Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dressing Up For the Holidays

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 41 Replies
2 moms liked this

The holidays are stressful on a budget anyway, but add the dress-up clothes that your kids will wear to church, or school programs, or holiday parties to the list of things you need to buy, and the budget just gets tighter. And when you consider that these outfits will only be worn once or twice and probably won't fit the same child next year, it's hard to want to shell out a lot of money for them.

There are a few ways to find those fancy dresses and outfits, though, and spend a lot less money on them.

Consider handmade: Online shops are so popular for unique, personalized or custom children's items, but they can be pricey. If you have some sewing skill or know someone who does, finding a cute pattern and supplies to make your own outfits can really cut down on cost, especially if you already have some fabric on hand or can find it on sale.

Shop Black Friday deals: Department stores are awesome for sending out coupons and having great sales at the start of the holidays. This can be great for hard to find pieces, like boys' dress pants. Combine the coupons with the sales and you can get a fantastic deal on what you need (plus, all of those new, fancy ensembles will be on display!).

Second-hand: As I've mentioned before, online auctions and second-hand stores can be great places to find these kinds of items, especially since they're rarely worn more than a couple of times. You may have to dig a little to find just what you need, but it can be worth it to save the money. Start looking in the fall for the best chances.

Hand-me-downs: Find a friend or relative that has kids slightly older and hit them up for their nicer clothes. Chances are, they'll be thrilled to see them being put to good use again.

I absolutely love seeing my kids dressed up in their holiday outfits, but they are so not practical! Any way to save money on them is great, in my opinion.

How do you find bargains on fancy holiday clothes?

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:12 PM

I just look for sales. I got lucky this year, my dd's Christmas dress from last year still fits =)

lalasmama2007
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:27 PM

I look for sales.  I also use coupons and kohls cash.

countrygirlkat
by New Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:31 PM

We don't get too fancy for the holidays.  My kids always own black Wrangler Jeans and cowboy boots so they will add a nice western button down shirt and they are set and this is something they can wear year round to things so it is easy. 

.Angelica.
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I don't buy holiday clothes, but my friends love to dress up my kids so I don't need to. lol

KaylaMillar
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:52 PM

I only buy when its on sale

sukainah
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Either sales, or finding that perfect item at used stores.

MamaBear2cubs
by Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:13 PM
I found all my kids nice Holiday outfits at the thrift store for $1.
arpazia
by New Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:26 PM
We don't dress up!
We get ds some Xmas Jammie's and that's it:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MichelleK41
by New Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Clearance racks, goodwill and hand me downs. =)

ceciliam
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:14 PM

I figure out what look I want to go for and then see if I can find it on sale.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN