Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Can divorce actually be good for your kids?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you think divorce can actually be good for your kids? 

Do you think couples should avoid divorce when they have young kids?  

punching

by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:42 AM
Replies (11-20):
peaches_04
by Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 11:44 AM
I remember praying for my parents to get a divorce
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pampire
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 5:16 PM

I agree with this

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

I think if parents are better parents apart/away from each other then yes divorce is better for kids.  Seeing parents fight and mistreat each other, being miserable but staying married is not good for kids at all.

Co-parenting even when divorced can lead to happy emotionally healthy kids

VintageWife
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 7:49 PM

If it's an unstable home, then I'd say it's better for them to be apart.

peaches_04
by Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 12:18 AM
1 mom liked this
It can if staying with your spouse teaches your child its ok to let your husband treat you like garbage or teaches your child its ok to treat your spouse that way
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SlapItHigh
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:20 AM

No, divorce can never be good for the kids :(.

Cafe Robin
by Head Admin on Nov. 29, 2012 at 6:39 PM

If the parents can get along fine, I think they should stay together. 

If there's trouble and their kids are affected by it, it may be best to split.

mmyof2armywife
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:12 AM

It can be good. In my situation I have 2 kids by different daddy's so my oldest Isn't my stbx and all he and I did was fight and dd would have night terrors since we've been gone dd hasn't had a single one.

Mrs.Brugger
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:12 AM

It depends on the situation. It's best for kids to see their parents happy and respected/respectful, even if that means their parents are apart.

specialwingz
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I disagree with this.  I spent 25 years in an abusive marriage.  Hid it from the kids very well.  But, on top of all the regular abuse, the man nearly killed me - TWICE!  Tell me how that is good for the kids, even if they don't know.

What I think is that it's easy for those who've never been in a bad marriage to say how easy it is to hide it and stay for the sake of the kids.

Quoting mydarlingsofia:

I think if the couple is fighting all the time and it's affecting their kids, then yes, it's best. But if they are able to hide it and be happy for their kids or work it out, then being in a stable household is best.

1lv2stks3nlz4ev
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:17 AM
1 mom liked this

If my parents had divorced when we were kids I KNOW for a FACT we would have been better off. The screaming and abuse both to my mother and us 3 girls got worse and worse. Had she had the strength to leave him my life would have been alot differnt

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN