Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At what age do you allow your child full choice of their clothing?

Posted by   + Show Post

We were shopping for pajamas on Saturday for our 9 year old. We haven't allowed him to purchase clothing with skulls and cross bones and we've explained why to him. While shopping we saw some jammies with them on and I said to him, ya know what you are old enough to chose your own clothes now. You know how we feel about certain things but it's your choice now.

He said he didn't want the skulls and cross bone ones, which made me happy :)

At what age do you allow your child to have full choice of what they wear?

by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 11:22 AM
Replies (11-20):
SailorMom82
by New Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 4:13 AM
My kids (7 and2) both pick out their own clothes...my 7 year old wears what he wants unless it just really doesn't match...plaid shorts and striped polo shirt wont usually make it out the door :) he usually does good.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Andrews
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 3:53 PM

I don't know because we aren't to that stage yet. 

4kidz916
by Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I let them make their own decisions from early ages but I still set the rules on how short or low cut the clothes are. 

MommeisQueen
by Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:03 PM

good for you all...I'm not into that kind of thing either especially not for children...there have been too many teens in our community who have taken their own lives...I just don't like anything not positive and uplifting...life is tough, we need to build one another up and teach our kids to do the same 

MommeisQueen
by Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:05 PM

...oh, right now my 8 yr old chooses her own outfits from what I buy her...when she is close to middle school I will start letting her choose her own at the store but I will have final say since I am mom and I'm paying...when she can buy her own clothes she can choose her own. 

coffman125
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:15 PM

I pick out my 5 yr old daughters clothes my 11 year old picks her own stuff out but shows me. No painted on jeans or butt huggers allowed. I let them express there self at any age.

EbonySnow
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:30 PM

when I feel she is responsible enough

tabi_cat1023
by Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I think my 8 year old would do awesome choosing his clothes honestly so about that age.  I dont have huge limits for my boys..just weatehr appropriate, must fit right, and nothing vulgar.

momma-flynn
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 7:10 PM
Full choice will come when she moves out & uses her own money on clothes. I let her help shop but I always have final say
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nngmommy83
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:27 PM

DD mostly has full choice of what she wears to a certain extent. She cannot wear and I won't buy things that are too revealing and she knows that so she doesn't even try

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)