Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At what age do you allow your child full choice of their clothing?

Posted by   + Show Post

We were shopping for pajamas on Saturday for our 9 year old. We haven't allowed him to purchase clothing with skulls and cross bones and we've explained why to him. While shopping we saw some jammies with them on and I said to him, ya know what you are old enough to chose your own clothes now. You know how we feel about certain things but it's your choice now.

He said he didn't want the skulls and cross bone ones, which made me happy :)

At what age do you allow your child to have full choice of what they wear?

by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 11:22 AM
Replies (21-26):
GotSomeKids
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:34 PM

I let them start picking their own clothes in kindergarten.  The only time I intervine is if it is inappropriate or not good for current weather conditions.

lillucky8
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:17 AM
Mine are two and four months so they wont have full rein(sp) for quite a while
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GleekingOut
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:18 AM

How old is your DD? mine is 21 and constantly buys things that are too...provocative (yes she lives with me) so what would you do if she bought something too revealing?

Quoting nngmommy83:

DD mostly has full choice of what she wears to a certain extent. She cannot wear and I won't buy things that are too revealing and she knows that so she doesn't even try

reneawesley
by New Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:29 AM
My 5 and 3 yr old have full control. I may choose something for a special occasion but other than that it's all them. They rarely match but it's part of their style.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
godsgirl26
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Sometimes i pick out their stuff. We are like you no skulls or bones no creepy stuff.

coolmommy2x
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:11 PM
DS is 12 and is fine with me picking out everything. It's a combination of laziness and knowing that 100% what he will and will not wear so there are no issues. DD is 8 and a self proclaimed fashionista so she has her own ideas. For the most part I am OK with it because if it's not appropriate, I won't buy it. If they want to wear inappropriate weather clothes, I sometimes let them so they can make better choices next time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN