Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Coats and Kids Don't Always Go Together

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 6:00 PM
  • 36 Replies
2 moms liked this

Getting kids to wear coats is almost as difficult as getting an elephant stand on one leg. I don't quite understand the trouble, but I've never met a kid who likes to wear a coat. When I worked at the elementary school, it was not unusual to go out at recess and see all of the coats in a pile on the playground. When they went back into class, many of the kids left them there - I think on purpose.

Ask any adult though, especially the ladies, and they have multiple coats for multiple situations. So why don't kids like coats, and how can we get them to wear them? Some of the trouble lies in the fact that kids don't like to be constricted. Coats are confining; they make it more difficult to run and jump, and kids need their space.

Kids are also hot-blooded. As a rule, children's body temperatures tend to be much warmer than adults, and the fact that they are typically very active when outside means that they need a coat much less than an adult does. This does not mean however that the child can go without a coat. They still need a coat – but often, a child can get away with a lightweight jacket when an adult may be bundled up in a parka.

The last piece of the puzzle would be the most important one for my children – coats are often thought of as unfashionable. Especially if it's a hand-me-down, some kids just don't like the looks of many coats.

So what's a savvy parent to do?

• Ask your child his or her opinion. Many times, the battle overcoats can be resolved by asking a child which coat he would rather wear, A or b. It needs to be presented as nonnegotiable, but flexible.
  • Let your child pick out the coat. If you are concerned about being able to pass it down, try to steer your child towards a more basic coat. But your child needs to like it, or he will never wear it. Finally, accessories are a savvy mom's best friend. Zipper pulls, fancy buttons, and a cute scarf can all take the most basic coat into the next direction.
  • Make sure you remember to toss that coat in the washing machine every once in a while. It always amazes me how incredibly filthy my own children's coats can get, and a simple trip through the washer and dryer at night can make that coat look brand-new for the next day.
  • Cute versus practical – there's always one adorable coat, that your child must have, and yet you can tell just by looking at it that the wind will whistle through. My own mother always had a rule that our coats must cover our bottoms. I hated that role as a child, and the first year I was out of Mione, I bought a cute short jacket – and I froze the whole winter. Figure out where you draw the line with acute versus practical, and realize that even if you can't find something at one store, it may be at another.
  • Don't underestimate the beauty of the polar fleece - it's soft, warm, comes in many colors, and did I mention that it's warm? This wonder fabric is thin enough to allow for ample freedom, and can be warm enough to keep your child comfortable well into the early months of winter.

Do you have trouble getting your children to wear a coat in the fall and winter? What are your tried and true solutions?

©iStockphoto.com/ktaylorg

by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 6:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4kidz916
by Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 8:06 AM

We all hate the cold weather but we also hate wearing big coats.  It's a struggle to get anyone in my house to wear a coat and shoes (other than flip flops).  I guess we're just summer time people at heart. 

GwenMB
by Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 8:19 AM

This morning will be interesting. My 4yo often refuses to wear his coat (despite having picked it out himself) and its -6 this morning. I've let him have his way other days, but not wearing a coat is not an option today! Even in the car, it's a necessity. He will wear it when he's cold, so hopefully he realizes quickly that he needs it.

MichelleK41
by New Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Mine will wear a hoodie or a sweat shirt or a light jacket with no problem. Now keeping it on when having recess at school may be another story. They'll wear a heavy coat if our weather actually ever gets that cold, LOL.

mrswillie
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Nope. Mine like them

jessicasmom1
by Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:05 AM

when it gets cold enough she will wear hers .. otherwise it is hoodies in many colors

HyperMom38
by Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:06 AM

HaHa!  I live in the frozen north 5 minutes from the Canadian border... coats are not an issue up here!  You either wear one or you freeze!  My kid puts one on with no issue and sometimes asks for her her ski pants too!

lillucky8
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:08 AM
My dd hates being cold so she always has layers on, no problems getting her to wear her coat
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
natesmom1228
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:12 AM

My son wears a hoodie most of the time.

Mommy2justone
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:15 AM

We wear a layered fleece in the car (because you shouldn't put a puffy coat in a car seat)and then we have a blanket we keep in the car. 
If we go out to play we were the big coat, and she never bothered to have an opinion about it because she got it for her birthday last year. She picks out the fleece ones usually.  

cara124
by New Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:23 AM

I combat this issue by know what my child will wear and what they won't ... My hate hate Puffy coats so we get warm stream lined ones... Luckly for us living in CA winters aren't that cold so we don't have many coat battles LOL .

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)