Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Can divorce actually be good for your kids?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you think divorce can actually be good for your kids? 

Do you think couples should avoid divorce when they have young kids?  

punching

by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:42 AM
Replies (111-120):
grnsmomma
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:52 PM

My parents divorced when I was around 10 and I wish they would have done it much sooner.  My dad was a mean man and a horrible husband, verbally (and I'm sure physically) abusive to my mom.  I've had a lot of trust issues in relationships.

jjchick75
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Yes. If the parents are fighting constantly than yes I think the kids are better off. if one parent is being abusive than yes I think the kids are better off. 

mine01369
by New Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:59 PM

yes.... I came from a divorced family.  My parents get along better apart then together.  It was horrible living with the 2 of them I just wanted to run away.  I loved them both to death but I wanted OUT!!!!  They got a divorce when I was 8 and I had open visitation and lived with my mom.  My brother lived with my dad.  My parents talked to each other about everything that was going on and it was a complete slip parenting involvement.  They made sure everything was about the kids and not themselves.  Like most people do today.  I was made to visit my dad on set days and there was no exception.  If I wanted to stay longer or go back earlier that was ok.  But there was no crap between the family it just wasn't allowed.  My dad even did X-mas eve at my moms house every year..  This may be the first year it may not happen.  after 24 years of this routine I don't know if I can accept that lol.  Love my parents and thankful they got divorcrd...

New.OrleansLady
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:02 PM

For us it as wonderful. We were happier once my parents split 

strawberryLVR
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:20 PM

better to be from a broken home, then to live in one! There shouldn't be abuse and horrible things like that, that kids have to see and deal with. better to have a peaceful home and no fighting

xxshelbyxxx
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:23 PM
Duh it can be good for them!! Why would it be healthy for a kid to witness his parents fighting every day all day? Like I did up until I was 13 years old, it was horrible listening to them scream through the floor boards, up in my room it sounded even louder through the floor then it did when I was downstairs watching them yell.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ihold8Stars
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:42 PM
YES- if one person want a divorce then it's not a good thing to force them to stay. The tension the tears the arguments will hurt the kids!

Women who stay for the kids always trip me out cuz it's not for the kids! It's a excuse women use because they are in love and afraid. Grow up pull them big girl panties on and do whatcha gotta do.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sparky1006
by Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:52 PM

yes sometimes it can be fine for the kids

Because they don't have to be put in the middle of things

Serenitymom
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:13 PM

I think it depends on the situation, most cases, yes. Especially if divorce was even considered. If its that bad, then something needs to be done. But also in the same instance, people are creatures of adaptation. Divorce should be the last option, no one is born to know how to tolerate each other, we are only shown by exposure, and taught what life gives us. Some need a little extra help with emotional issues that are a little beyond their control. Everyone situation is different, but also so many are similar in different ways. Its hard to know what to do.

alexsmomma06
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Absolutely is can be a good thing. I have seen it countless times where the kids are so much happier once their parents split up. Who wants to live in a house with 2 people who hate each other?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN