Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dealing with Kids Personal Fashion Tastes

Posted by   + Show Post

Everyone has their own fashion sense. This is a good thing, because it allows each of us to express our own sense of creativity - and our children are certainly not left out of this. After all, who among us hasn't seen a child dressed in public, and smiled to ourselves, knowing that the child must have dressed himself? Or gone to the grocery store with a little girl wearing a tutu, tiara, frog rain boots and a super hero cape?

Sometimes, it's just not worth the battle. It doesn't matter, in the long run, if your child wears the same pants for a month - as long as you can wash them, of course - or refuses to wear the color orange.

There may be some times, though, that you have to fight the good fight. You may be going to visit grandma, and you just know that grandma will make a fuss if Junior isn't in a suit and tie. So, you have to compromise. How can you meet the fashion needs and desires of your child without squashing their individuality, and help them to stay appropriately clothed in a non attention grabbing fashion?

• Pick your battles - Be stubborn about something else. Not everything is a battle. Is it really super important that your child go to church dressed nicely? Then maybe you can let go of the control when the child goes to the park. You can't be in charge every single time - your child has to feel a sense of autonomy in order to develop a sense of self.
  • Be willing to compromise - Sometimes, you have to let go and allow your child to wear that purple tie with a yellow shirt. Maybe you will be insistent that your daughter wear a dress, but you can let her wear brightly colored tights and boots.
  • Understand that they aren't trying to be difficult - Your child is learning to develop a sense of self and not trying to make you mad. Well, not in this instance, probably. So don't take it personally when your son tells you that your choices stink. He doesn't really mean it. (I hope.)
  • Go with the flow - It's a true testament to parenting that there's always going to be something going on, something to get annoyed about, something that will need your effort and attention. Clothing probably isn't worth it - unless it's morally offensive or completely against your ethical values, it's probably not worth the argument.

How do you help your child learn to develop a sense of style without having an enormous argument?

ŠiStockphoto.com/asiseeit

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:10 PM
Replies (11-20):
ceciliam
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:13 AM

I haven't had an issue with this, yet.

slw123
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:46 AM

I go with the flow on fashion right now.  I don't care if my daughter wears wild socks or tights.

Wish2Be
by New Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Well DS is only 3 right now and only sometimes he has an objection to what I put on him. I think for the next 3-4 years...I am going to let him create his own style...if he wants to wear a fireman hat, water boots, and shorts to the store....then he can go for it :)

Wish2Be
by New Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Quoting slw123:

I go with the flow on fashion right now.  I don't care if my daughter wears wild socks or tights.

I think wild socks and tights are adorable ! :)

CafeMom Tickers
Wish2Be
by New Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Quoting .Angelica.:

i let my son dress himself as long as it's weather appropriate and clean. lol

This is my approach too :)

CafeMom Tickers
MamaMandee
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:07 PM

As long as the clothes are not ripped up, dirty, or way to cold then Im pretty much okay with whatever they want to wear. 

slw123
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Quoting Wish2Be:

Quoting slw123:

I think wild socks and tights are adorable ! :)

I do too.  Plus she's only 9, so her hair is still in pigtails, lol.

Rushn311
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:32 PM

We learn to compromise

arpazia
by New Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:39 PM
My son is welcome to wear anything he likes, as long as its weather appropriate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrygirlkat
by New Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:11 PM

We let them wear what they want except for on special occasions where they need to be in something specific but we keep those few and far between.  That way when we do really need that they are willing to give in since they usually get to decide. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)