Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cold Weather Fashion

Posted by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 7:35 AM
  • 26 Replies
2 moms liked this

Long gone are the days of throwing on a pair of flip flops and running out the door. Leaving the house in the winter takes a bit more preparation, and if you aren't careful, your kids may walk out the door looking a bit, shall we say, homeless. My own children are absolutely famous for leaving the house in 30 degree weather wearing a sleeveless shirt, a tutu and flowery sandals. When they are called on it, the protestations of "But this is what I want to wear - and I'm not cold!" seem to fill my ears forever.

How to get the kids to dress appropriately for the weather is a constant discussion in my house - and I'd venture to say, in yours as well. Short of holding them down and forcing the correct weather apparel on their bodies, how do you do it?

• Make it fun - there's a reason that there is a proliferation of character gear available - kids are more apt to wear a Hello, Kitty hat than a plain black hone - so take advantage of it. Maybe your boy loves MInecraft; there are a ton of Minecraft winter apparel opportunities. Maybe your daughter goes gaga for Barbie - buy some Barbie gloves and watch her refuse to take them off.
  • Make some of it non negotiable - In our house, a hat is an absolute after a certain temperature drop, and because my children are asthmatics, scarves are also required (on the recommendation of their allergist). I allow more wiggle room on gloves. Pick what your battle area is and let the rest go. For my own mom, we always had to have a coat that covered our bottoms.
  • Let them pick out their gear - Especially as your child gets a bit older, giving her a bit of money and some guidelines to buy winter gear may work in your favor. It's less work for you, she gets to feel like a big shot, and the odds are better that she will wear it.
  • Model good behavior - Um, how good are you at wearing your winter hat? Kids aren't dummies, and no matter how important you say it is to wear a hat - if you don't do so, you don't have much credibility.

How do you get your kids to dress appropriately for the winter weather?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ideabug

by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 7:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lillucky8
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 8:44 AM
My dd hates being cold so she loves bundling up. She wears a nice thick sweatshirt or fleece, then her jacket, hat, mittens :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetmissy_05
by Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 8:45 AM

My girls don't mind bundling up when it's cold out.

momma-flynn
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 7:33 AM
We don't have to bundle often, but dd loves to wear hats, scarves & gloves.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
4kidz916
by Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 7:57 AM

We don't usually get extremely cold weather so it's not a big challenge for me.

MamaBear2cubs
by Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 8:41 AM

It is not really a struggle for us.

GwenMB
by Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Pretty much anything is negotiable - I think below 20 degrees, I do insist on a coat on the 4 yo - he is the balky one.  30 degrees isn't that cold (to this Minnesotan anyway).  If they are cold, they will dress better next time!  Getting cold doesn't make you sick - that's an old wives tale.

I just model appropriate dressing for the weather & make sure that what they "should" be wearing is available.  I do cringe at my 4 yo refusing to wear his coat & sometimes wonder what other people think.  But until its in the 20s or colder, I don't force it.  Luckily, by that point it isn't hard to get his coat on him.

ceciliam
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Luckily, my son likes gloves, hats and scarves.

Madelaine
by Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Ours dont mind bundling up.

fraujones
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 10:19 AM

It can be a battle some mornings. We've bought things she really likes which helps. I need to work on modeling good behavior. I often go out without a hat or gloves when I'm rushed (which is pretty much all of the time ;)

Bmat
by Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 10:47 AM

If they resist what I consider reasonable, I let them choose, and if they get cold, next time they dress warmly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN