Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Marching To The Beat

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 40 Replies

Some kids naturally march to the beat of a different drummer. Some, like my son, prefer a plaid button up shirt and striped tie to a t-shirt and jeans. Others, like my daughter, will wear her jeans and sweater with fairy wings and polka dot boots.

With some gentle love and encouragement, kids can use their imaginations to drift away to other worlds, get lost in stories of generations past and future, find friends who share their love of the extraordinary, and grow up to be the most interesting of individuals.

So, what kind of kid wears a tutu and flip flops with striped socks, or shorts and a winter coat on a beautiful day in spring?

The kind of kid who:

Prefers the Rolling Stones to Yo Gabba Gabba

Rocks a vintage dress while her classmates are in the trends of the season

Hangs out with an imaginary monster named Cecil

Schools her friends in the ways of Japanese anime

Names her cat after a Powerpuff girl

Spends his days building worlds in Minecraft and Lego universes

Wears a Superman costume every day of the year

Will request a Dr. Who birthday party

Twirls her umbrella down the street under rays of sunshine

Plays fashion stylist with her dolls

Has seen every episode of Tom and Jerry

Can't wait for December and the chance to watch A Claymation Christmas

Has Converse Chucks in 14 different colors, and can't wait to get more

Speaks for the trees

Dusts off his favorite leather jacket as soon as there's a nip in the air

Has hair longer than his sister's

Sits in the grass and blows dandelion petals while everyone else plays tag

Makes music videos with a hand-me-down camcorder

Will wear only green and orange (together).

How do your kids express their individuality? How do you encourage it?

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lillucky8
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:20 AM
Mine are a bit small still but dd is getting into wearing tutus over her clothes and those big flower hair clips
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4kidz916
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:04 AM

When my 15 yo daughter was smaller (around age 2) she wore a princess crown everywhere we went.  

chrissysnow22
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:13 AM
1 mom liked this
My 2 year old son's favorite songs are Aint to proud to beg and A man's world. He prefers to rock out on his guitar or drums all day and I let him wear his Spider-Man motorcycle jacket around the house. I think every kid is different, and special. I love it
cara124
by New Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this

DD 17 express herself with floral/girly things ... Big flowers lots of sparkle.... DD 15 prefers jeans, hoodies and lots of pink LOL ...... DS 11 express himself with jeans & any graphic tee the depicts a video game he loves.... I help by paying for all the clothes JK ...... I help by letting them be who they are while guiding them to what should and shouldn't be woren when ......

cara124
by New Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:57 AM

I love the little girls in tutus ! .... I wish mine were still little enough to enjoy this trend LOL ...

Quoting lillucky8:

Mine are a bit small still but dd is getting into wearing tutus over her clothes and those big flower hair clips

elasmimi
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:06 AM
Mine is very picky about her clothes, has been since she was about three. She has a real fashion flair at 6.
arpazia
by New Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:07 AM
Ds(7) really doesn't care yet!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like my dd. Hell yeah I encourage it!! Fun is Fun. Why have a boring kid?

GwenMB
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:00 AM

My older son, age 5.5, expresses his individuality more with what he's interested in, and the facts he can spout, than anything he wears.  I loved that he was telling the lady doing Science Saturday at the library how waves in the ocean are made. :)

My younger son is particular about what he wears.  The average person may not usually realize it, though.  He does always want soft clothes & prefers brown or his MN Vikings clothes.  (I really need to replace the jersey he always wears, its getting to small.)

BabyTeki
by New Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this
They haven't started yet, but I hope they're that way rather then blending in with the crowd
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)