Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Can divorce actually be good for your kids?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you think divorce can actually be good for your kids? 

Do you think couples should avoid divorce when they have young kids?  

punching

by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:42 AM
Replies (121-130):
MamaKarrot
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:21 PM
3 moms liked this

two happy homes is better than one unhappy one.

Maisy08
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:36 PM
My parents fought all the time and it sucked the life out of me. True story!!!!!!
jedwards2009
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:18 PM
2 moms liked this

I think it can be good for the kids if the over all environment is toxic. My ex and I didn't fight, but you could just feel the tension in the house. It got to the point where my friends stopped coming over because they said it just felt too weird.  DD wasn't even 2 yet, and she threw massive fits all the time. Once I finally left and moved into my own place, dd turned into a different child.  Her dad and I were both happier, and were both better parents after I left.  

powertothekids
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:30 PM

it really depends if bad things are happening that afect the kid in a bad way its a good thing

Tay06
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:46 PM
1 mom liked this

When my parents divorced when I was 7 it was the best thing that could have ever happened.  My parents were always fighting and my father was physically abusive.  He gave up his rights finally when I turned 14 because by then he had remarried and his wife told him to pick between my sisters and I and her and he told the judge he didn't want anything to do with us anymore.  BEST day of my life after the day my son was born.  Seriously, I was in Hell and court four to five times a year until that day.

azeventdiva
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 12:51 AM

If you are unhappy, you can never truly hide it from them. Sometimes it is best to try to work things out, but sometimes it really is best for EVERYONE's health, happiness & wellbeing to do the big D

Quoting mydarlingsofia:

I think if the couple is fighting all the time and it's affecting their kids, then yes, it's best. But if they are able to hide it and be happy for their kids or work it out, then being in a stable household is best.

moemorin
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 5:17 AM

I think that being in a stable relationship is very important....but, I got divorced when my daughter was 8 years old. We had been married 20 years and she was quite a surprise. Our whole life changed and we no longer could get along at all. My daughter is now almost 14 and she is glad that we are divorced. She barely remembers her father and I together but I know what she does remember is not anything happy.

I also overheard her telling a new friend on the phone, "Don't be sorry, I'm glad my parents are divorced!".

Mainegirl
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 10:34 AM

i think if it has to do with a domestic violence or any abuse then it would be a good thing.

Betsy524
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Absolutely it can be much better for the children. When a household is miserable, who (especially emotionally,  spiritually, etc... growing children) can benefit? Even my parents were divocred when I was a young child. Yes, it was difficult at first, getting used to 2 households, etc..., but through therapy and mentors I realised, even at a young age, that my situation had improved. Especially at Christmas and birthdays....LOL (Double the presents!!). But on a more mature  level, I was able to develop very close relationships with each of them, that I am not sure I could have developed if they had maintained the pre-divorce lifestyle.

momofsixangels
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 12:09 PM

If there is fighting and tension then I think its better for the kids to not be in that situation.They could grow up to think thats normal and they could have anger issues as well.It would be better for the parents to divorce

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)