Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Clothing Your Kids Challenge Day 3: Add Layers for Warmth and Style

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:30 PM
  • 67 Replies

When the seasons transition sometimes it's tough to know what clothes to put on your kids. Dressing for a cold bus stop is a lot different than dressing for a heated classroom. Today's challenge is to incorporate layers into your kids' wardrobe! Layers are a practical way to add a little extra flare to your kids' outfits.

• An under shirt adds not only warmth but style! You can choose items such as tee shirts, camisoles, and thermals. Boys can add an undershirt to a button down shirt and both boys and girls can use them as a layer under sweaters.
  • Mix different colors and fabrics! Make the colors pop by mixing in light and dark colors or solids and patterned items.
  • Scarfs are an easy way for girls of all ages to add an extra layer for style.  A scarf can be used to dress up or dress down an outfit.
  • For babies, using a solid onsies under a printed shirt or dress adds a little extra style to an outfit.

simple smile

Do your kids wear layers? Do they typically where layers more for warmth or style? What layering tips would you add?

If you missed yesterday's activity, you can find it here. If you haven't signed up for the Clothing Your Kids Challenge yet, you can do so here!

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PEEK05
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:46 PM

No not really.  My kids overheat if in layers.  However, if my daughter wants to wear a dress with tank top straps, I will put a coordinating long sleeved shirt underneath and she either wears leggings or thick cotton tights under.

sweetmissy_05
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:49 PM

No my kids have sensory problems and can't handle layers.

othermom
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:53 PM

My kids layer sometimes, but not to often. There are certain shirts I insist that they wear an under shirt with. When we go out in the cold we do layer

aneela
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:56 PM

we layer if it's going to be really cold...i try to put an undershirt then a fleece shirt and a fun shirt over it for him...then if he needs or wants a jacket..we pick an appropriate one

GotSomeKids
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:00 PM

My daughter does like to wear layers for both weather and fashion reasons.  It's pretty cold and wet most of the year and she likes to wear t shirts under or over longer sleeve shirts since her school keeps it pretty warm, but outside is pretty cold.

As for fashion, she loves to layer leggings under her shirts/skorts.  This is wear she really likes to make a statement.

IncognitoOne
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:02 PM

I'll actually layer their clothes for warmth, and buy clothes that LOOK layered for the style when layering isn't needed. 

godsgirl26
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:08 PM
Yes they wear layers. They also wear layers for warmth & style. I try to make every outfit cute :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
4kidz916
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Sometimes they'll layer a long sleeve tshirt under a short sleeve shirt.  Or we'll put a tank top under a short sleeve top. 

Mrs.Andrews
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:14 PM

We always wear layers. we don't use heat in our house unless it's REALLY cold, like freezing. 

MZ.B777
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Yes somethings are ment to be layered and if they get to hot they can take off a layer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)