Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At what age do you allow your child full choice of their clothing?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 11:22 AM
  • 26 Replies
1 mom liked this

We were shopping for pajamas on Saturday for our 9 year old. We haven't allowed him to purchase clothing with skulls and cross bones and we've explained why to him. While shopping we saw some jammies with them on and I said to him, ya know what you are old enough to chose your own clothes now. You know how we feel about certain things but it's your choice now.

He said he didn't want the skulls and cross bone ones, which made me happy :)

At what age do you allow your child to have full choice of what they wear?

by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 11:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shellness
by New Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this

From the time they are allowed to choose I gave them almost 90% control. I kept some control and still do with my 16 yr. old dd up until they are grown. I mean she might pick out something a bit to revealing.

Harris06
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this
I basically let my 3 year old pick out an wear what she wants. I, of course, have the reigns but more or less she picks out clothes. She has good fashion sense and she knows what se likes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Janet
by Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I let them as long as there is nothing wrong with what they choose.

proudmommy690
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 11:45 AM
I give my 6yr old and 3yr old a choice between a few outfits. Full control im not sure lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 3:41 PM

They all get some say, but I maintain veto power, even w/ my 13 y/o. As long as they live under our roof, they have to follow our basic guidelines as to what is acceptable in clothing. Once they are out on their own, they can have 100% control.

sweetmissy_05
by Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 4:54 PM

I let them choose what they want to wear as long as they are appropriate and match.

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 10:07 PM

She's 12 and she gets more and more control over what we buy. She know nothing too revealing, and she's fine with that. And we haven't had any battles over what she wears. She won't have full control though until she's buying her own clothes.

alliesmom112
by Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 10:21 PM

my 4 year old pretty much picks out her own clothes. She know there are things we do not allow like skulls, crossbones, witches, devils, etc. and she is pretty good about not picking those types of things. 

LOswald0314
by Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 1:18 AM
They can choose, within reason. We can always say no.
heather4511
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 3:53 AM
For the most part right now, I do all of my 5 year olds clothes shopping myself. But I let her decide on her own outfits to wear each day.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)