Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you ever sewn your own clothes for your children?

Posted by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 6:21 PM
  • 24 Replies

Sometimes finances are tight! They may want that ultra fashionable skirt for $30 that their friend got from the store but lets be real, $30 for a skirt?? Really?? Its so much easier and cheaper to make it yourself!

So! Do you ever sew your childrens clothes yourself?

If so, do you take inspiration from store fashions or do you like to come up with some of your own patterns?

If you have clothes you have sewn, show them off!

by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 6:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Harris06
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:49 AM

I have not....YET! BUT I am not opposed. I just have not had a chance. I used to sew clothes for me when I was younger. I never attempted a shirt but I have made skirts and shorts.

proudmommy690
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 9:14 AM
Idk how to sew lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
flowerfunleah
by Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:40 AM

lol me either, but i want to!

Quoting proudmommy690:

Idk how to sew lol

flowerfunleah
by Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:41 AM

I would sew me a big comfy house shirt that fit around my boobs!

Quoting Harris06:

I have not....YET! BUT I am not opposed. I just have not had a chance. I used to sew clothes for me when I was younger. I never attempted a shirt but I have made skirts and shorts.

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:45 AM

I used to sew her fancy Halloween costumes, and party dresses. By the time you buy the pattern, the fabric, thread and whatever else you might need, plus your time, the cost really adds up, so I didn't think it was worthwhile unless it was a dress for a special occasion. But now that she's into juniors sizes, the prices of every little thing is more, so I've been thinking of sewing for her again.

flowerfunleah
by Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Ooh would love to see some pics of your party dresses!

Quoting SweetLuci:

I used to sew her fancy Halloween costumes, and party dresses. By the time you buy the pattern, the fabric, thread and whatever else you might need, plus your time, the cost really adds up, so I didn't think it was worthwhile unless it was a dress for a special occasion. But now that she's into juniors sizes, the prices of every little thing is more, so I've been thinking of sewing for her again.

proudmommy690
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 12:21 PM
Me too

Quoting flowerfunleah:

lol me either, but i want to!

Quoting proudmommy690:

Idk how to sew lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Janet
by Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 12:31 PM

I don't know how to sew!   lol

Larisa72
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 12:33 PM

yep...I started sewing with my mom when I was young (mostly just helping locate pattern pieces and handing her pins), 30+ years later, and I make a lot of clothing for my daughter, some shirts and sleep pants for my son, shirts for my hubby, and whatever strikes my fancy for myself.

I usually start with a pattern, but there have been times when the neckline wasn't just right or something, so I tweak it to fit {insert name} properly.  It's hard for my DD because she is so skinny that store bought clothing doesn't always fit her correctly...same for DS, but he's ok with loose pants and big shirts...not so much with the fashion diva

flowerfunleah
by Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 12:42 PM

I would love to learn to sew so that patterns I love I can fix to fit around my bust.

Quoting Larisa72:

yep...I started sewing with my mom when I was young (mostly just helping locate pattern pieces and handing her pins), 30+ years later, and I make a lot of clothing for my daughter, some shirts and sleep pants for my son, shirts for my hubby, and whatever strikes my fancy for myself.

I usually start with a pattern, but there have been times when the neckline wasn't just right or something, so I tweak it to fit {insert name} properly.  It's hard for my DD because she is so skinny that store bought clothing doesn't always fit her correctly...same for DS, but he's ok with loose pants and big shirts...not so much with the fashion diva

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)