Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Is it important to be your child's friend?

Posted by   + Show Post

Where do you draw the line between being a friend to your child and being their parent?

girl giving flower

by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 8:41 AM
Replies (21-30):
JulieBrown
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 4:44 AM

I think it is most important to be someone that protects them and someone they trust.   I enjoy being my child's buddy, but if they can't count on you it means nothing. 

artistmom889
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 5:18 AM

Yes, I try to be her friend ,but when it comes to a choice, I am her mother first . Sometimes doing what is best for her does not make me look like a 'friend'.

TheJerseyGirl
by Silver Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 5:26 AM

I know its a fine line but I feel like our conversations are better, our relationship is stronger and we enjoy each other more when we act like friends. I'll always be their parent but I love when they want to talk to me or hang out because they actually like me!

SlapItHigh
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 6:19 AM

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

I know its a fine line but I feel like our conversations are better, our relationship is stronger and we enjoy each other more when we act like friends. I'll always be their parent but I love when they want to talk to me or hang out because they actually like me!

Good point!

Ihold8Stars
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:18 AM
1 mom liked this
A Mother is a mother-

A child only has 1 real mother

A child will be lucky to have 1 good childhood friend follow into adult life.

Mother is forever and Always...

Friends are like Flowers either annuual or perennial...

Don't be a friend.. Be a Mom! Don't flake out on your kid trying to be some tv sitcom mom or "the cool mom" that is Not what your children need.. They need structure and guidence and if your child has fun along the way they will say I have a great mom!!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomaubrys2
by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Quoting SlapItHigh:

There's no line for me.  They are two separate things.  I am my child's mother and friend.  Just like I don't have to draw any lines between being my husband's wife and his friend. I'm both.

Exactly this.  =D

Mommy4two
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 8:51 AM

My children know I have rules and as long as those rules are obeyed and followed we are able to be friends also... But at the end of the day I'm the adult and you're the child and you need to know where you place is in my home and in the world as well...

coala
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 9:13 AM

I am a Mom and a friend.  Mom first....always!!!  I will guide and teach them right from wrong and how those choices will effect their future.  I will also listen when they need a "friend" that has more wisdom than their peers and can remember the mistakes that they made.

sjenkins8208
by Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 9:29 AM
I plan on being my children's parent! Maybe when they are legal ADULTS I might consider being a parent and a friend. I wouldn't be " friends" with a child anyways.....
mamaraylene
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 9:31 AM

I my children's parent first. They will always be my friend; I just have lines I draw between the two. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN