Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you ever buy expensive clothing for you kids?

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:42 AM
  • 19 Replies

If so, what kind of brands do you like, and why?

I'm a student and mother of two, and I'm currently writing my master's thesis on parents' consumption of upmarket clothing for young children, and I would love it if someone would be give me another reason apart from the great quality of the clothes.

If you don't want to say why you buy expensive clothing for your children, or you simply don't buy them, why do you think some people do?

I am also looking for participants in my study, so if you are interested please message me :)

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lish2127
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I used to when I only had one kid. Now with 3, it's a matter of cost. I do appreciate quality clothing because it lasts longer, fits better, and looks cute, but in reality kids grow fast and get things dirty and worn out. I think it's fine to have a few nicer items, but balanced out with practical, comfortable, affordable clothes as well.

wakymom
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:57 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't buy really expensive things b/c they outgrow it so fast. The closest I've gotten to "expensive" was when I was buying ds1 only Levi's jeans- he needed an oddball size 11, and they were the only brand I could find that in.

I think some people buy the expensive clothes as a status thing- "Look at what I can afford to buy my kid!"

HisUsmcWifey
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:31 AM
1 mom liked this

yes I do. I only buy name brand clothes for Gianna. I typically buy her gymboree, naartjje, gap, Janie and Jack, Matilda Jane, and customs.

hkcason
by New Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Each of my kids has come home in designer duds. The 1st was Tommy, the last 2 Ralph Lauren. With my older son I was single living w/ my mom so I could blow $$ on stuff like that. Now I only do it every so often, like if its a special outfit, like the coming home outfit. Being a SAHM w/ soon to be 3 kids I have to be mindful of the cost of things.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Mom23Littles
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:40 PM

I never bought expensive items with my first two because I felt like they would outgrow them too fast etc... and what's the point, right?  I donated all of their clothes and they've gotten good wear, but they looked like donated used clothes.

With my third I was introduced to some newer, more expenive lines of clothing and after looking into it I decided to try buying them for awhile.  Aside from cuteness and style of clothing (because I could find clothing at about any price point that I thought was cute) it was based on pretty much one reason - resale value.  Now quality does come into play for this but that's because it alters the resale. 

I could spend $50 on Target or Wal-Mart clothes, wear them until they had holes in them or we grew out of them and then pass them on.  I'm out $50.  The same goes for moderate brands like Gymboree and GAP.  Those have some resale value, but not much.  I can spend $600 on a wardrobe made of the same items I would have gotten for $50, but the difference is they look great, they wash fabulous so don't look worn and I can sell them for almost the same amount (sometimes more) than what I paid for them.  Worst case scenario I'd sell them for $550 and still be out the same $50 I'd be out otherwise. 

There are some higher priced dresses out there that almost instantly become "collectable".  You could pay $50 for a dress and two weeks later someone might want to buy it for $200.  There's a whole world of high priced kid clothing out there like this - primarily for girls I will admit, but it's there. 

I would not just buy high priced clothes to buy high priced clothes.  If it's a pair of jeans and it's not going to be worth much, I'm buying the pair that is a reasonable cost and wears well.

HisUsmcWifey
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:09 AM
I've been buying and selling gymbo for 6 years and there is tons of resale value. I've gotten more for items from a htf line than I paid for them brand new. The right items sell for big $$. The same can be said for MJ. I've bought clothes for cheap and sold for lots but I've also bought $100 outfits and it sold for dirt cheap. It just depends on the line, etc. I don't buy strictly on resale either. I love the quality and how well it wears. I hand wash in cold and line dry do Gianna's clothes last forever and look amazing in the process. I can't buy cheap clothes because she's rough on them and clothes from Walmart last us about 3 days of outside play and they are done for. Lol

Quoting Mom23Littles:

I never bought expensive items with my first two because I felt like they would outgrow them too fast etc... and what's the point, right?  I donated all of their clothes and they've gotten good wear, but they looked like donated used clothes.

With my third I was introduced to some newer, more expenive lines of clothing and after looking into it I decided to try buying them for awhile.  Aside from cuteness and style of clothing (because I could find clothing at about any price point that I thought was cute) it was based on pretty much one reason - resale value.  Now quality does come into play for this but that's because it alters the resale. 

I could spend $50 on Target or Wal-Mart clothes, wear them until they had holes in them or we grew out of them and then pass them on.  I'm out $50.  The same goes for moderate brands like Gymboree and GAP.  Those have some resale value, but not much.  I can spend $600 on a wardrobe made of the same items I would have gotten for $50, but the difference is they look great, they wash fabulous so don't look worn and I can sell them for almost the same amount (sometimes more) than what I paid for them.  Worst case scenario I'd sell them for $550 and still be out the same $50 I'd be out otherwise. 

There are some higher priced dresses out there that almost instantly become "collectable".  You could pay $50 for a dress and two weeks later someone might want to buy it for $200.  There's a whole world of high priced kid clothing out there like this - primarily for girls I will admit, but it's there. 

I would not just buy high priced clothes to buy high priced clothes.  If it's a pair of jeans and it's not going to be worth much, I'm buying the pair that is a reasonable cost and wears well.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SandyLaxner
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:17 AM

No expensive clothes here!  5yo DS is outfitted in the finest Walmart $3.88 shirts and pants.  Yesterday I scooped up 5 pair of sturdy sweatpants for him at target,$1.50 on clearance.  SAHM here and want to stay that way.

HisUsmcWifey
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:31 AM
I'm a sahm as well. I do have a small photography business on the side though. If you buy at the right time and use coupons you can pay less for name brand than you would for most items at target or Walmart.,

Quoting SandyLaxner:

No expensive clothes here!  5yo DS is outfitted in the finest Walmart $3.88 shirts and pants.  Yesterday I scooped up 5 pair of sturdy sweatpants for him at target,$1.50 on clearance.  SAHM here and want to stay that way.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I hardly ever even buy clothes for my kids much less expensive ones.  BUT my neighbor does, she's shopping all the time for clothes for her 3 kids.  I love it because I get all there hand me downs.  Who really needs 30 pairs of 2T jeans, that's what she gave me one day, she's crazy.  She's a RN and I think she just loves spending money.

godsgirl26
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Yes i do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)