Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who Needs Brand New?

Posted by   + Show Post

I have four kids, and they all grow relatively fast (as kids do). So dressing them in seasonal-appropriate clothing each year can get EXPENSIVE. My girls are close to the same size, so it's easy to pass down items to the younger girl as soon as the older girl grows out of them. And most of the time, they still look brand new (or very close to it). My oldest daughter and son, though, depend on me to get them new clothes when they grow out of them, but I can't afford to go to the store and pick up brand new things every time they need a new pair of pants. I have found that gently-used clothing is just as good and a WAY more affordable solution.

Create a "Club"- You've heard of girlfriends getting together and swapping clothes they no longer wear. Do the same with your kids' clothes! Find a few friends and/or family members with kids of slightly different ages and pass the clothes around. Write your initials on the tags (if you want to eventually get them back), and don't include any ripped or stained pieces. Put away the clothes that your kids have grown out of, and at the beginning of each season, when you have a hefty stash built up, or when you've setup a time to get together, pass them on to the appropriate family. This is especially great for those fancy holiday dresses or suits that your kids will probably wear only once (for say, church on Christmas morning).

Check out online auction sites- You can often find "lots" of clothing (for example: 12 pairs of 5T winter pants or 6 sets of size 6 pajamas) for a very affordable price from moms who are trying to make a little money getting rid of all of the clothes their kids have outgrown.  And if they're still in good condition when you're done with them, you can turn around and sell them for a few bucks!

Frequent consignment shops- Goodwill and other local resale shops often have hidden treasures at fantastic prices. Find out when they often put the "new" items out on the floor and stop by then. I love to look for unique, vintage-y pieces that have personality.

How do you feel about gently-used clothing for your kids? Do you take advantage, or pass on them?

ÂŠiStockphoto.com/ermingut

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
Sisteract
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Great ideas

KristinRox
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I LOVE hand me downs. I LOVE when people give me their kids clothes. Often times they are still in GREAT condition and they are simply adorable. I always get compliments on how well my children are dressed, little do some people know, that the kids clothes are hand me downs, or clothing that Ive bought at a second hand store. 

KristinRox
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Thats another good point. Selling your kids old clothes can and does help with getting newer clothes for your kiddo. 

Quoting elasmimi:

My child rarely gets new clothes, except undies. I have a favorite conssignment sale I go to twice a year for almost her whole wardrobe. I make enough selling her outgrown clothes to pay for what I buy.

JOIN US ON:

MamaBear2cubs
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I love gently used clothing! We do thrift stores all the time.

missladyvixen1
by New Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I buy new clothes, but I always shop a year in advance. I already brought all  my daughter's summer clothes for next year. I get any were between 50%-85% off. I have been doing this since she was a baby and will contunie until she is able to buy her own stuff.

celestegood
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Quoting 4kidz916:

I've always welcomed gently used clothes. They are a real money saver.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Quoting MamaBear2cubs:

I love gently used clothing! We do thrift stores all the time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heather4511
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 4:14 AM
I love our consignment shop. My friend also has a son a year younger, so she passes the clothes to me and they are always in great condition.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
God_is_good961
by New Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:22 PM

I think this is a wonderful idea. I have done this since my boys were infants, because children's clothes are expensive. Now for the holidays I buy one brand new pair of pants and a shirt for pictures, but other than that they get gently used clothes from friends or give-aways.

ACSSUCKS
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 4:49 PM

90% of what he wears is used especially shoes and I love it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)