Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Off-Season Bargain Shopping

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 32 Replies
2 moms liked this

The best deals I've ever found for brand new kids' clothing items were on the clearance rack. I absolutely love the thrill of seeing that rack with all of its red-tag glory, and finding adorable clothes in the right sizes. Inevitably, the clothes are last seasons' leftovers, so in September, I'm likely to find swim suits and shorts on sale. Come March, it'll be snowsuits.

If you keep an eye out, you can shop strategically and always stay ahead of the game, while saving a ton of money in the process.

The first thing you can do to really make the most of your money is take an inventory at the end of each season of what your children have that you think will still fit that time next year. For example, take out all of the sweaters that barely fit or are already too small and put them in the "old" clothes pile (for donation, siblings, hand me downs, etc.). Keep the sweaters that still have plenty of room and that should probably fit next fall/winter and put them in a box clearly marked so there's less chance of forgetting about it in a years' time. Do the same with spring/summer clothes when the weather starts to get cooler.

Based on your inventory, decide what your children will most likely need next year to supplement what they already have. If they grew out of everything, you know you'll have to start from scratch. If they still have ten sweaters that seem large enough for next year, you know you'll need to focus on pants or jackets (or nothing at all if they are still stocked on all of that season's must-haves).

With your list in hand, make a trip to a few of your favorite stores (in person or online) as they're just starting to introdeuce next season's stock. That is the perfect time to find amazing deals on last season's stock on the sale racks. Buy what each child needs when you find a deal that you just can't pass up, and make sure you sort your finds and put them in the proper boxes! I am notorious for finding great deals on things my kids won't need until next year, and losing them before next year rolls around.

What are your favorite sale rack strategies?

by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Harris06
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Search and browse. I don't really have a great strategy. I pretty much luck into my clearence/sale stuff. And I have terrible luck. Sad, huh? haha I don't usually shop too far in advance because it just gets confusing and takes up space that I don't have at the moment.

elasmimi
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 8:42 AM

I always did this with my own kids, but this one doesn't seem to grow on schedule. I bought a lot of size 6 last year, and they are still way too big, but she will probably have outgrown them by next winter.

BabyTeki
by New Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 9:07 AM
I love the clearance racks. I seem to find a lot at kohls and target
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MichelleK41
by New Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 9:23 AM

First love the OP's screen name!  For me I look for the huge red or yellow clearance signs. =)

arpazia
by New Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 9:30 AM
I go for the clearance racks.
I can spot those things a mile before I even reach the store!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Madelaine
by Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Good ideas!

lalasmama2007
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 9:46 AM

I always shop the clearance racks out of season.

GwenMB
by Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Inventory is definitely my downfall.  I forget what I already have in that size & end up with a lot more clothes than my boys need!  Thankfully, I do most of my buying at garage sales so I'm not wasting too much money.  I have tubs for each size, so I do manage to get everything in tubs & can then find them.

I do need to start clearance rack shopping, though.  It can be harder in a smaller town (not as many stores so not as many clearance racks), but if we get to bigger towns & I can take time to shop, I will look then.  Online shopping is definitely awesome! :)

natesmom1228
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 11:10 AM

I don't have one. I look for the right size and go from there.

PinkParadox
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Yep... I do this every season. I get stocking stuffers this way too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)