Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The holidays are coming up...

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2012 at 6:33 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 306 Total Views

Do you make all or some of your gifts and if so, what do you like to give? Do you make your own decorations? As always, got pics? LOL

With 4 girls, a DIL and 2 Mil's, jewelry will be given. LOL I struggle every year to find some kind of craft that I can give to Tom that I can make without him seeing. Obviously, if I do a stained glass project, he will see that since he's always over my shoulder going "Whatcha doin?" and the studio is in the laundry room anyway. LOL Bad planning on my part. I would love to make him something for his office--he works from home 99% of the time. I just don't know what.
I love decorating for the holidays and in about 4 weeks I will put up my village. I takes over an entire room so I have to plan on this...especially since this will most likely be the last year I can do it for a while since we have a couple of grandbabies due in March! (Two different kids, due within 8 days of each other!) I will definitely post some pictures of the village when i figure out where it's going and get it all set up. It takes me about two weeks when I am working and a week when I am not to set everything up. I can't wait!

by on Oct. 29, 2012 at 6:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
black.eyeliner
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 3:35 AM

I am trying to do our first traditional Yule this year. I have many handmade items that I will be giving out. I have been knitting and crocheting like mad. Right now it is monsters, cowls, and scarves. There will be homemade fudge as well. I want to do as much as possible.

DaniandTom
by The Craft Queen on Nov. 5, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Ohhh fudge! I used to have a recipe for a microwave fudge that was really easy! I think there were only like 4 ingredients and it was GOOD! LOL Of course, anything with sugar in it is good IMO. :)~
I love homemade gifts. Aside from the whole not having to fight the crowds, to me it means so much more. When someone takes the time to make something that they think you will like, it's just special!  I'm making beaded bracelets for all the girls and since 2 of them are having babies next year, I'm making a baby book for each of them. The nice thing is one is having a boy and one is having a girl! 

Quoting black.eyeliner:

I am trying to do our first traditional Yule this year. I have many handmade items that I will be giving out. I have been knitting and crocheting like mad. Right now it is monsters, cowls, and scarves. There will be homemade fudge as well. I want to do as much as possible.

Cherish77
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:08 AM
Mainly I only make cookies for Christmas. I just finished my blanket and that took me like 3-5 months so I won't have any done by Christmas.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DaniandTom
by The Craft Queen on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:18 AM

NOTHING wrong with Christmas cookies...I love cookies. LOL One of these days I am going to have to start baking again. I quit when my daughter was little because she was diagnosed with diabetes. I had to keep a real strict diet because she's a "brittle" diabetic-meaning it's very hard to keep her sugars under control. So, even sugar free stuff had to be liimited. Now she's grown and out of the house and I got grandbabies coming next year! Gotta be the grandma that everyone loves! LOL

Quoting Cherish77:

Mainly I only make cookies for Christmas. I just finished my blanket and that took me like 3-5 months so I won't have any done by Christmas.

Cherish77
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:32 AM
Lol, yeah.Some years it feels tedious, but somehow its not Christmas without them.

Quoting DaniandTom:

NOTHING wrong with Christmas cookies...I love cookies. LOL One of these days I am going to have to start baking again. I quit when my daughter was little because she was diagnosed with diabetes. I had to keep a real strict diet because she's a "brittle" diabetic-meaning it's very hard to keep her sugars under control. So, even sugar free stuff had to be liimited. Now she's grown and out of the house and I got grandbabies coming next year! Gotta be the grandma that everyone loves! LOL

Quoting Cherish77:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DaniandTom
by The Craft Queen on Nov. 13, 2012 at 2:31 PM

What's your favorite kind of cookie to make for the holidays? My grandmother used to bake all kinds of goodies and I LOVED going to her house because she always had something but around Christmas she made Scottish shortbread. OMG That stuff is heaven on earth! It would just melt in your mouth like cotton candy but it tasted sooooo good! She used real butter and a TON of it! LOL That's why she only made it once a year. I wish I had gotten the recipe but she had a stroke before I was old enough to truly appreciate what she did. All her recipes were in her head. I've tried the commercial shortbreads but none of them even come close to hers. Walkers is the closest.

LivinDeadGurl
Not feeling well today. Just want to curl up and sleep.
Yesterday at 5:29 PM
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 3:12 PM

I usually don't make anything but the food we eat....lol.

I do plan on making the kids blankets this year and maybe matching pillows. Not sure on what else.

DaniandTom
by The Craft Queen on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Oh boy! That's a big undertaking with 4 kids!! Will they be Christmas gifts?

Quoting LivinDeadGurl:

I do plan on making the kids blankets this year and maybe matching pillows. Not sure on what else.

LivinDeadGurl
Not feeling well today. Just want to curl up and sleep.
Yesterday at 5:29 PM
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I am hoping so. I may have them as gifts for two of them for Christmas and then wait and make the other two for birthday gifts since two have birthday's in February.

I may just do big no-sew fleece sets for them all though, so it won't take much time if I do that. I am undecided right now.

Quoting DaniandTom:

Quoting LivinDeadGurl:

DaniandTom
by The Craft Queen on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:38 AM

I've never used those but I have seen some adorable baby printed fleece that I am toying with making blankets for both my soon-to-be grandbabies. (Have 2 coming in March) Is it pretty easy to work with? 

Quoting LivinDeadGurl:

I am hoping so. I may have them as gifts for two of them for Christmas and then wait and make the other two for birthday gifts since two have birthday's in February.

I may just do big no-sew fleece sets for them all though, so it won't take much time if I do that. I am undecided right now.

Quoting DaniandTom:

Quoting LivinDeadGurl:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)