Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Is it important to be your child's friend?

Posted by   + Show Post

Where do you draw the line between being a friend to your child and being their parent?

girl giving flower

by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 8:41 AM
Replies (81-87):
elasmimi
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 9:23 AM

I love being her friend, but when it is something important, she knows when I have to draw the line that I mean it.

GypsiSky
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 2:56 PM

I completely feel the same way... Well said :)

Quoting SlapItHigh:

There's no line for me.  They are two separate things.  I am my child's mother and friend.  Just like I don't have to draw any lines between being my husband's wife and his friend. I'm both.

inmybizz
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I have a 8yr old and I'm the mom(parent)..We have fun and hang out but right now i'm the mom..I think relationships grow and change, i look forward to the changes in our relationship.

MrsRobinson06
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 3:12 PM
My oldest is only six so right now im still mom. Im sure that at some point in the teen years is when a friendship relationship will begin but i will always be mom and will always provide my two cents.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 5:03 PM

My children know I love them and am there for them.  I make sure they know it is okay (in fact good) to confide in me, but not to be wishy washy or let my children do things they know they shouldn't just because I want them to like me. 

elwalters77
by Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:43 AM

My job is to parent. I am nice and kind to my children. We have fun together. There is love, but my job isn't to be their friend, it is to be their parent.

alliesmom112
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:12 PM

I think kids need to know you are their parents not their friends but you also want them to know that they can come talk to about things too. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN