think these dolls aren't the cause of poor self-image.  I think there are far greater influences--the mother who is always on a diet, the parents and grandparents who frequently praise the girls for how pretty they are, the parents who constantly praise results, not efforts.

I have never banned my kids from playing with any of these things, but I have also spent a greater amount of time focusing on making sure they know our values and the fact that the pop culture movement of celebrity over substance isn't worth focusing on.  

So far it seems to have worked.  My 12 yo daughter sees far more value in substance and being herself  than in wearing the "right" clothes--which by the way can change next week--and chasing arbitraily "cool" and material things that don't reflect her as a person, but rather as a consumer.  She is fully aware of what is popular and current, but she judges things on what she finds valuable not what others value. She is a leader, not a follower.

My sons also focus on what is meaningful to them (toy wise) and I spend a lot of time making them aware of how they should view people (especially women) rather than how media presents them on TV.

chattycassie
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 2:45 PM

My youngest who is 6 still plays with Dolls. She loves them I think they are great. Barbie is MY all time favorite she has everything and works m-f 9-5 she is a terrific role model in my opinion. :)

VintageWife
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 2:55 PM

No, because Mrs. Duggar does not wear excessive makeup, have plump-y lips, show her midriff or overdo her eyebrows and walk around with an attitude.

I picked Octomom on purpose. That second one looks close to her and she (octomom) is okay with selling her body (i think the Bratz can look hoochie sometimes). I agree with the PP that said the Bratz give off a look of attitude. They do. For that matter, their name is Brat(z). Really?!?

I'm not judging other moms allowing them, but I won't. I find Barbie to be much more appropriate in my home than Bratz.

Quoting Sisteract:

Wait, Octomom? Octomom has dolls of various races?

I do not get it.

If you put a skirt on her could she be Mrs Duggar too?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)