Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fashion Resolutions to Keep with Your Kids

Posted by   + Show Post

As the year draws to a close, many people make New Year's Resolutions. Often they revolve around betterment of self - lose weight, become more organized, take a self defense course. Kids are less apt to make resolutions, and if they do, their resolutions tend to revolve aorund friends and love interests.

What about making a fashion resolution?

It's a fairly unknown concept, but a fashion resolution - or a shopping resolution - can be just the thing for your elementary, preteen or teenage child. What are some ways that you'd like your child to change his or her style? Would you like to shop more, or less? Would you like to get your child into clothes that wouldn't double as workout gear, or try to have your daughter tone down the pink princess outfits just a smidgen.

Make a fashion resolution.

Go over the idea with your child. Will you attempt to get your child to wear more than jeans every day? Go over the guidelines and draw up some boundaries. Then spend time together creating the outfits that you'd like to see. for a younger child, it can be helpful to take pictures and create a kind of "fashion cheat sheet". I've posted photos on my daughter's bulletin board that are labeled school and church - it helps her to see what an appropriate outfit might be, and keeps me from becoming annoyed at the 486 wardrobe changes. It also removes any argument about what is appropriate.

Maybe, though, your child has too many clothes, and your fashion resolution is more of a shopping resolution. Pick a day in the future, and vow to avoid buying any new clothes until that day. This forces children to be creative, and in many cases, they discover clothing that they didn't remember that they had.

In our house, I like to spend the last day of the year cleaning out closets and drawers in preparation for the new year. It's a great way to put away the new gear that they might have received for the holidays, remove the clothing that was replaced (hooray, the jeans with blown out knees can leave our house!) and pass down the outfits that are suddenly too small - thanks, mid season growth spurt.

Make this New Year's one to remember by making a fashion resolution!

Fashion (or shopping) resolutions [Find Their Style]

ŠiStockphoto.com/RelaxFoto.de

by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 7:10 PM
Replies (31-34):
fraujones
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:11 AM
That's a good idea. I usually give them to the Salvation Army. I've also given some away here on cafemom.

Quoting cara124:

in my area they have a place where you can donate things to foster kids... maybe see if they have something similar to that in your area ?

Quoting fraujones:

I want to go through DD's closet and donate items she doesn't care for. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cara124
by New Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this

have to say after having 2 teenage girls , I love having a boy because DS 11 just wears whatever I put in the dresser/closet and doesn't complain LOL

cara124
by New Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I've been trying to donate a lot of the kids stuff off to places that can really use it ....

Quoting fraujones:

That's a good idea. I usually give them to the Salvation Army. I've also given some away here on cafemom.

Quoting cara124:

in my area they have a place where you can donate things to foster kids... maybe see if they have something similar to that in your area ?

Quoting fraujones:

I want to go through DD's closet and donate items she doesn't care for. 

jessicasmom1
by Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:15 AM

thanks sorry for the typo .. DD went through that phase only leggings, yoga pants until she was in Middle school which she is 12 now just branching out now. Jeans never fit her well until she sprouted in height and she will not wear lighter things she thinks she will get dirty quicker.

Quoting cara124:

Quoting jessicasmom1:

I try to get her to wear jeans or black pants so anyt shirt goes with those colors and accessories

maybe try gray or tan as the neutral color... I know DD 15 won't wear jeans till she was like 11 .. so her bottoms were a lot of yoga pants/leggings ... in black/gray/tan mostly .

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN