Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cold Weather Fashion

Posted by   + Show Post

Long gone are the days of throwing on a pair of flip flops and running out the door. Leaving the house in the winter takes a bit more preparation, and if you aren't careful, your kids may walk out the door looking a bit, shall we say, homeless. My own children are absolutely famous for leaving the house in 30 degree weather wearing a sleeveless shirt, a tutu and flowery sandals. When they are called on it, the protestations of "But this is what I want to wear - and I'm not cold!" seem to fill my ears forever.

How to get the kids to dress appropriately for the weather is a constant discussion in my house - and I'd venture to say, in yours as well. Short of holding them down and forcing the correct weather apparel on their bodies, how do you do it?

• Make it fun - there's a reason that there is a proliferation of character gear available - kids are more apt to wear a Hello, Kitty hat than a plain black hone - so take advantage of it. Maybe your boy loves MInecraft; there are a ton of Minecraft winter apparel opportunities. Maybe your daughter goes gaga for Barbie - buy some Barbie gloves and watch her refuse to take them off.
  • Make some of it non negotiable - In our house, a hat is an absolute after a certain temperature drop, and because my children are asthmatics, scarves are also required (on the recommendation of their allergist). I allow more wiggle room on gloves. Pick what your battle area is and let the rest go. For my own mom, we always had to have a coat that covered our bottoms.
  • Let them pick out their gear - Especially as your child gets a bit older, giving her a bit of money and some guidelines to buy winter gear may work in your favor. It's less work for you, she gets to feel like a big shot, and the odds are better that she will wear it.
  • Model good behavior - Um, how good are you at wearing your winter hat? Kids aren't dummies, and no matter how important you say it is to wear a hat - if you don't do so, you don't have much credibility.

How do you get your kids to dress appropriately for the winter weather?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ideabug

by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 7:35 AM
Replies (11-20):
MamaMandee
by Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 11:11 AM

My kids are good about dressing appropriately. 

timon95
by New Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 12:26 PM

put it in front of them and tell them if they do not dress warm enough they do not play outside.

natesmom1228
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 12:37 PM

My son hates being cold so getting him to wear a coat is not a problem in the winter.

MichelleK41
by New Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Ours are oretty good about dressing for the colder weather. I just remind them coats.

elasmimi
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 1:19 PM

It's not easy, because I'm not a good role model. She knows she has to wear a coat to school, or no recess, and she loves gloves, but a hat for her is out of the question. She wouldn't even wear one when she was a baby.

goddess99
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 4:58 PM

It's so cold here, my dd just does it automatically.

BabyTeki
by New Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 5:02 PM
Layers and warm hats
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 5:41 PM

my son loves getting warm clothes on.

Wish2Be
by New Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 5:56 PM

I love getting coats and hats with ears on them :)

Wish2Be
by New Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Quoting momma-flynn:

We don't have to bundle often, but dd loves to wear hats, scarves & gloves.

Same here since we live in Florida :(

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN